karaoke song file name issue

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
unmaskedluke

karaoke song file name issue

Post by unmaskedluke »

i hav more than twenty thousand karaoke song in my hard disk(not external,i bought a case for it so i can connect it to my pc via usb).

the problem is, all the file name is in numbered form (eg. 23456.dat, 24356.mpg),not by the title of the song.

on top of that, i need a karaoke software,where i can play the song i want just by one search. but it seems like i cant achieve that if the file name issue is not solved 1st. am i right? or am i going to do it the hard way?open each song,see d title and change the file name one by one? >.< help pliz?

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I don't know anyone that doesn't name a track when they rip it to the hard drive.

EX....Disc #-Track #-Artist-song This is done within the ripping program.

Is this hard drive out of a CAV machine? They use only numbers.

Can you play the songs? How do you know which song goes to which number?

Where did you get the hard drive?
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi there.
As Bigdog says, karaoke file names are "usually" standardised in a specific format, e.g.

SF001-01 - Stewart Rod - Sailing.xxx

where .xxx is the file extension, .ZIP, .CDG, .MP3, etc.

Please be more specific as to the file name structure.

If it's a .ZIP file, the internal name(s) might well be correct, or if an .MP3 file, there might be some way of reading the MP3 header information and renaming your files accordingly.

Sandy
unmaskedluke

Post by unmaskedluke »

here's d screenshot.

yes i can play d song. i hav to open it one by one to know d song.
i get it from my uncle. he ask me to organize all the song,which as i said earlier, he want to play the song he want just by one search. gues i hav to name it one by one then.. ><
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

O.K., so it's a .DAT file.

What program do you use to play them?

Does it show the correct song title and singer when it does play them?

Sandy
unmaskedluke

Post by unmaskedluke »

i use windows media player. & yep. it show the correct song title and singer.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

These are most likely CDG song tracks converted to video format for playing from VCD discs or ripped to the hard drive in these formats so they could be played in typical software video players (like Windows Media Player). The songs were randomly numbered and there is no database that will contain the information needed to automatically rename them. You have no choice but to rename them manually.

See you in a few months. :)
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Yep! Agree with Wiseguy, Re. the media format.

So, given your info. above, the file does have the title details in the file header so what you need, is a program that will read this info and change the filename accordingly.

I'd suggest a Google search for a start.

sandy
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I've had a search for info on .dat files and found they can usually be opened with pretty much anything.

Try opening one of the files with notepad and see if the header shows Title and Singer.

If all the files have the information in the same place, I'm sure someone could write a simple program to rename the files based on that information.

Sandy