newbie - controlling vocals on mixer.

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
ashy

newbie - controlling vocals on mixer.

Post by ashy »

Hi all.
I have a cheap DJ mixer with only 4 controls per channel:
Gain
Low
High
Reverb.
There is also a 7-band equaliser.
I suspect that I bought the wrong type of mixer and should have gone for something with more controls per channel.
The question is : Do I really need "mid-tones" to get a reasonable sound for vocals ?

I am not looking for perfection, just a decent sound that is not too "flat".
Finally I have a good mike and want to do some charity work with this setup.
-- ashy

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Ashy,
welcome to the madhouse! :)

I actually believe in the old maxim that "Less is more".

Too many buttons can get the fingers itching to twiddle evry knob in sight :oops: with the result that you never end up happy with what you have.

For audio, the only real problems occur with;

1)Low volume
2)Very reflective surfaces
3)Very absorbant surfaces.

1) is unlikely to be a problem for a KJ as we tend to play at fairly loud levels. In the unlikely event that you are playing at low levels, then something called "Loudness" comes into play, where the Human ear "hears" better around 300 to 3000 Hetrz (Hz). This, by the way is why babies crying is so very irritating as the little angels are designed to cry at frequencies in exactly that audio band.

There used to be "Loudness" controls on audio amps (for home use) that simply "boosted" the low and high end of the auduio spectrum to level off the ears deficiencies.

Therefore, at Low levels, your Low and High controls are fine.

2) Again, only likely to be a problem if you are in a hall or similar with few people in the place (bodies are audio absorbers).

High frequencies are directional and will bounce all over the place and might make your audio sound a bit "thin", so a little Bass lift might provide the cure. Again, you Low/High controls will be O.K.

3) the exact oppposite of 2) as loads of bodies and absorbant wall hangings will "soak" sound up with higher frequencies being affected more than lower.

Here, you might want to boost the Treble a bit to compensate, so again your dual control is sufficient.

Don't get too hung up on having umpteen controls. It just means you have more to go wrong.

Just set things up so that you are pleased with the sound and then FORGET IT.

You are allowed to have fun, every bit as much as those you are entertaining and chances are, when you ARE having fun, you will do a better job and your customers will love you.

Sandy
ashy

Post by ashy »

Thanks Mnementh.

I feel somewhat reassured after reading your response.

I have tried out the equipment in a small room so maybe that also contributed to the poor vocal sound.

Am very keen to give it a shot in a more suitable venue. And I want to do some charitable work with the equipment . . . maybe "old age" homes.

Further comment and suggestions will be appreciated.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Reverb should be just enough to augment the voice and just low enough to almost be undetectable.