dvd decoder

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
barneyboy

dvd decoder

Post by barneyboy »

Hi

I am curently running my karaoke from my laptop using Just Karaoke which I am happy with, however I have some dvd karaoke discs which I would like to use, currently my pc will not read dvd and says that I need a dvd decoder, I have looked at several which seem fine until I try to show the dvd on to a 2nd monitor for the audience, any sugestions please

thanks

Barney

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Can't you rip the songs from the DVD to your hard drive? It almost defeats the purpose of going digital if you are still using discs.

PowerKaraoke is a wonderful program, just not sure if it will work on DVD's or not.
Sabrina the Cat
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

VJRipper from www.clubdjpro.com rips dvds to hard drive. Just Karaoke will only play Mp3+G from what I rmember.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I believe Justkaraoke plays mp3+g, zip and bin files. Mine are all .zip files.
Sabrina the Cat
barneyboy

Post by barneyboy »

I know that just karaoke will not play dvds what I need is a decoder that will allow me to send image to 2nd screen, as far as ripping dvds to hard drive i am not sure what this involves as they are very different from normal cdgs
Ay ideas any one
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Okay, I need some education here! :lol:

What type of file is on a DVD? Is this the "midi" I have heard about? Why can't they be converted to a zip file?
Sabrina the Cat
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

They can't be converted to mp3+G zip but they are not midi either. They are the equivilant to laserkaraoke with the videos behind the lyrics. they can be uploaded into a computer as MPEG, WMV or AVI files But not as zip files. Once you have it in one of those formats you should be able to use winamp to play them.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

barneyboy wrote:I know that just karaoke will not play dvds what I need is a decoder that will allow me to send image to 2nd screen, as far as ripping dvds to hard drive i am not sure what this involves as they are very different from normal cdgs
Ay ideas any one
Hi there!
Sorry to appear thick but are you saying your laptop HAS a DVD drive but no software to play DVD's, or no DVD drive at all?

If the former, then download the freeware VLC player from here;

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

This plays "everything" video wise (not CDG, unfortunately).

If the latter, external DVD drives aren't expensive and could save you a lot of ripping, etc.

Sandy
barneyboy

Post by barneyboy »

Hi

what I really need is advice as to which decoder will allow me to send to 2nd monitor
Ta
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

barneyboy wrote:Hi

what I really need is advice as to which decoder will allow me to send to 2nd monitor
Ta
Hi Barneyboy,
it's isn't the decoder/DVD player that transfers the video, it's the laptop.

You have your standard screen and at the back, a second video output plug (15 pin).

Assuming it's enabled in the laptop's BIOS, you can elect to switch the video signal in three different ways.

1)just to the laptop screen (normal mode)
2)to the laptop AND the external plug (video on both)
3)just to the external plug (THIS IS BAD AS YOU WILL THINK YOUR LAPTOP HAS CRASHED!!!)

Usually, on the "F"unction keys on the laptop, you will see a SCREEN icon. Pressing the "Func" key + this "F" key will switch between the modes.

NOW!, at last with two outputs, you can opt to drag your lyric screen over to the 2nd monitor.

Right click on the laptop screen then click "Properties", click the "Desktop" tab. You should now see TWO monitor options and a box asking if you wish to extend your desktop to the 2nd monitor.

YOU DO!

Then, I'm afraid it's a matter of getting the correct display to appear on the correct screen.

Have fun.

Sandy
barneyboy

Post by barneyboy »

Hi
thanks thats great, next question is , I already run Just Karaoke and send it to 2nd monitor can I send two programmes at once ie one minimized whilst the other is seen and then reverse them so one is full screen ie Just karaoke and the 2nd "dvd" programme is minimized.
Hope that this makes sense

Barney
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

barneyboy wrote:Hi
thanks thats great, next question is , I already run Just Karaoke and send it to 2nd monitor can I send two programmes at once ie one minimized whilst the other is seen and then reverse them so one is full screen ie Just karaoke and the 2nd "dvd" programme is minimized.
Hope that this makes sense

Barney
If I understand you correctly, I don't think you can do that.

The problem is that one of your screens is the "MAIN" screen and the other is a "SLAVE".

IIRC, all the control aspects are retained on the "MAIN" screen and the "SLAVE" is just that!

Sorry but someone else might know better! :D

Sandy