BMI License

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Don't forget there is still ASCAP and SECAP that get a cut too.

They (BMI) will at some point start court action. They never lose. It's a tax write off. Just another cost of doing business.

Seriously, if you have to just to keep the job and get the second night...offer to split the fee with her. That breaks down to you doing one free night a year. It's not fun, but it's not the end of the world.

Two nights a week is better than none.

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I talked to hubby about splitting the cost with her. I would be willing to split it; he said no go. He says she's getting a cut rate anwyay. We started out really cheap since her business was new, and our system was little more than a home system. Over one year later we're still at the same rate.

I think I would insist she pay for it before we agree to go to two nights a week. Really, $400 bucks a year is very minimal for peace of mind.

I believe she honestly thinks she doesn't need it since the other venues had never heard of it. Who knows.
Sabrina the Cat
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Be prepared to have no job. Seriously if she's crying about $400 she's not in a good position money wise. She thinks she'll be farther ahead by quitting.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Licensing is simply another operating expense of the business just like utilities and wages. Maybe you should help her out with the power bill as well. You helping to pay the entertainment fees is a ridiculous notion. If they can't afford a few hundred dollars a year to be legal then they are hanging on by a thread anyway. If that's the case you shouldn't count on them being around for long.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I don't think business is as bad as she would like me to believe it is; especially on karaoke nights.

I don't think she sees the necessity of having the license. I'm just wondering if, at the other venues, she asked the KJ's or the owners of the business. I feel as though I have done all I can ... it's up to her now.

If nothing else ... we now have a killer home karaoke system! :lol:
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I offered that a suggestion so the bar owner would be more willing to keep the karaoke going. That's a last resort but if the KJ needs the job. It only cost the KJ $2 a week to split the fee. Would you give up $2 a week to keep the job? Some will, some won't. If I really wanted and needed the job I would. It's a show of good faith more than the money. Makes them feel better about you. She's talking about doing 2 nights. That's more potential income to lose over $2 a week. That is not good business sense.

I have done karaoke lately in many bars and their other nights suck. I was the entire saving grace. Without karaoke they could die.
It's that bad and that close for many bar owners. They are on the fence and could flop either way.

Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish. If the economy was better that's a different story. We are not out of the woods yet. Don't get too cocky.

$148 a night is better than none. One word of caution. MAKE SURE SHE USES THE MONEY TO PAY BMI and not sticking it in her pocket as extra profit.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

:lol: If any joint needs 2 bucks a week from me to keep the karaoke going they need to go under. :lol:

The owner is a cheapskate. She is already taking advantage of Sabrina's generosity of giving her extra show time for free. And now you think they should offer to help pay license fees?

I repeat... a ridiculous notion.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

They look at it like $400 a year, not $4 a week. Someone else in their pocket talking money. They never heard of BMI before. So that's a normal reaction. Wait until they hear about ASCAP and SECAP. :lol:

There will be no shame over them taking a $2 week cut to preserve their job.
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

but how does it work for a private party shouldn't we be paying to play that music for entertainment and income on our part.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

This statement is from an ASCAP representative.

"It is the venue, establishment, or promoter of an event that is responsible for public performance licensing, not the performer. Private events such as weddings, etc. are exempt from licensing."
KJ_LOCO

Post by KJ_LOCO »

Have you seen this about Lonnie's Western Room in Nashville? ASCAP is suing them too....

http://www.wsmv.com/video/22177819/index.html
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

KJ_LOCO wrote:Have you seen this about Lonnie's Western Room in Nashville? ASCAP is suing them too....

http://www.wsmv.com/video/22177819/index.html

He won't be open much longer.

ASCAP ALWAYS WINS, PERIOD..... END OF STORY...CASED CLOSED

Did you hear the breakdown?????

$1 a day. Anyone can't afford that???? :roll:

He falls into the STUID BAR OWNER CATAGORY.