My last glimmer of hope! Please help

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
Agrippa

My last glimmer of hope! Please help

Post by Agrippa »

Hi, I am an avid Karaoke user that have a problem, and I think that if you guys can't help me there is no solution for me. I have been trying to solve this for more than 200 hours of trouble shooting, but to no avail. I try to make it as short as possible:

I always loved to host Karaoke parties with only my Windows XP laptop, a TV and a microphone. If you think this is lofi, I admit it is, but it worked perfectly, and everyone was happy even if the quality wasn't the best.

Since then, my computer died and I had to get a Windows 7 computer, so the Input Monitor for microphones (where you can here yourself from the laptop speakers) stopped working, or working with 1 second latency. I have tried to solve the problem with the latency but after month of browsing I am pretty sure that this IDT card with Windows 7 will not be able to play karaoke by just pluggin in a microphone, like I used to do in the old days.

SO, I learned about ASIO4ALL, the the universal ASIO driver that gives even Windows 7 users with generic soundcards only 10ms latency with the mic. Great I thought, and managed to get the microphone working without latency in Ableton Live (even with effects!). I figured I could just start up my Karaoke player and start singing, but it turned out that when ASIO4ALL is running, I can not play sounds from any other music program (for example WinAmp if you like).

So, I am back to square one again. Is there anyone in here that use a Win7 laptop for great karaoke fun by just plugging in a mic and a TV? Is there any way to solve my problem?

I was thinking of one possibility that you guys could be the only ones that knows: Is there a music software program that play Karaoke CDG music that also use ASIO4ALL? For example, if Ableton would be able to play CDG, my problem would sort of be solved, but it doesn't (not in the way I want it).

I do not mean like Karafun or Winamp Karaoke that just play the songs and the CDG file, but a music program that support MicIn, ASIO4ALL, and reading CDG's?

Perhaps I am completely off, and there is an easier way, but how do you guys do with laptops? Do I really have to buy expensive soundcard and amps or speakers, when I was able to do it perfectly fine 8 years ago with just my laptop, TV and a mic? I mean, Windows7 really messed up big time, but knowing how much fun I had with such easy to get equipment, could this me solved?

Any help would be so greatly appreciated, I would be so happy. Thanks

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I hate to be really simplistic but given the grief you're having, wouldn't it be easier to just rip Win'7 off the PC and install XP???

Sandy
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Zhorell

Re: My last glimmer of hope! Please help

Post by Zhorell »

Agrippa wrote:
Since then, my computer died and I had to get a Windows 7 computer, so the Input Monitor for microphones (where you can here yourself from the laptop speakers) stopped working, or working with 1 second latency.[\b] I have tried to solve the problem with the latency but after month of browsing I am pretty sure that this IDT card with Windows 7 will not be able to play karaoke by just pluggin in a microphone, like I used to do in the old days.

Have you ever thought of just buyin' a cheap mixer so you don't have to user your PC's input for mics?
How to Build a Home Karaoke System