Tale of Two Gig Interviews.

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I have no doubt that Bigdog's prediction will come true. It's a shame that so many people can't grasp the concept "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Do they suddenly lose the memory of when it took the current KJ weeks or months to build a crowd?

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My crowd interaction happens all night long.

Being in the crowd delivering microphones gets me up close and personal. I shake hands with the men and give and get hugs from most of the women. :cigar:

I actually learn all kind of personal info from them. I estimate I am out in the crowd about an hour a night intermingling, building friends and relationships.

The singers can see and feel my committment.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I guess I live in a dream world. After being there twice a week for five years they had to have built a friendship with the owner, and with the customers. Presuming there were no complaints, why would you throw away a friendship for $45 a night?
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:I have no doubt that Bigdog's prediction will come true. It's a shame that so many people can't grasp the concept "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Do they suddenly lose the memory of when it took the current KJ weeks or months to build a crowd?
Did they forget the KJ probably took a cut in pay til "their" crowd built. Did they forget how they kissed people's a$$ to make "their" customers feel welcome. Did they forget "their" jerks and drunks they may have endured? Did they forget the KJs probably bought special order songs for people in "their" crowd to keep them happy and coming back?

So what does that say about the mindset they (bar owners) have toward us as a group? Do they resent having to pay us at all? Do they think we are a dime a dozen?

Is $45 going to end their business? If so, they are in more trouble than they realise. So It could be a good thing so the KJs find a new job before they go bankrupt.

Most bars, sports bars included are not making money just by being open. They "need" entertainment to survive. Not maybe....Karaoke, DJs and bands if they can afford them are keeping them open. Not their charming atmosphere.

If I owned my own bar I would do karaoke seven nights a week. Maybe a few theme nights like country, oldies, rock and open.

They will no doubt save $45 a week. It will only cost them $450 a week to do it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

Another genius decision made by an incompetent bar owner. I know not all bar owners are dumb, but come on. They have no loyalty. Sounds like this couple had a very successful show (5 years)and when the times start getting tough the owners bailed on ther kj's. If the owner is willing to get rid of PROVEN entertainment for forty bucks then who knows how the hell he runs the rest of the place.
I'm also forecasting foreclosure for this dorkwad.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Sabrina59 wrote:I guess I live in a dream world. After being there twice a week for five years they had to have built a friendship with the owner, and with the customers. Presuming there were no complaints, why would you throw away a friendship for $45 a night?
AH! So sorry Sabrina but friendship and profit are not compatible bedfellows. At the end of the day, the pub owner is in business for one reason and one reason only.

To make money!

As I said, the pub was always busy on the nights Karen and Hubby were on but only next week and the week after will tell the tale.

I'll be interested to see if they get another gig quickly and if/or they do the gig next Friday.

Being a cynical type, I have to ask WHY the new KJ wasn't available for next week and wonder about his reliability?

Will he show up, week after week?

As I said, I don't know the guy, whether he uses discs or computer, or really much else about him but information received seems to be that he caters for the more mature audience, so might lose the younger set immediately.

His party piece, apparently, is Nessun Dorma, so one has to assume he can sing a bit.

I can also sing Nessun but only on a good night, when the vocal chords are in good nick. Pretty rare, I have to admit.

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:His party piece, apparently, is Nessun Dorma, so one has to assume he can sing a bit.
Does he do this a cappella? There's really not a lot of call for opera arias in karaoke... thankfully. :)
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:
mnementh wrote:His party piece, apparently, is Nessun Dorma, so one has to assume he can sing a bit.
Does he do this a cappella? There's really not a lot of call for opera arias in karaoke... thankfully. :)
When the Rugby World Cup was on a few years back, Nessun Dorma was the theme music by big Lucie, so became incredibly popular. I think it even went high up the pop charts here.

Oh! I should mention that Rugby is something like what you guys call Football, only without the wimpy armour your guys wear :P

Over here, men are men and the sheep are nervous (British humour :oops: )

I've actually got a few Opera tunes but decent singers are few and far between that can cope.

I remember about 15 years ago this little slip of a girl stepped up to the microphone in my local and out of this wee bit 'o nothing came the most beautiful Mezzo Soprano voice I've ever heard.

No lessons, simply a natural!!!

Never heard anything like it since. :(

Ah well! I can only live in hope.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

:offtopic: :lol:

One these bar visits I took along a song book and my laptop.

I have an exclusive laptop that contains my art work. My bar posters, bar ads for the song books, monthly calenders, table tents...etc.

I can show the bar owners exactly what their ad will look like in a few minutes. With the type face that matches their logo. I do this for sight recognition. People may forget the name of something but they will remember a logo. I use their logo type face on my calenders, song book ads and bar posters too.

They are pretty impressed by it.

On the first bar I never got that far because I went in to check it out first. With their lack of interest there was no need.

The second bar saw the books and my ads and calender, but I was talking to someone (manager) that wasn't in a capacity to hire. :roll: It's handled by corporate.

The laptop is just another tool to put me ahead of my competition. :wink:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

To continue :offtopic: :lol:

What is a "table tent"?

What are "bar ads for the song books"?

I use the deli logo on our song request slips. I have also designed a show opener that has the same logo on it.

The bar I go to has no logo, so I made one and that is used on his request slips, posters and binder covers (which I provide just because I'm a nice person :P and it gets me free drinks :rocker: ).
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You're on topic...again..I think....I can't remember the topic anymore. :shock: :lol:

Table tent is the little things on bar/restaurant tables that have the specials listed. I made some with the karaoke night listed. They are about 3"X4" folded like a Tee-Pee. Made on stock paper and stapled together at the bottom. I haven't used them lately. They are the things people play with and fold up while they wait for drinks and dinner to come. :lol:

I make a full size color ad for each bar that I put in the middle of each song book. I provide more free promotion stuff than my competition.

They have the bar name/logo, my name/logo, a map to the bar, their address and phone number, the night of karaoke and anything else they would like to list as far as drink specials or menu items or other entertainment nights. It makes it look like promoting the entire business, not just my night. Which I am. If you think about it. You should want the bars other nights to be successful too. (unless it's another KJ. :twisted: ) If they close you're out of a job anyway.

The top half of these match the top half of the full size color laminated bar posters.

The map helps them know what landmarks to look for.

Many times the type face turns into their logo. Like you can recognise GOODYEAR or COKE by the unique lettering style. They have these registered as a copyrighted entity. Nobody else can use that type face in that manner.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Why is it always FEAST or FAMINE when it comes to new getting karaoke jobs?

I just got Saturdays at my Friday job after 2 months of them screwing around. Tonight the girl bartender from the first no go job solicitation in this thread, comes in and says her boss is interested in hiring me. They have closed down for a week to remodel. I told her she is too late I just booked saturday. She asked about the week nights. Too late.... :roll: I told her what "JOE" said about not wanting to pay. She looked kinda funny at me.

So I could be back to 6 nights a week, but I don't want to do that anymore.

Sabrina, I have 2 on the line for you already. I could have you up to 5 or 6 nights in no time. With a little pebble snatching. :wink: One newly remodeled and one new. Smoking jobs don't bother you so filling other nights would be real EZ.

Voted one of the most liveable cities and a low cost of living. :D
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Bigdog wrote:Sabrina, I have 2 on the line for you already. I could have you up to 5 or 6 nights in no time. With a little pebble snatching. :wink: One newly remodeled and one new. Smoking jobs don't bother you so filling other nights would be real EZ.

Voted one of the most liveable cities and a low cost of living. :D
Would you like to share with me where this "most liveable" city is located?
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Should I save the gigs for you??? :D

We have a new cup.... :roll: :cigar:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

You have a new cup?!?!?!

Drinking, coffee, athletic? :?:
Sabrina the Cat