Technical Difficulties.

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Bigdog

Technical Difficulties.

Post by Bigdog »

Some singers came in tonight from the old smoking job. She quit smoking and they decided they like my new job.

She said they won't go back to sing at the old place because the new KJs system sounds horrible. And these people are KJs that work there on other nights filling in if a band cancels.

She claims that there is a delay when you sing. Like standing in the middle of the stadium and singing the National Anthem. She said if you know the song it's not real bad. But if you don't know it your timing gets screwed up.

I don't think they are talking about the delay effect being used. They think there is something wrong between the microphone and the amplifier.

What could be causing the vocals to be tied up from the time you sing the note until you actually hear it?

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I've had that happen a couple of times on phone calls. It is really distracting when trying to carry on a conversation, I can't imagine trying to sing like that!
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Sounds like it could be a natural delay from the sound going back around through the microphone again.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Sounds to me like maybe the KJ is running the microphones through the Computer. Converting an analog audio source to digital and then back to analog will always result in a certain amount of latency, no matter how fast the processor. I'd be willing to bet that is what is going on with his system. A cheap KJ trying to do it all on the cheap.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
judaz777

Re: Technical Difficulties.

Post by judaz777 »

Bigdog wrote:Some singers came in tonight from the old smoking job. She quit smoking and they decided they like my new job.

She said they won't go back to sing at the old place because the new KJs system sounds horrible. And these people are KJs that work there on other nights filling in if a band cancels.

She claims that there is a delay when you sing. Like standing in the middle of the stadium and singing the National Anthem. She said if you know the song it's not real bad. But if you don't know it your timing gets screwed up.

I don't think they are talking about the delay effect being used. They think there is something wrong between the microphone and the amplifier.

What could be causing the vocals to be tied up from the time you sing the note until you actually hear it?
judaz777

Post by judaz777 »

That’s the way it is with a lot of music that comes from loudspeakers—either live or recorded—the timing is off. Acoustical engineers call the problem “ENVELOPE DISTORTION.” It happens because loudspeakers tend to produce high frequencies that are delayed, which means low frequencies are reaching the listener first. To the listener, it sounds muddy. Actually, most of us might not notice until something comes along to make it all sound better. It’s like being unaware you’re looking through a dirty window until someone comes along and gives it a good cleaning. The engineers at BBE Sound decided the problem with inaccurate, indistinct sound had been allowed to happen for too long.YOU MAY NEED TO INVEST IN A SONIC MAXIMIZER THAT WOULD CLEAR THE PROBLEM UP AND TWEAK YOUR SOUND :wink:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The delay addressed by the BBE isn't that noticable to the ordinary person. The delay they witnessed was very long.