How do I remove....

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

How do I remove....

Post by Bigdog »

Somehow a redirector that keeps taking me to Yahoo related stuff got into my computer. Where would do I look to get rid of it? :evil:

Or is it somehow imbedded in the site I want to visit and nothing to do with my computer?

letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Could be the site your visiting or it could be some kind of malware/spyware type thing. If you don't already have it see if you can download a copy of Spybot S&D (probably from a different computer - LOL). Run a scan and see what it finds and if it can remove it.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Logically, if you're looking for something that you wouldn't associate with Yahoo and you still get re-directed, then it's odds on your browser has been "hijacked". If you've suddenly accquired a Yahoo Toolbar on your browser and you don't remember ticking a box for it, then you are almost certainly Hijacked.

As posted above, Spybot is free and usually pretty good at getting rid of Malware.

However, be sure to run it in "SAFE" mode to hopefully stop the Hijacker loading.

Unfortunately, Hijack programs are getting pretty good at stopping Anti_Malware progs from running or updating.

One Anti_Malware prog that has a very good "Rep" and seems to be runnable even in the Hijackers presence is Malwarebytes.

Google for it and download. The basic version is free.

If all else fails, Google for and download Smitfraudfix.

BE AWARE!!! Smitfraudfix is brutal takes no prisoners.

It can sometimes appear that it has crashed your PC.

I HAVE USED IT MANY TIMES AND NEVER HAD A REAL CRASH! EVERYTHING WAS FINE AFTER A RE-BOOT!

As I said above, you might well have inadvertantly ticked a box somewhere and the Yahoo re-direct is your own fault but better to take no chances.

Best of luck,
Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It started happening when I want to come to this site.

It appears to be happening on every site link I have saved in "Favorites."

If I delete my favorites and re save them would that help???
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Unlikely that deleting your favourites would help, as Hijacker programs are designed to live in memory and re-direct from there.

As I said before, if it simply started happening for no apparent reason, then it is likely you have a Hijacker, sometimes called a "Browser helper", running.

I'm afraid it's "bite the bullet" time and run the suggested Malware removers.

Sandy
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Check the properties on your bookmarks (if it's Internet Explorer right click on one and go to properties). See if it points to a Yahoo URL (website address) or if it points to the webpage it is supposed to. If the URL is wrong, then just delete and re-add and see how that goes. What happens when you type in the URL? Does that work? If so then probably not a hijacker.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com