What would you do?

How would you handle these situations?
Intentional Heartache

What would you do?

Post by Intentional Heartache »

About a month ago, the kj at the club asked us to borrow some money, after telling us some sob story about not being able to afford a car payment etc. We loaned him the money and he promised to pay us back the next week after he got paid. Surprise surprise, he didn't have the money the next week...We didn't really expect to get it back (who does when they loan money), but since then we've found out he's been asking other patrons at the bar for cash as well. One girl in particular refused to give him any and now rarely has an opportunity to sing, seems like he's taking her refusal personally and not as a good business decision on her part.

My question is, should we mention this to the owner? I believe it's turning away singers...or what steps would you guys take? We were willing to write it off, but now we know what he's doing and feel like we should do something to let the bar owner know...or something.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

This is definitely bad business ethics. I would go directly to the owner of the club and demand that this KJ be fired immediately or you will no longer be a customer. Get a couple others to join you and I'm sure he will be gone. Being a KJ myself, I would also let other club owners know of this behavior. This guy has no business being a KJ.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Intentional Heartache

I tend to agree with you. I just hate getting someone fired. I know I didn't expect to get paid back, but I hate it when I see someone taking advantage of other people. I know financially I could afford it, but some of these folks don't have the money. They go out to have a good time with a set budget...the extras they can't afford.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I just hate getting someone fired.
This type of unethical conduct cannot be allowed to continue, which it will if someone doesn't put an end to it. He must be fired immediately and blackballed by the karaoke community. What would Walmart management do if they witnessed one of their clerks bumming money from the customers? It's basically the same scenario.
Intentional Heartache

True enough, when you put it in the Walmart context. Well, we'll see what happens this week-end when I talk to the owner.
SongDragon

Post by SongDragon »

Hi! I'm SongDragon. I'm a new member to this site, and I'm also a KJ. Not only would I go to the bar-owner to get this KJ fired, but I would also suggest a replacement, i.e. another KJ or karaoke company that I respect to keep the karaoke going at the establishment.
Keep A Song In Your Heart
and Some Heart In Your Song!

SongDragon
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Shot him....hangin's too good for him. :shock:

KJs that undercut, run unfair rotations, play with crap equipment hurt all of us as a group.
shafferpilot

Post by shafferpilot »

Maybe someone should talk to him.... really talk to him to find out what is really going on. In my experience, people who are constantly hard up for money are experiencing serious addiction problems. Be it alcohol, drugs, gambling, hookers..... whatever! You say that this KJ is someone you really like, and clearly other people do to. Without knowing the full story, how could you know what to do.... You couldn't, and that is probably why you are having such a tough time deciding. This is an older post, so the problem is probably gone now.... or maybe the KJ is. Either way, I'd like to throw out there that life is a team sport!! There was a time when I needed help to face some terrible life challenges. I was fortunate enough to have a few TRUE friends and a dedicated family to give me a little help.... It would have been easier for some of them to write me off or tell on me. Now it's my responsibility to try and go a little extra to help others. I'm not suggesting that giving money is a help. IT IS NOT!!! That's called enabling, and it's the worst thing a person could do. I wouldn't even do that to my worst enemy. I am suggesting that we all try to work together to make everyone's lives better.

*and I step off the soapbox*
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:
I just hate getting someone fired.
This type of unethical conduct cannot be allowed to continue, which it will if someone doesn't put an end to it. He must be fired immediately and blackballed by the karaoke community. What would Walmart management do if they witnessed one of their clerks bumming money from the customers? It's basically the same scenario.
I work for Walmart and I know for a fact that he would not be working his next shift as any money changing hands whether from an associate, customer or vendor is a firable offense. Can't even take tips for carrying out to their car a TV or anything like that.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Sounds like a drug habit to me. :wink: So do you want to feed it?
Bigdog

Re: What would you do?

Post by Bigdog »

Well, I've had a few what I thought were good people borrow money from me...never to return again...I started a new policy....I keep two one dollar bills in my pocket in front of a twenty. That's usually I i carry on a job because I'll be getting paid later.... But if anyone wants to borrow money again....all I have is two bucks on me... :D reach in my pocket in front of the twenty and show them.... $2

As for the KJs drug habit..... See ya...tell the bar owner he's shaking down the paying customers chasing them away. Lie and tell him customers said they won't be back.. :wink: