Jackie Evancho...

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Everything in this world can be fixed....it's always about the money.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Little Jackie Evancho from the USA was special guest on Britain's Got Talent and she took them by storm. There is no stopping this little girl.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyBIsfxWw5k

Here she is in a Duet with the greatest opera singer
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qecULT01iE

She is the youngest person to ever get a platinum album in the USA
1.5 million sold on her debut album

Jackie Evancho set to become the youngest-ever artist to have top 5 album in British charts
Jackie's just turned 11
And now her own concert
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwSd6pd5UAQ
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi guys.
I've fought against listening to this wee lassie, simply because child prodigies seldom work.

However, given the publicity she gained at the Britain's Got Talent show, I thought I better give her a listen.

Got to say there is massive potential talent there buuuuuuut.

I have listened to the "Jackie Evancho Collection" without the misdirection of seeing this little body producing the voice that is seemingly so powerful.

Sadly, when the distraction of the slight figure producing a seemingly powerful vocal is brought into context, she sounds seriously immature, for a very good reason.

She IS immature!

She is an 11 year old being touted as having the vocal power of a mature singer.

It ain't so!

Her breath control is poor.

Her vocal projection is weak.

Her "precence" is to all intents and purposes is non-existant.

If my comments seem very negative, trust me, they're not.

Her potential is phenomenal.

But sadly, if the commercial morons get hold of her, her voice will be destroyed in the pursuit of the "mighty dollar".

And please, don't forget that a girls voice "breaks", same as a boy's, even if not as dramatically, so there is no assurance that at age 13, she will still be a Soprano.

I wish her the best of luck but I fear the powers that be will destroy the potential before it bursts into flower.

However, if you fancy a different vocal experience, have a listen to the the link below.

You'll recognise it from "The Fifth Element" but after you click on the link, CLOSE YOUR EYES until the vocalist kicks in.

Trust me, you're in for a shock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3yfFOq_CFQ

And it's not a trick.

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I've been saying all along that the same voice coming out of a 25 year old would get little recognition. It's simply the novelty of a child being able to sing like this.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

OK...if you are talking about a live performance....the nervous factor kicks in.

Any album cuts shoud be close to perfect because they can have the do over factor. So Listening to ANY artist live verses recorded shouldn't count as being the same.

She is an extremely talented little girl.

I listened to those links and cried...seriously...she is gifted. I'm an adult and I wish I was half that good.

There have been nights where I could do no wrong and others were embarrassing. I've heard it in many singers at karaoke. Throat things, sinus crap, ears stuffed....nobody can be perfect all the time....

I've heard singers on albums and live and thought "wow they suck..." the recording was so much better.

I'll always remember a Kenny Rogers TV interview right after he became famous.....He said I know I'm not the best singer around, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Sometimes it's the vocal uniqueness or the song or whatever that makes the difference.

Don't count out vocal effects (reverb) either. I did notice she has a wonderful vibrato.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

We had a parallel to this in the UK in the late 90's with Charlotte Church who, IMHO would have sung Ms Evancho off the stage at a similar age and who is now useless as far as Opera is concerned because the Dollar chasers worked her so hard, her Metzo Soprano voice disappeared.

She too, started out in her pre-teens and she was I believe just turned 12 when this was recorded live;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNkMq8H- ... re=related

A very few years later and the power in her voice was astonishing, again recorded live here. Note how far she is from the microphone. Serious pair of lungs with the extra growth spurt;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8g6Tqqc6DQ

Sadly, this has now passed and she is primarilly a "pop" singer.

Sad really!

The voice of an angel singing "pop".

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

When you go to YouTube to check out these videos you find that there is no shortage of adult singers every bit as good as, or better than, Jackie Evancho and Charlotte Church singing arias.

The sad fact is that if these girls don't take advantage of their novelty of youth they will never have this type of success. The older they get the more competition they have.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:When you go to YouTube to check out these videos you find that there is no shortage of adult singers every bit as good as, or better than, Jackie Evancho and Charlotte Church singing arias.
Sorry Wiseguy but certainly in Charlotte Church's case, she's now 25 BTW, at age 19 - 20 she had a superb operatic voice that would rival the best of them and most definitely, she would have ripped Sarah Brightman, for an example, to shreds.

What i've noticed however, is that opera singers other than a very few are completely unable to throw off the voice training and sing "pop" music well.

Most of them, including "Lucy" when he had a go are simply embarrassing to listen to.

I'll name the aforementioned Sarah Brightman and Katherine Jenkins as horrific examples.

I can think of only two that have been able to do it successfully, one being Charlotte Church and the other is Russell Watson who can belt out a pop song with the best of 'em (He sang the theme from the Enterprise TV series).

Bloody American producers, taking off the best Star Trek series since TOS (you ain't a Trekkie if you don't know what TOS means 8) )

Sandy
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I should have remembered this voice;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2-YGGn ... re=related

Please remember that this was recorded 64 years ago, when Dame Julie Andrews was 12 years old.

The top note in this performance is outrageous.

Unfortunately, it also illustrates what I most dislike about Soprano performance, the up and down, practicing scales routine. Gets right on my threepennies (look it up under Cockney slang 8) )

I'm afraid Ms. Evancho has a VERY long way to go 'till she can achieve this level.

Charlotte Churchs' voice range was 3 1/2 octaves, that is pretty good in anyones view but Julie Andrews spanned 4 octaves, which was a phenomenon.

Sadly a thoat operation an 1997 cut short a singing career that spanned decades.

Sandy