Last warning about this. PAY ATTENTION

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Last warning about this. PAY ATTENTION

Post by Bigdog »

I just bought 4 Sound Choice discs. :oops: I know...

After the end of one of the songs tonight..RIGHT on the screen for everyone to read was this WARNING:

(Not in these exact words) If you put their songs on a hard drive without permission you are illegal. (it was a lot longer written in lawyerese...)

How many more times do I have to tell you that SOMEONE is lying about SOUND CHOICES STANCE ON WHAT THEY CONSIDER LEGAL.

Putting their songs on a hard drive is illegal in their eyes STILL.

So for anoyne that wants to beleieve what you see or hear from anyone else including Sound Choice, do so at your own risk.

MikoZuna

Post by MikoZuna »

When were those disc Produced and Rleased? Certainly they are not anything new!

SC can not recall everything they released before making the 1:1 ratio acceptable.

Dont get me wrong, I LOATHE Sound Choice.. not for wanting to be compensated for their product.. but for the measures theyve gone to.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

They forgot to put unless you got written permission and to get that you have to go through an audit of your system. This will protect you from further legal action provided you don't violate the terms of being 1:1.

I have such permission.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Let's cut the crap....It did say in writing...

WE as professional KJs need to know the public stance of every disc manufacturer as to their policies in writing about back ups BEFORE WE SPEND ANYMORE HARD EARNED MONEY ON THEIR PRODUCTS>>>PERIOD>

I'm calling them out right now.

Sound Choice

Chartbusters

Chart/Pop Hits

Sunfly

Anyone else.

Put your stance right here in public for all to see. Include names and contact information for verification purposes.

I will not, I REFUSE to buy anymore karaoke music from any manufacturer until I know their postion on back up copies to my hard drive to protect my investment.

AS we speak I will be writing up my all new oldies karaoke song book. Should I make public the disc companies names that will be eliminated from this song book?

If it comes to that, which it looks like it is....I will not do another show with music from companies that refuse to make their postion public in all the karaoke forums.

WE have a right to know this information up front. WE support you. WE advertise for you during our shows every time we play one of your songs.

Maybe we should bill you for advertisement.

It's time to end the BS.....NOW

Put up or shut up. :shock: It's your move.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It says quote:

Copying this song or any Sound Choice song to a hard drive for commercial use without the proper permission or making multiple copies from a single disc or file constitutes willful infringement which may incur statutory damages of not less the $750 per song. Call 1800 758-4487 to talk to a customer service representative about getting a discounted rate on our entire library so your business is in compliance.

This notice is after every song on disc SC3502

It may be a year or two old. Regardless 1-1 is not as they said OK. :roll:
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

YOU can get the permission by getting an audit done like I did. I have their permission in writing. Not only in my audit packet but also in my license for the GEM series. Just contact Sound Choice to schedule an audit.
If you have this in writing via covenant not to sue then you can ignore those warning's because you have the permission to do so. If your venue questions this then show them the paperwork that excludes you from prosecution.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

From CB's site:

Media shifting for commercial purposes is only permitted with the express written consent of Chartbuster Karaoke. To obtain written permission you must consent to an audit of your commercial system(s). [removed contact info]
We do not indemnify you against any action or claim by any third party.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DanG2006 wrote:From CB's site:

Media shifting for commercial purposes is only permitted with the express written consent of Chartbuster Karaoke. To obtain written permission you must consent to an audit of your commercial system(s). [removed contact info]
We do not indemnify you against any action or claim by any third party.
See that last line you included???

Know what that means?

Copyright law still prevails. Meaning if they haven't paid for the rights to format shift, they can't give them to you.

The song owner/publishers could still come after you for doing a hard drive back up. So what did your audit pay for?

Just to satisfy them. You could still be breaking the copyright law....they don't care.

So let them get on all the public forums and tell everyone exactly what they allow in writing, before we spend anymore money on their products.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Believe what you want to believe, Bigdog. We will have to agree to disagree. I highly doubt in my little area of the world I would run into any of the writer's or publisher's of any of my music so I am willing to take that chance. I however won't take the chance with the karaoke manufacturers. I am working on getting my Pop Hits audited so that I can say that I'm covered by the big three.
In the meantime, I would go back to discs if I were you if you are so afraid of media shifting laws instead of cutting your nose off to spite your face. As for me I am staying computer based and proudly stating so.
Zhorell

Post by Zhorell »

Stingray makes the backing music, SC does only the graphics isn't?
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Just to add a comment to this discussion, with the 1 to 1 ratio as I see it you would not be allowed to have a backup copy on another computer to allow you to continue your show should your normal show computer take a dive, even though you are only using one at a time.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

mr.dj wrote:Just to add a comment to this discussion, with the 1 to 1 ratio as I see it you would not be allowed to have a backup copy on another computer to allow you to continue your show should your normal show computer take a dive, even though you are only using one at a time.
Which is why I run an external and carry a cdg player and discs in the car.. Which reminds me I need to replace the Madboy player that was stolen from me so I can run my shows without having to give up any songs.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

As I see it...it shouldn't matter if you have 25 hard drives as long as you only are using one at a time for one show and not using any of them to run 2 shows on the same night.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:As I see it...it shouldn't matter if you have 25 hard drives as long as you only are using one at a time for one show and not using any of them to run 2 shows on the same night.
As a lapsed computer service technician, this is exactly what I do as well.

I have three backups of my karaoke songs on three separate hard drives, one of which I take to my shows as a spare in the event the main drive packs in.

I can't see any issue the disc providers could possibly have with this as I only use one drive at any given time.

Further to Bigdog's comment on the "third party" disclaimer from SC, I totally agree with him.

This is simply SC's "out" in the event that the original and ONLY copyright owner decides to take action against a KJ.

Sandy.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Which is why I run an external and carry a cdg player and discs in the car.. Which reminds me I need to replace the Madboy player that was stolen from me so I can run my shows without having to give up any songs.
So you still have to carry all your disc's in the car. Do you leave these in the car while doing your show there bye running the risk of losing your collection if your car were broken into or stolen ?

Is there any way they would know if you had them on a backup hard drive just for if you had failure of the one you are using ?