To drink or not to drink... That's the question

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
spotlightjr

To drink or not to drink... That's the question

Post by spotlightjr »

Was at a new karaoke show tonight (unfortunately not mine) and noticed the 2 girls running it were drinking alcohol. Was wondering how you all felt about drinking alcohol while you perform your show. I rarely drink at my show unless prodded by a customer who insists on buying me a beer, etc.

These two particular girls had their bucket of beers right up by the stage and were chuggin' away. Let me say right away they didnt appear to be wasted or anything I just thought it was kind of unprofessional to have your sweaty bucket of beer right by kj booth area.

Whatchya think?

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I look at it this way.

How much respect do you have for your business and your reputation.

I don't drink. I wasn't allowed to drink at my real job so why should this real job be any different. I'm there to work and do the best show I can. I would have been fired at my real job.

KJs that drink to the point of being drunk or out of control are worthless.

It's not as many KJs think...party time. I'll be a KJ and I can get paid to party. If that's what you think ..that is exactly the kind of show you will have. A party show with a goof host that is putting more interest in themself than their business and singers.

If I was a bar owner I wouldn't hire a KJ that drinks. Especially to the point of being drunk. I want a KJ that will be doing his best to make the night fun and keep the house full. Not one that is drinking away the profits.

It also makes you a liability for the bar now. If you do something stupid to yourself or a parton, it's all over. If the police are called for something that starts in the bar and you are drunk....you just lost all your credibility. I would believe someone that wasn't drinking first.

If I'm looking for someone to date it's not the girl that gets totally trashed every night. I certainly don't want a KJ that does it week after week. There are happy drunks and ones that get mean. I know people that can drink beer and be happy drunks. Give them a shot and they get mean. The "FIRE WATER" kicks in.

I know KJs that get half wasted and their show...shows it. The quality suffers. And so does their reputation. Party every night.

It's funny how everyone in town knows who all the winos are. WHY???

Party on your days off. KJ responsibly...

I do a job that has a DJ on a different night. Someone else told me he's an alkie....I have witnessed him pretty trashed. So nice reputation ain't it?

I just think a bar owner would have more respect for me being consistantly sober at work.

I've even heard of KJs that need to be drunk before they sing. Years ago I knew of a female KJ that use to drunk at least a half fifth of whiskey a night during her show. Now that's HARD CORE. And she would get mean and nasty. Nice mess she was. Her reputation was far and wide. Everyone knew of her. What bar owner in his right mind would ever hire her. She was fat and ugly...too :sorry: So she didn't get hired because she attracted guys. She had a crap system and everyone knew all her discs skipped. It was a running joke....I haven't heard about her in a good while so I don't know if she is still in business.

Would you hire a drunk plumber or doctor? I'm just as professional. And proud of it. :D
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My first karaoke experience was with a KJ that drank. And he usually had his dad and a friend or two with him. 17-18 years ago their bar tab at the end of the night was 60-70 dollars. :shock: He was only making $125-150. Drank away almost half the profits. :shock: EVERY NIGHT. :shock: He had 5-6 nights a week. :shock: How soon before you're an alkie from that much booze?

He now owns the bar he use to play in... :lol: Must have known something. :lol:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Have to be honest here!

When I first started to KJ, about 12 - 15 years ago, It wasn't as a job.

My local was in an old Jute Mill that was a Snooker hall but with a couple of Bars in the building and they had a female KJ there Friday and Saturday night.

She was on from 8 'till Midnight, when the Bar closed.

Officially, that is, as there was usually a "lock in" and we could be there 'till easily 3 in the morning.

The beauty was that the place was completely sound proof. Even with a band playing flat out, you couldn't hear a thing, outside. :mrgreen:

Onyhoo, the female KJ would finish bang on time and as I knew how to work the Bar system, I often took over at Midnight and as you might imagine, I was slightly "tipsy" by then. :lol:

At this point, my Bar tab was ripped up and I drank "free" for as long as I was KJ'ing.

O.K., probably not very professional but Hey! I wasn't a professioanl, at the time and free drink to a Scotsman? They would have been lined up at the Bar!!! :mrgreen:

Having said all that, I must have been pretty good, as I always had a good crowd, that didn't simply leave after the original KJ but I have to say that I was often "Rat Arsed" by the time I left.

Those were the days! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sandy
P.S. I wouldn't dream of it now.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I find it unprofessional for a KJ to be drinkng while working but then again I find it unprofessional for anyone to be drinking while working. I NEVER drank while I was working as I believed that the lack of control over ones own show made one a crappy KJ. What good are you if you can't control your own rotation. MAtter of fact what good are you if you have lost the inhibitions that allow you to be customer friendly.

Looks like BigDog agrees with me as well. :D
But try and tell the KJ they are being unprofessional and you're
beating your head against the wall :mad:
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

I'm in a rock band, as well as doing KJ during the week. I don't indulge when I'm performing, and I don't indulge when I KJ. Both require me to be at my best to make sure the audience is entertained.

Once the show is over, and the load out is done, I'm a right sociable feller . . . Especially if happy fans are buying.
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Here's my two cents worth.

The original question was "was wondering how you all felt about drinking alcohol while you perform your show" and quickly turned into "was wondering how you all felt about getting drunk while you perform your show". There's a big difference between drinking alcohol and getting drunk.

Many professional people drink alcohol while performing their jobs. There are very few lawyers who don't hash out settlements and plea bargains over a few cocktails at their favorite watering hole. How many professional bands have you seen playing in bars where none of the members were drinking?

I'll admit that I wouldn't want my doctor having a few drinks before my operation but we're not performing surgery here. It's entertainment with no life or death consequences. And in the words of the Joker "why so serious".

So my stance on the subject. It's perfectly alright to drink while performing karaoke and absolutely not alright to get drunk while performing karaoke. Any person with a normal tolerance for alcohol can drink one beer per hour of their show without degrading their performance in the least.
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

Fair enough wiseguy. I agree that a cocktail during your show isn't going to kill anyone. However, having two buckets of beer on or near the karaoke stage isn't very professional in my opinion.
I'm not a big drinker to begin with so getting even tipsy wouldn't occur during my show. I also believe that people's tolerance for alcohol vary drastically and affect their behaviors differently. I have two close friends who are roughly the same age, sex. etc but react completely the opposite given the same amounts of alcohol.
I guess I prefer to not consume alcohol during my show. There are enough other people around drinking and I prefer to stay alert and ready for the next drama.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

The thing is ... unless you're drinking soda out of a can, or water out of a water bottle, people presume you are drinking an alchoholic beverage if you are in a bar.

Recently hubby did not accompany me to the bar so I driving. I had a couple of beers then switched to Shirley Temples :redface: ... the first ones I had ever had as an adult.

I'll occasionally have a beer during my show at the deli. In a glass, not out of a bottle (if that makes any difference). They do sell "buckets o' beer" as well, but that is really tacky in my opinion. I'm old enough to believe that women should behave as ladies ... having a bucket of beer at your table certainly isn't "lady-like" behavior!

My bottom line is that it is perfectly okay to drink while you are hosting your show; but it is not okay to get the least bit drunk while you are working. Know your limits and stay within them. :cheers:
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

There are very few lawyers who don't hash out settlements and plea bargains over a few cocktails at their favorite watering hole.

Having an off-duty chat isn't the same as being in the court room. Do you want your lawyer stinking of booze while your on the stand?

How many professional bands have you seen playing in bars where none of the members were drinking?

Sooner or later the drinks will accumulate and start to take a toll. I played in bands and I didn't want the mates to be trashed while playing..period. After the show, not before or during.

Most patrons can see you drinking..but they may not notice how many you sloshed down. Leading to a correct or incorrect perception of exactly how much you drink.

Perception is everything. Until you can prove other wise. A bad reputation travels fast. Why chance it?

When I first started my real job...many of the bosses and higher ups had drinking reputations. And you could tell who they were.

Most had gin blossoms and whiskey noses.

If you owned a bar would you want the hired help drinking and serving customers and money handling? How are they any different the the entertainment? A trashed or presumed trashed band, DJ, KJ, or comic reflects back on the bar owner.

Can the tour bus driver have a drink while he's hauling you around? How about the pilot? They won't get drunk, but they will just have one per hour.
The brain surgeon can do one an hour. Should be OK. He's not going to get drunk.... :roll: Same thing they are just doing "their" job. Any wuss can do one an hour....all night long.

Who really watches the clock and times their drinks?
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

wiseguy wrote:How many professional bands have you seen playing in bars where none of the members were drinking?
Members of professional bands are usually well aware that even small amounts of alcohol can have a negative effect on your playing. Not to mention that stage lights are hot, and alcohol enhances the risk of dehydration on stage. If you look carefully, very few of the bands that intend to make money with their music are drinking anything stronger than soda.

I was in a contest with my band yesterday trying for a slot in the International Blues Challenge in January of next year. The venue is known for it's large selection of ales and beer, but the musicians in the house were easy to spot. They were the ones drinking LARGE glasses of soda, tea and water.

The majority of the time if a band is imbibing on stage, they're weekend warriors - hobbyists - that look at a performance as a night out rather than a night on the job.
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Having an off-duty chat isn't the same as being in the court room. Do you want your lawyer stinking of booze while your on the stand?

They are not off duty when sitting in the bar with their laptops out making decisions and deals on legal cases. Try visiting your a local "lawyer's bar" on any afternoon and you'll see lawyers and prosecutors "working" on their cases. And they just chew a couple breath mints before going into the court room.
Sooner or later the drinks will accumulate and start to take a toll. I played in bands and I didn't want the mates to be trashed while playing..period.
Drinks don't accumulate unless you drink them too close together. The average 120 pound woman can drink one beer per hour all evening and still pass a breathalyser test.
Perception is everything. Until you can prove other wise. A bad reputation travels fast. Why chance it?
The way I want to be perceived is as one of the crowd. Someone they can relate to and not some stiff tea totaler. You don't get a bad reputation because you're seen drinking a beer... that's just ridiculous. You get a bad reputation if you become noticeably drunk. Big difference.
If you owned a bar would you want the hired help drinking and serving customers and money handling? How are they any different the the entertainment? A trashed or presumed trashed band, DJ, KJ, or comic reflects back on the bar owner.
It's been my experience that the entertainment does not handle money or make change. A "trashed" DJ or KJ has had way more than one drink per hour. Do you consider every person that you see holding a beer to be trashed? :roll:
Can the tour bus driver have a drink while he's hauling you around? How about the pilot? They won't get drunk, but they will just have one per hour.
The brain surgeon can do one an hour. Should be OK. He's not going to get drunk.... Same thing they are just doing "their" job. Any wuss can do one an hour....all night long.
These are jobs with life or death consequences. You're a freaking KJ not a brain surgeon.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The question remains...do you want your lawyer reeking of booze while you're on the stand and it's a matter of your life & death?

I operate my professional karaoke business like a brain operation. :cigar: Maybe that's the big difference between KJs. 8)

It's the life and death of your karaoke business that's in the balance. :idea:

Not drinking while I'm KJing shows the crowd I'm serious about what I'm doing. It affects how they sound.

I had the best compliment last night. It was from a non singer. She told me I was the best KJ she ever saw and wanted my business card.

Singers notice all the time. I really like it when non singers notice the quality of my sound. :D

I don't want somebody that's drunk handling my microphones either.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog, why are all things taken to extremes with you? If a lawyer has a couple drinks he's "reeking of booze". If a KJ has a few beers he's "trashed". Is exaggeration something that you just can't help?

I have no doubt that you run your karaoke like a "brain operation". The poor crowd will need that lobotomy to avoid death by boredom.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

:sorry: :surrender:

KJs & lawyers never drink....It's a lie...I made it all up... :shock:

:cheers: :smoker: :sing: :talk: 8) :cheers: :cigar: :sing: :talk: 8) (this is the real me)

:sleep: :yawn: :sleep: :yawn: :sleep: :yawn: :sleep: (this is my real crowd)

:rocker:

Good KJs are a figment of your imagination...