Pilot Karaoke???

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
DJ Dave

Pilot Karaoke???

Post by DJ Dave »

Looking into Pilot Karaoke software. Any suggestions out there? Anyone use this currently? The package of interest is the Professional Karaoke package. External hard drive with DVD RW/CD+G Drive. A power CD+G Burner. Pilot songbook creator. Siglos Karaoke Pro player/ hosting software and a PC to TV converter. Also any suggestions on a realiable laptop I should get?

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I personally hate the interface that Siglos uses. It's like they just threw it together anyway it fell together. It is UGLY. The onlyy thing it has going for it is that it is the ONLY mp3+g hosting solution that allows playing an outside disc while placing it in the rotation. I prefer a setup that is seamless like CompuHost or even Karma for that matter. I will say that Power CDG burner is a great program. Used it to rip a couple of Sound Choice Mediacloq discs.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I agree wholeheartedly with DanG, Re. Siglos. It's absolute pants compared to other Karaoke software out there.

In fact I reckon it's so bad that I'd rather use Tricerasoft's "freebie" Karaoke player than Siglos.

I use Karma as my main PC program with other software from Latshaw as File Manager and Songbook generator.

As I have CD+G burner on my show laptop, if anyone brings in a disc, then I can Rip it on the spot but only if It's an obviously original CD.

Usually, :mrgreen: I do remember to delete the files afterward. :redface:

As to a reliable laptop, I reckon the majority are pretty good these days but unless you buy a specially "ruggedised" machine, I would HIGHLY recommend you get an external keyboard and mouse to save wear and tear on those of the laptop.

Also, depending on how "up close and personal" your audience are likely to be, get a cover of some sort over the laptop keyboard.

I know of at least two KJ's who learned to their cost that their laptops couldn't handle alcohol when a pint of beer got poured over the keyboards.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

2 computers....one for back up.

If you make all your connections semi permanent you can do a laptop swap in under 10 minutes.

Both laptops should be indentical and have the best sound and video cards you can afford.

By using laptops you now have a back up for every item required. I.E. Monitor Screen, keyboard, mouse, operating system, hosting program and back up power. I was recently hit by a power failure at a show. The laptop stayed running during the black out. I shut off the amplifier and waited for the power to return. Since the laptop stayed up and running when the power did come on it took very little time to start the show again. However I didn't fire everything up until I waited about 5 minutes to make sure the power wouldn't flicker as it sometimes does when it comes back up.

I'm also using a $450 surge protector from ZERO SURGE with everything but my amplifier running through it.

Also use back up hard drives and keep the computer and hard drives in a suitcase with you and take them to every show. 10 minutes without music will never be noticed and not a concern for taking a pay cut. If you stop the music for the rest of the night and ruin a wedding reception or big corporate party or function, kiss you pay check goodbye. And maybe expect to be sued for the damage you caused for ruining the party. (You broke the contract by failure to provide the agreed to contracted service in full.)