Are You An Enabler???

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Are You An Enabler???

Post by Bigdog »

Since we work in bars and cater to people that drink...do you consider yourself as someone contributing to people abusing alcohol and/or posibly becoming alcoholics?

A recent conversation with a bar owner suggested that we both could be enablers of excessive drinking. Him for serving and me for entertaining them. Giving them an added reason to stay and drink maybe more than they normally would or should.

I recently became a victim of my enabling. :shock: :cry:

A drunk with a .33 blood alcohol level (which is 4 times the legal limit of .08) crashed in to my parked vehicle and did $8888 dollars worth of damage and totaled his vehicle. He is not anyone I know personally so I didn't directly have an impact on him, but someone did. This may not be his first drunk driving episode either.

What are your feelings about this subject???

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

As a customer, I can say that if it wasn't for karaoke I wouldn't be at the bar or drinking.

However, I do not believe in the term "enabler". We are all responsible for our own actions. It makes no difference if others make it "easier" for us or not.

If I have been at a bar all night, drinking, and I decide to drive home, knowing that I am legally drunk, it is my fault. Not the karaoke hosts or the bartender or anyone else.
Sabrina the Cat
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Sabrina59 wrote:If I have been at a bar all night, drinking, and I decide to drive home, knowing that I am legally drunk, it is my fault. Not the karaoke hosts or the bartender or anyone else.
Over this side of the pond, it is, in fact, illegal for a bartender to sell alcohol to anyone considered the worse for wear.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but in no way shape or form could a KJ be considered an "enabler" for drunkeness.

As Sabrina says, we are the Policemen of our own actions.

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:Over this side of the pond, it is, in fact, illegal for a bartender to sell alcohol to anyone considered the worse for wear.
We have the same stupid law here. As if bartenders are armed with breathalyzers. Many people can be over the legal limit without showing any outward signs.

Enabler is a ridiculous notion. So a drunk hits a car. Who enabled him? The bar owner? The KJ? The alcohol manufacturer? The car company that made the car that got him to the bar? The gas company who made the gas that let the car get him to the bar? Or how about his parents since if he was never born he would not be around to get drunk and hit a car.

There is no such thing as an enabler. We are all responsible for our own actions.
berryoke

Post by berryoke »

Venues hire karaoke, bands, dj and other sorts of entertainers to bring people into their venues to spend money. If your in a bar setting then your job is to keep the crowd there entertained buying alcohol. If people at your show aren't buying alcohol then you're gonna lose the venue. Glorified whiskey slingers is what we are when working in a bar.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625 ... o=21591334

We can't be held responsible for the teenage drinking...yet.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Imagine if these people were all out at the same time? :shock:

I would like to see a breakdown of how many are out on Friday night and Saturday night.