Low end mircophone rumble....

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Bigdog

Low end mircophone rumble....

Post by Bigdog »

Since I switched mixers my microphones have become more sensitive to feedback rumble. They don't give off the normal shrill high pitched squeal. There is a loud low pitched vibration rumble noise if they get pointed toward the speakers.

Any ideas what causes that?

Moonrider

Re: Low end mircophone rumble....

Post by Moonrider »

Bigdog wrote:Since I switched mixers my microphones have become more sensitive to feedback rumble. They don't give off the normal shrill high pitched squeal. There is a loud low pitched vibration rumble noise if they get pointed toward the speakers.

Any ideas what causes that?
The preamps in your new mixer are likely more sensitive, with a better frequency response. You could be picking up rumble from the air conditioning. Use your graphic EQ, and experiment with cutting individual bands, one at a time, between 20 and 200 HZ. One of them will likely be the fundamental frequency of the rumble, and you can use that band to filter it out.
Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It only happens when the microphones are too close to or at the wrong angel to the speakers. Just like when you you get high squeal feedback.
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

Bigdog wrote:It only happens when the microphones are too close to or at the wrong angel to the speakers. Just like when you you get high squeal feedback.
Yup, it's basically the same thing happening, but at different frequencies. Graphic EQ is the best tool for eliminating or reducing all those funny noises.

I had a rival KJ scoping me out last night. One of the singers casually propped himself on a speaker (a fairly large twin 15" cab) during a music interlude in a song. The KJ's jaw dropped in disbelief when nothing nasty happened. He asked if I was using a feedback buster, and I told him I just used the EQ to control feedback.

It's not hard to learn - just takes a bit of practice.

Edit: Here's an excellent article on the basics.
http://www.stage-directions.com/backiss ... 2/eq.shtml
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

OK but...my sound..... music and vocals goes through the same 31 band EQ out of the mixer.

If I start dropping the freqencies to fix the mic rumble, I'll be affecting the sound of the music too.
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

Bigdog wrote:OK but...my sound..... music and vocals goes through the same 31 band EQ out of the mixer.

If I start dropping the freqencies to fix the mic rumble, I'll be affecting the sound of the music too.
Remember, feedback happens because there's too much volume at a particular frequency.

You're not going to need large adjustments here. it's kinda like Brylcreem - a little dab will do ya. Usually a -3db cut will be enough to make a big difference. The audience likely won't notice a thing except that it sounds "cleaner."
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Do you suggest starting with the low end frequencies? How would you do it? One at a time or several at once?
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

Bigdog wrote:Do you suggest starting with the low end frequencies? How would you do it? One at a time or several at once?
I always do one at a time - if you take a minute before a show you can do a cut on on freq, see if it helps, bring it back up if it doesn't and move to the next higher freq.

Since you describe it as a rumble, I'd be guessing it's somewhere below 250 Hz.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

250 Hz is always a good place to start with taking a little out. This is where proximity effect comes into play (which can muddy the tone) and also would lead to behavior like you described. If that doesn't do it, then go down to the next octave (125Hz) and cut a little there too.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

Bigdog wrote:OK but...my sound..... music and vocals goes through the same 31 band EQ out of the mixer.

Assuming that you are using separate channels for music and each mic, I suggest cutting the low end on your mic channels only.

One other thing worth mentioning as a side note. Not knowing what brand of mixer you have I can only make this suggestion based on what I have experience on. On each mono mic/line channel, just below each the inputs, I have a "Low Cut" button which does just that. It’s a hi-slope low-cut filter for eliminating unwanted low frequency signal components to reduce or prevent rumble.

If it applies to your mixer it will help as well. If not, disregard.
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
http://www.diehardkaraoke.com
[email protected]
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

jr2423 wrote:

Assuming that you are using separate channels for music and each mic, I suggest cutting the low end on your mic channels only.

One other thing worth mentioning as a side note. Not knowing what brand of mixer you have I can only make this suggestion based on what I have experience on. On each mono mic/line channel, just below each the inputs, I have a "Low Cut" button which does just that. It’s a hi-slope low-cut filter for eliminating unwanted low frequency signal components to reduce or prevent rumble.

If it applies to your mixer it will help as well. If not, disregard.

Engage Low-Cut if you have it and use the Channel EQ to cut around 250Hz assuming you have a sweepable mid. You don't need much cut, just a very slight turn.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
soundtech

Post by soundtech »

don't tell me we found something to stump the one and only bigdog the best guy ever :D
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Contrary to popular belief, being the World's Greatest KJ doesn't require a PHD in Electronics from MIT. :roll: :lol: