Carpeted walls suck!

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
wiseguy
Site Admin

Carpeted walls suck!

Post by wiseguy »

I did a wedding reception for a relative (the only ones I'll do) Saturday afternoon. It was held in a large room with 12 foot high acoustic tile ceilings and the walls were covered with thick carpet from top to bottom with no windows. I spent an hour before anyone arrived trying to get a decent sound which I never did (in my opinion anyway).

As the room filled up I kept walking around, listening, and making adjustments. People I talked to said it sounded just fine to them but it certainly wasn't up to my standards. About halfway through the thing I come across a guy standing near the back of the room and he smiles at me while shaking his head. He said "forget about it, I'm the sound man for a couple of bands that play here occasionally and I have never gotten the sound right".

He aggreed... carpeted walls suck!

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Ideally I like a room that has a little bit of each surface.

I have played in rooms that have no carpet and all ceramic, wood, metal, & glass. These rooms never sound right either.

Which just proves that there are very few venues that are music friendly.

Most are 75-100 years old and were not designed for anything but drinking.

If you want to sound proof a room cheaply you cover it with carpet.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If you want to sound proof a room cheaply you cover it with carpet.
This is also the perfect prescription for sucking all of the highs out your sound. :lol:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The rooms I describe give you nothing but highs, not enough bass can be added. :roll: Sounds like a tin-fest. I'm playing one now 2 nights a week. It took me several weeks to get use to hearing my system in that room.
letitrip

Re: Carpeted walls suck!

Post by letitrip »

wiseguy wrote:I did a wedding reception for a relative (the only ones I'll do) Saturday afternoon. It was held in a large room with 12 foot high acoustic tile ceilings and the walls were covered with thick carpet from top to bottom with no windows. I spent an hour before anyone arrived trying to get a decent sound which I never did (in my opinion anyway).

As the room filled up I kept walking around, listening, and making adjustments. People I talked to said it sounded just fine to them but it certainly wasn't up to my standards. About halfway through the thing I come across a guy standing near the back of the room and he smiles at me while shaking his head. He said "forget about it, I'm the sound man for a couple of bands that play here occasionally and I have never gotten the sound right".

He aggreed... carpeted walls suck!
A common misconception among folks is that a well prepared acoustic room should be "dead". People don't seem to understand that reflections are good, it's standing waves and resonance that are the issue. I can't imagine playing in a room setup the way you've described, I would lose my mind.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
srnitynow

Post by srnitynow »

Believe it or not, ELVIS has a room set up like this in GRACELAND.

Rosario