Cheap & Lame KJ

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Cheap & Lame KJ

Post by Bigdog »

Two different complaints.

I had a younger kid come up and asked me to DJ a song during karaoke. I told him I don't do karaoke that way. He was in total shock upon hearing this. Like something was wrong with ME.

As he was leaving the bar he said I was lame. :cry:

A different night there was a hockey game on. A new guy came up with slip in hand and asked me when I was starting. I told him after the game. He wasn't real happy about that, but no more than me. So then he asked if I have wifi so I can download songs.

I told him I don't do that. He said boy things must be tough around here. Like I'm being or the bar was cheap. (the bar has wifi) I said my computers never go on the internet. He acted like all KJs do that and I was an idiot. :cry:

He turned out to be a jerk anyway. He left one minute before I started and left a $1.75 tip for a $28 tab. The waiter was a little mad.

I'm working hard to improve my show skills.... :lol:

Bigdog

Cheap KJs

Post by Bigdog »

How good can a $50 KJ be?

Obviously not too good.

I just heard about a $50 KJ that was replaced by someone cheaper... :shock: :roll:
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
mnementh

Re: Cheap KJs

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:How good can a $50 KJ be?

Obviously not too good.

I just heard about a $50 KJ that was replaced by someone cheaper... :shock: :roll:
Sadly, this seems to be the norm these days.

Even at this side of the "pond", KJ's accepting £40 to £50 (about $25 - $65), or less, for 4 or 5 hours work is getting to be commonplace.

Cheap and cheerful equipment and a "loaded" hard drive from Ebay means there is no massive outlay, so there's no incentive to charge a fair price for a fair nights work.

One guy in a Bar just up the street from my local uses one speaker, a pretty cheap and nasty mixer/amp and doesn't even bother to use a second screen. The punters just sing from his laptop screen!

What's really sad about it is that the Bar manager doesn't seem to know or care that there is much better around.

Coupled with the usual tight fisted nature of Bar managers, it's driving down the price of Karaoke.

What's even worse is that some of the "KJ's" can barely hold a tune but just because they've been complimented on their ability at another Karaoke, they think it's easy.

We end up in a "catch 22" situation where Bar managers won't pay decent money for a decent Karaoke.

While I don't have the outlay that Bigdog has in his system, I believe I give good value for money and charge accordingly.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I really hate to ask this question... :deadhorse:

Are these KJs playing dance music or using other karaoke distractions?

I just had this conversaton with a singer last night. He wants to sing not sit through dance music. His biggest complaint was whenever the dance music starts playing and the singers have to wait...the better singers get mad and leave and the crappy singers that don't really care about karaoke take over the show. So you end up with a bunch of screaming drunks and dancers.

So again if you are chasing away the singers to cater to dancers you'll have no karaoke show.

Now I heard a few weeks ago I'm not being considered for a karaoke job because the bar owner wants someone to play dance music and he knows I don't.

Sandy, I'm willing to bet a KJ that can fill the bar with singers and listeners using just karaoke could get more money.

Another singer talked to me the other night. He's trying to get me a job in the neighborhood I just left. Rich/upper middle to upper class people live there.

I'm going to ask for $250 if they call. That will be a high pay record for me if it happens. But then again this price is going to be based on my reputation from what I did down the road. And no, I refuse to play one dance song for that money.

It's going to be all karaoke for two reasons. One I can do and two the caliber of singers I attract. Because I strictly cater to singers ONLY.
earthling12357

Post by earthling12357 »

I've noticed this too. It seems to be a phenomenon associated with the younger and newer hosts that would rather picture themselves as a radio DJ. They appear to be ashamed of karaoke and don't care that they are running a karaoke show that has been advertised as such. Apparently that's just not as cool as being a DJ.

I went to a bar a month ago that advertised "karaoke night" and found one of those guys hosting the show.

He addressed the crowd with his special "radio voice" and although he had NINE singers waiting to sing, he played THREE DJ songs in between every singer. All the while he was trying to get people to dance. There was more dancing during the karaoke singers than there was during his little DJ act yet that didn't stop him from trying to be a DJ.

An hour passed and only three of the nine had been called up to sing. That's when my group got up and left without singing. I'll never go back.

When wanna-be DJs host a karaoke show, the singers always take a back seat and are treated like they are getting in the way of the "real party".
Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958

Re: Cheap & Lame KJ

Post by Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958 »

[quote="Bigdog"]Two different complaints.

"So then he asked if I have wifi so I can download songs. I told him I don't do that."

Hey, I hear ya' about the kid being pushy not to mention cheap.

But the truth is, I'm HAPPY to download a song! That's what keeps my catalog "hip". I figure the customer is doing me a favor, telling me what's popular.

Plus, it builds my reputation. ("This guy is awesome! If he doesn't have it, he'll get it right away!") That's building our business!

I also give out cards with the Tricerasoft website on it. I tell 'em: if it's on there, I can get it for you!

(Sound Choice is starting to let you download from their site too but I won't touch that as there's a disclaimer: "not for professional use".)

That said, I like Sound Choice's offer of 6,000 songs plus financing. It would be good if more KJs got "legal".

But another problem there: they just give you the discs! (What a pain in the butt that is loading them all!!!)

So it seems sound choice is getting CLOSER to digital, just not all the way quite yet.

Sorry for the rant.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958 wrote:
Bigdog wrote:Two different complaints.

"So then he asked if I have wifi so I can download songs. I told him I don't do that."

But the truth is, I'm HAPPY to download a song! That's what keeps my catalog "hip". I figure the customer is doing me a favor, telling me what's popular.

Plus, it builds my reputation. ("This guy is awesome! If he doesn't have it, he'll get it right away!") That's building our business!

I also give out cards with the Tricerasoft website on it. I tell 'em: if it's on there, I can get it for you!

(Sound Choice is starting to let you download from their site too but I won't touch that as there's a disclaimer: "not for professional use".)

That said, I like Sound Choice's offer of 6,000 songs plus financing. It would be good if more KJs got "legal".

But another problem there: they just give you the discs! (What a pain in the butt that is loading them all!!!)

So it seems sound choice is getting CLOSER to digital, just not all the way quite yet.

Sorry for the rant.
I'm like Bigdog on the online stuff with my show computer. Besides there isn't a licensing agency like they have in the UK for licensing downloads or the big three (Sound Choice, Chartbuster and Pop Hits Monthly) would allow their products to be used commercially via download.

By the way it only took me three nights to transfer the songs off of the gem series onto my computer sitting at the computer for three hours a night. I used PowerKaraoke to transfer them and zip them. I then bought Music Box Deluxe to rename them so the names were correct.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958 wrote:
Bigdog wrote:Two different complaints.

Sorry for the rant.
First of all my karaoke computers don't go on the net. I'm not taking a change with a virus shutting down my show. I have had to replace computers that I couldn't wipe the drives because the virus wouldn't allow it.

Second, I edit my song book. I'm not going to instantly down load a Fu%&^ song so some show hijacker can "impress" the crowd. I tell them I'll look for it. Meaning I'm going home to look up the lyrics and if I approve I'll buy it for you, if not I can't get it. :wink:

I'm not into having some punk think I'm cool for instant downloads. I'm happy to look like a square and run a clean show.

Once you download it and they see you do it you're screwed.
Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958

I don't use a full song book. It would be too big! Instead, I have five or six copies of a 10 page summary of the most popular songs which I update every quarter or so based on what people are requesting. (The cover says "this is just a sampling--if you don't see it, ask.:) In general, the book is very customized to our customers.

I'm thinking of taking my old laptop, which can't play the songs anymore but can sure search the phantom archives, and creating a sort of "dumb" kiosk. (They'll still have slips to complete.)

As for not caring about some punk kid? I hear ya'. There are a lot of jerks and the ONE you're talking about certainly seems to fit the bill. We had another one last night I wanted to punch.

But then again... The main reason I got roped into this is that my wife manages the bar. When karaoke succeeds, she gets loads of tips from those punks. And their friends. And their friends' friends. So "jerks" or genuine "punks" aside, I view it as my job to make people feel important and wanted. They're our customers!

As for copyright law not keeping up with the times, I doubt, seriously, they'd have either the interest in prosecuting or for that matter, a case I couldn't get thrown out immediately. Like I say, I have stacks to back my tracks--and to any reasonable person, paid downloads from a site which makes no claims to the contrary are legal. I believe they're legal. And my intent is always to obey the law. (Intent is essential in a criminal or civil case.)

Here's something else to think about. Our bar owner (we work at only one bar--this is part time for both of us) pays ASCAP and BMI each year for a release. He says that his lawyer assures him that this covers the bar for any copyright violations that might exist on my or any one else's laptop (we do use a backup KJ on occasion).

I told him not to worry. I'm 1:1 (except for Tricerasoft downloads--for which I'm only now understanding there might be an issue). But he said because we also do an open mic (I run that too) and we have TV and MP3s (on a new Bose system--wow!!!), plus occasional live acts, he doesn't want to take a chance.

And since the laptop now stays at the bar full time...it's essentially bar property...I believe "we're" safe with our 250 or so downloads from Tricerasoft. (I seem to download another 1 or 2 every session now.)

Where am I wrong? What am I missing? (I really want to hear other views. This confluence of fast-evolving technologies, archaic laws, an entrenched and change-resistant industry and live entertainment is fascinating to me.)

And on another note, what are your favorite singing customers singing these days? We have "Alaina" who sings pretty much our entire Taylor Swift collection--amazingly I might add. And this new guy "David" who is great at 70's prog rock like Styx and Kansas. Oh...and "Dale" sounds just like Ozzy--maybe even better--on War Pigs!)

Best!
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Got a report about a local KJ last night.

Nobody singing all night untill the 2 singers that told me about this showed up at midinight. He was DJing all night.

Why does a bar owner need a KJ that has to DJ all night because they have no singers. And there were others known to sing already there?

Perect example of a KJ killing karaoke.
Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958

I have no fear of computer viruses or malware...I've been working with computers and networking for 30 years.

Any other reasons not to go online?

Re the guy DJing... No singers? I've never been faced with that situation for more and 45 minutes or so. But in that case, I turn it into my own show. I sing for the crowd. I take requests.

How would you guys handle no singers? (I know your regular gigs have tons of singers...but what if you were trying to get a new show started?)

Always learning...always listening...
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

First and foremost I run karaoke business. I only cater to singers.

Even at a brand new gig, it's all karaoke even if I have to sing every note the entire 4 hours.

No dance music ever.

Virus is the first reason.

F bomb songs is the next. I'm not going to cater to dancers or show hijacker singers that want to turn MY show into something I don't want it to be. Instantly downloading a song that I'm not familiar with that turns out to be a song I'm gonna regret, isn't an option.

If you don't like my song selection you have several options.

#1 you can ask me to get you a song at my descretion.

or #2 go somewhere else to sing or dance.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958 wrote:I have no fear of computer viruses or malware...I've been working with computers and networking for 30 years.

Any other reasons not to go online?

Re the guy DJing... No singers? I've never been faced with that situation for more and 45 minutes or so. But in that case, I turn it into my own show. I sing for the crowd. I take requests.

How would you guys handle no singers? (I know your regular gigs have tons of singers...but what if you were trying to get a new show started?)

Always learning...always listening...
I must admit that my Karaoke laptop doesn't go online, simply because I won't risk a Malware attack.

In my time, I've been a University IT test technician, so I also have no particular "fear" of Virii or Malware but why take the chance?

As for the "no singer" night(s), I make it plain that I will take the opportunity to practice new and old songs, to keep my voice going.

My standard spiel for this is "if you want ME off the mike, put your name up"

It usually works within a few songs.

Hmmmmm! Wonder if they're trying to tell me something?? :oops:

Sandy
Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958

Hey...that's another interesting avenue of discussion...what sorts of things do you say during your show?

I like that: "If you want me off the mic, put your name in."

What are your (and others') standard lines after someone has finished singing?

I say "give it up for..." or "let's hear it for...." or "That was ......!"

Of course I improvise depending on the circumstance. But what about standard expressions? (I'd love to learn some more.)

Oh, this is goofy, but people laugh their asses off.

I mention several times a night that we have a CKS outreach program on Thursdays...the joke being Chronic Karaoke Syndrome. (Thursday is open mic--I give them a chance to play their instruments instead or sing with a live instrument player.)

I also drop this goofball line a few times: If music is your heroin--let us be
the syringe baby!

Anything anyone wanna' share?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I don't download music during a show. But then I really don't need to. If I don't have the song it probably doesn't exist. It's been years since I've heard "but the other karaoke I went to had that song".

There are KJs that also play DJ music and there are DJs that also do karaoke. Few are truly professional at both. That's were I'm different.

I operate a Karaoke and DJ service. I can be hired to perform karaoke or DJ or both.

If I am hired to perform karaoke it will be advertised as such and NO DJ dance music will be played at any time during the show.

If I am hired to DJ it will be advertised as such and the singers mics will not hooked up and NOBODY will sing karaoke at any time during the show.

If I am hired perform both karaoke and DJ then the two will be alternated throughout the show at my discretion.

The customers will know what type of entertainment to expect when they decide to show up.

I'm not one of those KJs that simply play some DJ dance music. When I DJ out come the lights and the music is professionally mixed, cross faded, and beat matched.

My karaoke system is unmatched in the area with top quality components and superior sound.

Being able to karaoke and DJ gives you versatility. I have performed at places where the singers were the type of people who did not stay out late and would leave after a couple of hours and that's when the younger dance crowd would be showing up. I had them both covered and the bar made a lot more money than they would have if I performed just one or the other.

When I hear someone make the comment that DJ music kills a karaoke show I say Bullshit! It's KJs who THINK they are DJs and bogus advertising that kill the show.