New Members...????

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I presume that a huge difference between BD and some, maybe most, of the rest of us is that this is BD's profession. Am I correct in that you don't have a "day job", BD?

With this being the case, he has to put more time, money, effort into his shows. As does anyone who relies on their KJ job to pay the bills.

Speaking strictly for myself, this is something that fell in my lap, per se. I wasn't looking for a KJ job; hubby and I were content to go out once a week and enjoy ourselves.

Our show started more like a favor ... we didn't have a professional set-up and only about 4,000 unique songs when we started. One year later we have a professional sounding system and about 9,000 unique songs.

I'm not looking for other shows so I don't have to have a professional set-up. I do, though, as a matter of pride. Although I'm sure if I listed what we have BD would be telling Edith he was going to join her. But in our area, it's a very decent system.

Basically what I am trying to say is that it depends on what you want our of your KJ business. If you are relying on it to pay your bills you need to be the best in your area. If it's just "extra" you still should run with the best out of pride. If it's something you do in your spare time, or at home, make yourself happy. You don't need to spend the $$$ for a professional system.

As far as ego goes, I think I can say that I have the best karaoke show in the world ... that is located in a deli. :wink:

Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I started my karaoke business as a "second" job.

Because of real job stability concerns and as a back up source of income.

Because I knew it was something I could do and be very good at doing. Plus I knew I had the talent to pull it off.

My #1 goal was to be the best KJ in the entire metro area. (I envisioned that to include the entire western half of my state.) :shock: (not my half of the block) What was my plan to do this?

First I knew exactly what I wanted to do as far as compared to what I had seen other KJs doing. I knew I could sound better and be more PROFESSIONAL.

Second I BORROWED $20,000 :shock: (As in bank loan with real monthly payments.) so I could do just that. This is where my committment level was to achieve that "Best KJ" goal. It took me 3 months to get my first job after I had my system put together.

My #2 goal was to EQUAL my full time income. :shock: (Not hobby money. Serious income money)

Within 1 year I screwed that up by surpassing my full time income. I have continued to surpass my full time income to this day. There was a time when I did this by 3 TIMES my full time income. The thought crossed my mind many times to quit my full time job. But I needed to wait to build up my seniority. For pension reasons.

It remained a second job for eleven years. I always worked 5 nights a week KJing. :shock: While working full time. :shock: :shock:

Let's talk about setting goals and my/your committment level.

Without specific goals being laid out by me/you, we have no road map to get ANYWHERE.

This is the part I really HATE... :twisted: :evil:

Every (almost every) person that wants to start being a KJ wants to do it as CHEAPLY as possible. WHY?

Lack of committment level and lack of a set goal and lack of confidence in your ability to do it and make money.

I absolutely knew I was going to pay back the $20,000 loan. I didn't have much choice after I spent all the money. The only way to pay back the loan was to (A) work a ton of overtime at my real job or (B) do it KJing.

Get committed or get lost. :shock:

I have seen many local "Cheap KJs" that are not working anymore. Big plans and no goals. They wasted their money and time swimming with one arm tied behind their back. Until they went under.

Don't cry and whine about me being good. There is a reason I'm at the top of the mountain.

DO YOU HAVE E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G IT TAKES TO CLIMB TO THE TOP?

There is no "CHEAP," "EASY" way.

I didn't get here being CHEAP. It wasn't EASY, either.

Anyone that says so is lying. Or STUPID.

The better you are, the more money you make. The better your chances of long term survival. I have ALWAYS looked at my business and treated my business like it was a major corporation. That includes my advertising, my PA system quality, my expensive microphones, my entire presentation, my office equipment, my art work, my level of professionalism. Not how cheap I can be. This in my reputation. The last thing I'll ever be accused of is being cheap. If I can't do it right the first time, I'm not doing it at all.

I don't think I'm being arrogant. I'm being honest. That includes being proud of what I have done. I also have a committment to promote QUALITY karaoke. Karaoke is not a joke form of entertainment to me. Is a band? Are DJs? Neither are KJs. I "CONTROL" a top quality, professional karaoke show.

I think I'm very qualified to talk about what it takes to run a "PROFESSIONAL" karaoke business. At every level. I don't beat around the bush. No time for that. Karaoke is very serious to me. Cheap isn't serious. Sabrina and others have found out you have to upgrade at some point. It's how you keep customers and jobs. That equals money in your pocket. Anyone can be cheap. How many can be good?

What/where do you want to be?

How are you going to get there?

I look at it this way. Tiger Woods is a golfer. You can watch him all day and never be him. People that golf once in a while are hackers. Everything he does is golf. Everything I do is karaoke.
soundtech

Post by soundtech »

Sabrina59 wrote:
soundtech wrote:some of us are afriad to say anything because in bigdogs eyes he is the best :D :D :D
Awww ... don't let the BD keep you from posting. He barks alot but he doesn't bite. :wink:
when theres something i do not know i will post it to find out but hey what can i say!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Actually one of the great things I love about this forum is all the differing opinions. Everyone has something to offer. Who knows ... you might come up with something that is the greatest thing since slided bread. :D

Not everyone lists their locations, but I doubt if any of us are in competition with each other so there's nothing to lose by sharing your good ideas.

I feel like a cheerleader. :lol:
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If you were my direct competition I would be silent... :shock:
soundtech

Post by soundtech »

you probley would be silent with ah
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

:?:
soundtech

Post by soundtech »

because you found some one that is better :D :D :D :D
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Hardly... :roll:

Silent so they won't learn my secrets. 8)

Seriously, I know the enemy and they don't scare me at all.

I see their equipment, I hear about them from singers. Singers are a good source of info about the competition. They very rarely have anything good to say. I hear about crowd size, lack of singers, bad sound. I know the type of crowd they get, because 99% play anything goes. There is a reason why many play in bars I won't....it's all they can get. That is because of where they are in the food chain. You can't eat lobster on welfare income. :wink: