settings on my power Amplifier

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.

Which Mode would you use?

Stereo 230 watts
50%
Mono 800 watts
50%

Total votes: 2

DanG2006

settings on my power Amplifier

Post by DanG2006 »

I have a powerAmp that in stereo mode only puts out 230 watts but in bridged/mono puts out 800 watts. My speakers which are 8 ohm have an rms of 250 and peak of 500. Which mode would I be better in?

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I just called the music store today and asked a very similar question.

My question was about the knobs on the front of my stereo amp.

I wanted to know if you have an amp that supplies more power than the speakers can handle would backing off the knobs lower the wattage to them.

I wanted to know if they actually controlled the power the amp puts out if they are full up or turned back. They are like a volume control. My guy said they should be run full out. And you make your adjustments from the mixer. But too much volume could blow them out if done for an extended time or an extreme noise.

Your Question:

In the stereo mode you are just at the power limit for the speakers. But the amplifier doesn't have any head room. The peak 500 figure. This happens when the music or the singer gets very loud. They are made to peak and they need the head room to keep from going into distortion. I would say in the stereo mode you are right at the distortion window all the time. Too close for comfort.

So will the mono mode send 400 watts to each speaker?

Is that one speaker (Top) on each side? No bottoms.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I'm not getting any distortion, just wondering if I can crank a little more power out of my system without going and purchasing another amplifier to replace the one I have. If I run it bridged I believe I would be hooking into the positive terminals (which the manual says to do) with one cable and then hooking the other cable into the back of the first cable.
After reading on another forum, I just wonder if setting the amp's power settings to midway will keep from blowing the speakers.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Okay after talking it out with a friend of mine, Bridging it isn't an option. The sound is good for the rooms it has done but for larger venues I need to get a more powerful amp to match my speakers. Money is an issue since I haven't gotten a part tme job yet so getting anything new is right now out of the question.
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

Crown Audio seems to have some good info with respect to Amp vs. Speaker.

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/amp_i ... _power.htm#

And this site here seems to have quite a tutorial on sound re-enforcement

http://colomar.com/Shavano/pa_page.html
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
http://www.diehardkaraoke.com
[email protected]
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Looking at the article and the part about the distance from the speakers to the crowd...I have only worked one job that had 20 feet of distance from the speakers to the crowd.

Most places the crowd is 6-8 feet away. :shock: Most of the time that I have someone tell me how good the system sounds...the room is half empty without people sitting right in front of the speakers.

Most bars don't have the room and were never intended to have entertainment.