Desktop?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
guitarpat

Desktop?

Post by guitarpat »

Obviously a laptop is the best way to go. Smaller is better when moving equipment. However, I'm just starting out and dont have the money for a laptop. Plus I may find that a Karaoke buisness isnt what I thought it would be. I thought I could start with a desktop. I have several and should be relatively inexpensive for a dual video card.
Besides the obvious bulk and weight is there any unforseen problems I might have? has anyone done this?

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I actually favour a desktop (well Tower, to be accurate), rather than a laptop.

Laptops are fragile things, unless you pay big bucks for a "ruggedized" unit and are prone to be stolen if not bolted down.

As far as I can see, a laptop's ONLY redeeming feature is the built in "user" screen.

Full size PC's also tend to have the better CPUs.

Think of it this way;

Tower PC with no need for CDROM or DVD drives.

Direct TV out card (NOT a dual monitor output card).

Built in 300w class "D" amplifier (dirt cheap from Ebay [about $50])

Built in 300w switch mode power supply (also dirt cheap from Ebay)

Small external mixer with effects.

Small monitor (15" or smaller) for the KJ

Stick a carry handle on top and you have an easily portable system.

Sandy
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

You can get cheap costing laptops at places like www.usedlaptops.com which is where I got my latest purchase. The only thefts of my laptops has occurred at home rather than in the field.
I found that desktops are a pain to set up show after show and you run the risk of damaging the video out (VGA and tv out) by constant plugging in and unplugging the cables.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You need to examine your commitment level to building a successful karaoke business. :shock:

It's hard work. Not a party where you get to have fun drinking and get paid.

You are starting a business that will require sacrifice on your part. You will be making fulltime commitments to bar owners to be there when promised. EVERY TIME.

That commitment means having quality dependable equipment to finish the job. That will be a part of your reputation. Your reputation is all you have to get jobs with.

There have been many local KJs fired and replaced because they didn't know how to use or didn't have to use, dependable equipment.

One desk top sounds good until it crashes....then how will you finish the job and get paid? Think about how that makes you look.

I always used 2 disc players and now I have 2 laptops with me at all times. Switching over to the other laptop will take a few minutes. Switching to a back up computer that I don't even have or it's on my desk at home will take a day. If it has to go to the repair shop it takes weeks. Now who has your job? And your pay? The new KJ, not you. :shock:

Now do you want to be a successful KJ and build a succeessful professional business and reputation? Nothing is cheap.

One desk top computer has NOTHING to back it up. 2 desk top computers do. Are you going to take 2 complete desk tops with you every job? So you can come home with money in your pocket?

2 laptops have a back up everything. Not cheap, but very professional.

If you just want an expensive hobby nothing matters. If you plan on making binding legally inforceable contracts with bar owners, it does. :shock: