Building A Karaoke System

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
boonie

Building A Karaoke System

Post by boonie »

I’m new to Karaoke. I never owned a system before. However, I have been researching the last 6 months trying to build a decent karaoke system for home usage only. The system will house in a 20’ x 20’ (approximately) space. I think below package will be more than sufficient to support the space capacity. My concern with the hardware below is that I can’t find online reviews anywhere. So, I don’t really know if all the hardware below worth the money. According to the hardware specification, it seems that it is worth the money. Thus, could someone that has or used to have the hardware below answer below questions?

1. Does the hardware justify the money?
2. Is there another system that provides better performance for this money?
3. Do I really need a subwoofer to go with this system given the space capacity? If so, what kind of power (watts)?

$569.99
Pro Audio Package
• 1 Pair (2 pcs.) Brand New PPB12 Speakers
• 1 New VX2000 Amplifier
• 1 Pair (2 pcs.) New PSS1 Adjustable Speaker Stands
• 2 New TSSP25 Speaker Cables
• 1 New F50 Audix Microphone
• 1 New X25 Microphone Cable

http://www.onlyfactorydirect.com/p-405- ... 12set.aspx

$119.99
Pro Audio MX1204 audio mixing
• 1 New Podium Pro Audio MX1204 Mixer

Wireless Microphone System
• Any recommendation to go along with the above hardware?

Karaoke Player
I have DVD and PS3 players. All of my karaoke music discs are DVD and they play on both DVD and PS3.
• Do I need to buy a karaoke player in order to sing karaoke on this system?

Thanks a millions in advance for your time and effort. Also, do you recommend anything else to boost the sound system?

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi there boonie.
Welcome to the madhouse.

I don't really see any problems with what you have selected.

If anything, it's a bit over the top for a home use only system

This system will blow your windows out without any further speaker additions and will provide plenty of bass, as is.

For wireless mikes, check on Ebay for UHF microphones and you should be able to pick up a dual mike system for reasonable bucks.

Have fun,
Sandy
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Podium pro is a good unknown brand. I have a pair of their speakers and they have the bass sound of a 15" in an 8" package.
If all you have is DVD discs then the DVD player should suffice.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I agree with the above comments with the exception of the DVD player being acceptable. A very limited number of karaoke song titles are on DVD discs. The vast majority are on CD+G discs which will not play in a typical DVD player (may possibly play on the PS3). Also, the standard DVD player is missing the digital key control feature that is very important with a karaoke system.

Get yourself a multi-format karaoke disc player. They're not that expensive.
boonie

Post by boonie »

Excellent advices/responses. Thanks to all. I'm moving forward with my first Karaoke System. Is there a suggestion for a multi-format karaoke disc player for the best money/performance?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

A player like the Vocopro DVX-668 would be sufficient for home use.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:I agree with the above comments with the exception of the DVD player being acceptable. A very limited number of karaoke song titles are on DVD discs. The vast majority are on CD+G discs which will not play in a typical DVD player (may possibly play on the PS3). Also, the standard DVD player is missing the digital key control feature that is very important with a karaoke system.

Get yourself a multi-format karaoke disc player. They're not that expensive.
Pioneer was the only company to actually use story lines for their music videos until they got cheap about it near the end and used generic scenery shots. No actors or very few.

I understand they must have spent a small fortune making all of the different story line videos. But that was what made thm popular.

What do they have as far as video on the latest DVDs?

If it's generic scenery shots buying them for home use would be a big waste of money. Unless you love scenery. Or the sound quality is wonderful.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

boonie wrote:Excellent advices/responses. Thanks to all. I'm moving forward with my first Karaoke System. Is there a suggestion for a multi-format karaoke disc player for the best money/performance?
I have literally bought 30 or more players over the years. I'm now using a computer. The industry is heading toward computers and discs may shortly become useless. And the quality of any player is questionable. If it was me I would invest in a computer system and forget the disc players. They don't last and they can't be fixed because it's too expensive and nobody does it anymore.

I just threw out (garbage) about 10 laser players. At about $900 -1200 each when new.

When I used to get them repaired it was at least $400 each. I had 2-3 in the shop at a time. Lots of repair money.

The last players I bought (7) I considered throw aways. If they broke I tossed them. I got a good deal on them at about $175 each.

I even bought 2 $500 players after that and they gave me problems.

Using discs is CAVEMAN stuff.

I now use $2500 in (2) computers.