Best hosting software...

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958

Best hosting software...

Post by Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958 »

OK, I have a new laptop that's already copying my old machine's songs...

When it's done? I get to start from scratch with software.

I had to use Tricerasoft before--it was the only software that would work with my computer.

But now I can use anything.

What's your favorite--and why?

earthling12357

Post by earthling12357 »

I'm very fond of DigitalKJ.
Besides all of the features for running a fun and interesting show, I really like all the reporting features. It has complete history reporting for every singer as well as singer notes so you can keep track of birthdays or trouble makers or anything on an individual singer basis. It also breaks it down by venue, most sung songs by week month or year. Efficiency reports -- time between singers etc.

If you have an audience screen, DigitalKJ has alot of cool features like background visualizations, morphing scrolls for next singer or last call or any type of messsage you'd like to display.

It also has automatic crossfading for bumper music or DJ dance music. Plus it catalogs and plays your video files too.

I've not seen anything else that works as well, has as many useful features, and is as easy to learn to use.

The thirty day trial is the full featured version. Try it at DigitalKJ.com

Yes, the guy behind it is a friend of mine. But I met him through karaoke, and we didn't become friends until after I fell in love with his software.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I prefer Compuhost. Filler tunes, ticker at the bottom or top of the screen, however you set it up, ability to add as many songs to a singer's que as you want. Tells you approximately when the singer's next song will be. Easy to use. Kiosk software addon so that you can eliminate books and slips. etc. The only thing it doesn't do is play outside discs or video files from within the karaoke database. Oh and it is a standalone player, meaning it does not require an outside player to generate the audio and graphics.

That said, I will suggest you test out any and all softwares that have demos to see what features they might have that the others don't.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

HI there.
My preference is Karma from Latshaw Systems.

Not as expensive as Compuhost but full featured and easy to use.

My only real grouse with it is that it is power hungry and eats your processor capability but if you have a fast dual core machine, it's no hardship.

Digitalkj, mentioned above has already had comments made about it in another thread but other than the poster above, I believe the general concensus is that it's probably one of the worst pieces of software evr written. Untterable rubbish!!!

If budget is an issue, then JustKaraoke has to be your best option, with virually everything you might wish for at a very reasonable price and unlike Karma, it doesn't try to gobble up your processor's resources.

There are a few decent freeware options like Karafun, Tricerasoft and even Sunfly has a basic free player.

Avoid Sax & Dotty's as it needs Winamp to work.

Once again, avoid Digitalkj like the plague until the software writers get their heads out of their collective backsides and write something that actually IS useful.

In order of merit, IMHO;

Compushost (with serious misgivings about cost and it uses a dongle )

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I'll cast my vote for JustKaraoke. It's stable, lightweight, fast, has a clean easy to use interface, and all the features you need to run a professional karaoke show without a lot of bells and whistles that you will never use.

It does not play discs but personally I no longer play customer discs. I don't need the hassle of being accused of copying them for my own use.

For the most bang for your buck you can't go wrong with JustKaraoke.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Compuhost no longer uses a dongle but you need internet connection to activate it.
earthling12357

Post by earthling12357 »

I'd first like to thank those of you who have actually downloaded and tried DigitalKJ on my recommendation.
And thanks to those who came back and purchased it I know you will be extremely happy with it.

I'm not here to ignorantly rant about others' software and preferences or try to label someone else's preference as rubbish out of some unknown agenda, that would be flat out rude. I also won't seek to present myself as the authority who speaks for everyone... that only demonstates an incredible level of ignorance. I simply answered the question as asked with positive input.

A few more reasons DigitalKJ is my favorite:
Everything you need to manage the show is right on the desktop.
With the slip on the desktop format you get the big picture at a glance
No drag and drop from various folders, one click and done
Fast song search - just type a few letters
Singer repertoire and history
Can easily save singer repertoire to a pdf file with one click and send it home with your singer
Displays song length and how long since the singer last sang as well as how long until next up
Bumper music or video seemlessly between singers
Fully Adjustable scroll
Plays singers CDs
Built in ripper
Optionally Plays slide shows and videos behind words on audience screen
(I know one KJ who sells advertising to tattoo shops and shows it on the audience screen while the next singer is on the way to the mike)
Single screen mode allows for testing or practicing
One click key change and tempo change
Automatically remembers singers' key change preferences
The most complete history reporting I have ever seen
There's even an autopilot with voice prompts that's fun to goof with

Thanks agian
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

earthling12357 wrote:I'm not here to ignorantly rant about others' software and preferences or try to label someone else's preference as rubbish out of some unknown agenda, that would be flat out rude. I also won't seek to present myself as the authority who speaks for everyone... that only demonstates an incredible level of ignorance. I simply answered the question as asked with positive input.
Ignorant or not, the general concensus of the KJ's on this forum is that Digitalkj is crap.

To be very clear, no single person is presenting him/her self as an authority to speak for others on this bulletin board.

In a previous thread, you asked the members of this BBs to look at and evaluate the software presented, i.e. Digitalkj.

Several of the board members replied to your request and without exception, other than yourself, the board members regarded Digitalkj as not worth hard drive space.

As to your assertion that several of the members of this board "came back and purchased" Digitalkj, I would be curious to know the identities of these board members!

Given the "reviews" that Digitalkj received here, I'd be absolutely astonished if anyone on this BBs bought the program.

Please, make me eat my words!!!

It's your choice if this offends you but sadly, this will never remove the opinion of those who actually use hostiong software and formulate opinions based on actual real life situations.

Ignorant? Possbly!

Honest? Definitely.

Agenda? None!

If, compared to other Karaoke software on the market, Digitalkj fares badly, would you have us lie? That won't be me. Digitalkj, compared to Karma, Justkaraoke, Compuhost and others is pathetic in concept, usabilty and over complexity.

YOU asked the question and you were given a response. Nobody "ranted" about your software, but based upon evaluation of it, sadly, the reponse was unanimous. Compared to other software, both commercial and freeware Digitalkj was so far behind the rest that on a racetrack, it would be lapped several times

If YOU can't handle the reponse, that's your problem.

If YOU can't handle the heat after asking a question, stay out of the kitchen.

Sandy
earthling12357

Post by earthling12357 »

The question on THIS thread was:
"What's your favorite and why?"

So far everybody but one contrarian has answered that question positively.
The contrarian chose to ignore the question of this thread and instead posted unsolicited complaints about several software options. He didn't even bother to say what he liked about his own favorite.
I think that speaks for itself.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

earthling12357 wrote:The question on THIS thread was:
"What's your favorite and why?"

So far everybody but one contrarian has answered that question positively.
The contrarian chose to ignore the question of this thread and instead posted unsolicited complaints about several software options. He didn't even bother to say what he liked about his own favorite.
I think that speaks for itself.
I really think you haven't bothered to read the posts above.

In post #4, I clearly indicated my preferred choice of hosting software and compared it in a simple manner against the two previous posts about other software products in terms of usability, cost , etc.

I gave further information, again in my opinion, about other karaoke hosting programs.

This would give the original poster valuable feedback about the array of software "out there" and allow him to make an informed decision about which option he might choose.

In comparison to these other software products, some pretty basic, Digitakj comes up as poor and that's what I said and I stand by those comments.

I refer you to YOUR previous post here;

http://www.karaoke-tutor.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1287

I believe you will find NOT ONE single positive comment about Digitalkj, other than your own.

I, at least, had the courtesy to download and try the trial version, then gave my opinion.

Can YOU say the same about the others?

Have YOU downloaded and tried out the "opposition"?

I don't have Compuhost, so can't really comment on that but I have both Justkaraoke and Karma and in my opinion, both these programs are head and shoulders better than Digitalkj.

Justkaraoke in terms of cost and features.

As for Karma, my hoster choice, if you insist on my giving my "likes" about it, fine!

Karma is an easy to use, full featured karaoke hoster with superb search options.

It automatically configures a second monitor, so no need to drag and drop the lyric screen to another monitor.

Simple, clean GUI that is very user friendly and intuitive.

Fully able to work from separate MP3+G files or Zips from multiple sources.

Complete history and singer detail.

Built in audio effects and graphic equalizer.

Easy singer interface with automatic rotation handling.

Filler music capable.

Separate timers for remaining karaoke and music list.

Onscreen singer notification.

Variable skins to suit a KJ's preferance.

The list could go on.

Sandy
P.S. if you are going to call someone a "contrarian", perhaps you should look up the meaning of the word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrarian

From the link in the main body of this reply about your previous Digitalkj post, I believe the term "contrarian" applies more to you and your opinion of Digitalkj.