This is why you need a backup plan!!

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
letitrip

This is why you need a backup plan!!

Post by letitrip »

I know a few here have stressed this before and I'll add my recent experience as another example of why you should have a backup plan to cover a failure to any of the equipment in your rig. Last week at one of my regular gigs, we arrived, setup the whole rig, powered up the rack and went to bring up the laptop. It wouldn't even POST (Power On Self Test). A couple lights came on and nothing else, no fan, the drive didn't spin up, nothing. Since I run the show from there, this is not a good thing.

Now luckily for me, I had a plan for just this scenario. Grabbed the second laptop that we have at my shows for searching the song books electronically, showing off our website, etc and connected it up. Ran the whole show without an issue since I had already installed 2nd copies of all the software I use. It didn't take more than 5 minutes to get it up and running ready for the show and I was still ready to go 15 minutes ahead of show time.

Now the laptop I had been using was older so I did kind of expect this might happen sooner or later, however it didn't show any signs leading up to this (as computers rarely do). One day it was working fine, the next day it won't even power up.

BTW: Turns out it was the hard drive that failed, but since this was the second drive in 2 years (I think there may be a bigger system board or power issue) and the machine has other problems, I went out and bought a new laptop this weekend.

Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

This is why I have a back up everything. You name it I have 2 of them. Usually with me.

Laptop, video processor, hard drive and all the needed power adapters.

Think about all the KJs on a "Budget" that don't want to spend the money to back everything up. Totally doesn't make sense. You would have looked like a fool and gone home without getting paid. And the bar owner would have been out a lot of money. How many times (nights) do you think the bar owner would take a money hit because you can not finish a show. Before he replaces you or sues you for lost money. You have a written or verbal contract to put on a show. You should be fully prepared to fulfill your obligation.

I had a guy that started KJing a few years ago come to my show. He use to sing with me and hired me to do several parties at his house. He started KJing after not seeing him for several years. Anyway he tells me he likes the money from doing parties and weddings. He saw my computer setup and wants to do the same. He's still discs.

Anyway I tell him that he should have back ups for everything. He says he can't afford to do it or he doesn't think it's necessary. Could be trying to be cheap.

I told him if he contracts to do someones wedding and he screws it up he will be sued for the reception hall, the food and anything else the bride and groom want to sue for. Weddings cost tens of thousands of dollars today.

He has decided to stay with discs for now. (CHEAP)

Any professional KJ that wants to do weddings better be prepared or be prepared to be sued.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

To me, I can't afford to not have a backup plan for everything. I don't necessarily have backups for every possible thing, but anything I don't have backup equipment for, I have a backup plan for such that my show will go on uninterrupted. An example, I don't have a backup right now for my external sound card, not because I'm cheap (they're only $30-50) but just don't really need it. If I lose either the external or the internal sound card, I know how to switch immediately to using one sound card for both decks. If both fail at the same time (incredibly unlikely) i can go to the backup laptop.

Things like that are so important, I make it my priority to have established plans for a failure at any point in the chain. To me it's absolutely foolish not to.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

i had a backup plan that failed. We have two laptops lost one friday night lost the hard drive tried to have it fixed sat. no parts available till monday. my computer guy says i will back it all up on memory sticks incase it would happen to your back up. sounds great but that wont happen. sat night set start running show lose the second hard drive. quick hook up cd player run show make phone call get mem sticks and get it back so having a back up of the back up isn't a dumb idea. if you can.
stevesdjservice

Post by stevesdjservice »

Bigdog wrote:This is why I have a back up everything. You name it I have 2 of them. Usually with me.

Think about all the KJs on a "Budget" that don't want to spend the money to back everything up. Totally doesn't make sense. You would have looked like a fool and gone home without getting paid. And the bar owner would have been out a lot of money. How many times (nights) do you think the bar owner would take a money hit because you can not finish a show. Before he replaces you or sues you for lost money. You have a written or verbal contract to put on a show. You should be fully prepared to fulfill your obligation.

I had a guy that started KJing a few years ago come to my show. He use to sing with me and hired me to do several parties at his house. He started KJing after not seeing him for several years. Anyway he tells me he likes the money from doing parties and weddings. He saw my computer setup and wants to do the same. He's still discs.

Anyway I tell him that he should have back ups for everything. He says he can't afford to do it or he doesn't think it's necessary. Could be trying to be cheap.

I told him if he contracts to do someones wedding and he screws it up he will be sued for the reception hall, the food and anything else the bride and groom want to sue for. Weddings cost tens of thousands of dollars today.

Any professional KJ that wants to do weddings better be prepared or be prepared to be sued.
Are there alot of people who have Karaoke at their weddings anyway??
Steve's DJ/Karaoke Service
"Music Is The Soundtrack Of Our Lives"
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Karaoke is a popular item whenever karaoke singers marry. Because they uaually meet their partner at karaoke.

But a lot of KJs , DJ or mix the 2.

Regardless, if you're DJing or KJing or both with a computer set up. No back....STUPID.

It doesn't have to only be a wedding. What about a corporate party/function. Or a dance or private party. If the people that hire you spent a lot of money on the party and they expect to hire you to be the entertainment provider and you screw it up for whatever reason...you should be prepared to be sued for some amount of damage.

Karaoke is a fun thing to do at parties. Doesn't have to be all night.

I have a nother question for you. Whenever you DJ at a new bar do you give them a price break to get things going?
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

stevesdjservice wrote:
Bigdog wrote:This is why I have a back up everything. You name it I have 2 of them. Usually with me.

Are there alot of people who have Karaoke at their weddings anyway??

Karaoke is actually fairly popular at weddings. Last year I did 5 weddings that included Karaoke. Now that's without doing any real advertising. Unlike wedding DJ's, I don't go to wedding shows or advertise in the phonebook or on the radio. On top of those five I also had inquiries on a number of other weddings.

Now, I will say I've never seen an all Karaoke wedding nor do I ever expect to. People want to be able to dance, the bride and groom have all the usual traditions that they need DJ music for. So if you're going to offer weddings as one of the services you offer as a KJ, you have to be able to be a true emcee and know how to DJ (i.e. beat matching, planning play lists, cross fading, etc). if you're gonna do it right. On top of that you have got to understand how wedding receptions are run and be very organized.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

I have done karaoke for weddings and generally speaking have tried to talk them out of it because usually some one gets to drunk and makes an a$$ out of themselves and usually gets other people mad. Now I have it so i can play Karaoke songs if they really want. Most weddings that say they want it change their mind.
djBe

Post by djBe »

I carry three players, two TVs, four speakers, si x microphones...and when I go to a hard drive player this month, Iplan to bring at least my half dozen SCDGs and one CAVs player for a backup system incase the new player crashes.
Another guy I know with a CAVs JB-199 brings ALL his CDGs just in case, but keeps them locked outside the venues in his trailer. He's had to fall back on them two or three times already.
The only scenario where I'm not covered is the amplifier. If that goes, driving home is the backup plan as there is no room in my Tracker for a spare amp.
Can you hear me knocking...on wood.