AVI to CD+g Converter

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Sabrina59

AVI to CD+g Converter

Post by Sabrina59 »

A couple of my regulars were KJ's and have the complete set of Pioneer Laser discs. They would like to convert them to a cd+g format. Any ideas?

I can find a converter for cdg to avi, but not the other way around.

Thank you, all!

Sabrina the Cat
wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: AVI to CD+g Converter

Post by wiseguy »

Sabrina59 wrote:A couple of my regulars were KJ's and have the complete set of Pioneer Laser discs. They would like to convert them to a cd+g format. Any ideas?

I can find a converter for cdg to avi, but not the other way around.

Thank you, all!
There is no converter because it can't be done.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Hi Sabrina how have you been....

It can be done. :shock:

I have my Pioneer Laser discs on my hard drive. 8) Of all the KJs you know...who else do you think would have them???? It's part of my commitment to quality karaoke. I'm not saying this lightly.

You need special hardware and 3 -4 different programs to do it.

That is part of the reason it cost me over $8000 to switch from discs to computer. :shock:

It takes 350 gig of hard drive to hold 2200 laser tracks.

Long story short.

You need to digitize the laser tracks with hardware. This is done in real time. (Over 200 hours of real time "ripping.")

Then you have one gigantic one hour long file. Each laser disc side is one hour long.

The file needs to be marked, cut and named. I paid several thousand dollars for the hardware, software and a smart computer guru to do it. It took a long time to finish the project.

Any other questions? It wasn't cheap.

They play perfectly. But you need to have a computer big enough to play the files and not glitch while you do other searches and entries in your queue. That's why I needed $1500 laptops.

Sax & Dottys plays them.

There was a lot of trial and error to get everything to work correctly. It turned into a major project.

I'm really happy about how they turned out.

Wiseguy is right about one thing....It's not CD+G format.

MPG4.... I think. The digitized video makes it that way. CD+G means a CD with graphics and the graphics aren't the same with what we did. The "graphics" part is totally different.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

2 other options.

Pioneer did make a set of CD+Gs that include most of their laser songs and some newer songs.

They also made 25 DVDs of the lasers. They stopped that project in mid stream. Screwing everyone that started to buy them because they advertized they would do them all.

Here is part of the story...

When Pioneer first came out with their laser discs they had a package deal that you had to buy...like the cell phone companies used to do to screw you with the phone and minutes.

You had to buy their laser player and the first 10 discs as a set. Player was $900-1000 ...the discs were $150 each.... :shock: I bought them for $110 each. Their laser player would only play laser discs. No CD+Gs. They wanted to screw everyone with CD+Gs.

But their production and releases of new songs started taking too long and they were losing business to the CD+G makers. So their next project was the CD+GS to compete and their new player also played lasers and CD+GS.

Near the end instead of the songs having videos that were stories their later videos became generic scenery stuff. It's the same reason the record companies dumped their DVD album projects. DVDs were supposed to be the next big thing in album sales. They quickly found out that making unique videos for every song on the album even if it never made the charts was way too expensive. Nobody would buy DVD albums if they cost $50-100 each. So just like lasers, DVDs and VCDs are gone like cavemen.

So if you can find them on EBAY, buy 'em...they should be fairly cheap.

To buy the complete Pioneer laser set 10 years ago would have cost almost $9000. :shock: I have 3 of them.... :shock: But the price did come down to $75 each and I bought a used set too.

The last time I looked they were $15-20 each on ebay.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

One more option.... :roll:

Years ago I had the computer guru make the lasers into VCDs. That was when the laser players were starting to become less available. So everything was on a CD that played in the CD+G players. One CD held one laser disc side. (2 CDs for one entire laser disc)
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:Wiseguy is right about one thing....It's not CD+G format
Wiseguy is right about the ENTIRE thing.

The question was if laser discs could be converted to CD+G. The answer is simply no.

You are answering a question that wasn't asked. :roll:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I read it slightly different.

They want to be able to change them to play the same way as CD+Gs which is possible just not in the CD+G format. A VCD would. Doing that isn't going to be any less of a hastle or technological advancement. A disc is a disc whether it's a laser or CD+G or VCD. The VCD video quality isn't as good as putting them on a hard drive.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Sounds like too much of a pain in the a$$ for me to deal with. :lol:

Thank you both very much for your answers.

By the way, even though I'm not posting much, I'm still coming in on a regular basis. Have to make sure the dog behaves himself.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

:shock: :cigar: