converting notebook 15-pin VGA output to coaxial output

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Wayne

converting notebook 15-pin VGA output to coaxial output

Post by Wayne »

I am dealing with a situation where the person is using a complicated system to convert the video output of her notebook to coaxial for use on a switched cable system.

There are three tvs connected together on a single cable line, in series. Between the cable input and the first tv is an A/B switch that allows the karaoke system to be the input source.

Is there a single box solution that converts the output from the 15-pin to coaxial, or does it have to be a multiply-coupled converter system?

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

You need a covertor from VGA (15 pin) to RCA. Then you need an RF modulator to get to standard coaxial cable.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Don't forget the RF amplifier to feed all the TVs without signal lose or interference.

The hardest part of doing karaoke is getting the TVs to work right.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:You need a covertor from VGA (15 pin) to RCA. Then you need an RF modulator to get to standard coaxial cable.
Not quite sure if that's what Wayne is meaning Dan???

Do TV's have a tuner in and out and are the 3 TV's on a line where the output of one is the input to the next??

My TV certainly doesn't have this option.

It sounds more like the user is doing this via the yellow RCA video input jack and piggy backing the other two TV's down the line.

Got to be honest, it would be better if Wayne put up a clearer explanation of what's going on.

Sandy
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I must be getting old. The tvs are not in series. The cable run, from the A/B switch is to a splitter that feeds to one tv and the other side to another splitter. That splitter feeds to both of the other tvs and to a TVPod that is currently unused (the bulb is out again, and I don't think the owner wants to replace it again). The old CD karaoke system used a RF converter. The laptop system the current KJ uses has that, but her conversion is done from the 15-pin to a 8-pin mini-din VGA input on a PCtoTV converter, then from the RCA output on that goes to the RF converter, and from there to the A/B switch. It is a pain to set up and take down 4 nights a week, and I was wondering if there was a device available that would put everything into one box. If all she needs is a 15-pin to RCA cable and a RF converter, then that eliminates the need for the PCtoTV converter.

Am I missing something?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Again, there is a convertor like that but it works only 10% of the time. Your friend is better off with what she is using now.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

OK, if I understand this correctly, you have an RF aerial coax that is split and then split again?

Then you have an AB switch that will allow the Karaoke RF to switch in to the TV's?

Point 1 is that splitting the signal so much will hugely reduce the quality of the RF signal

2 The conversion system from laptop to RF is ridiculously complex and should be simplified.

My solution would be to eliminate the AB box altogether and use a VGA/TV convertor for the laptop that gives composite video to an RCA lead. The video output of the VGA/TV convertor is usually low enough impedance that splitting to 3 TV's shouldn't cause too much grief. These convertors are readily available on Ebay for about $20.

For the TV RF input, I'd get a small TV aerial amplifier ( $10 from Ebay) with built in coax splitter and run that to the 3 TV aerial inputs.

All you'd need to do then is select the appropriate AV input on the TV's to get the Karaoke up on screen or the usual TV channels for the TV programs.

Much simpler.

Sandy