Demanding Pop Drinkers

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Demanding Pop Drinkers

Post by Bigdog »

Last night two female pop drinkers came in at starting time.

All the tables are taken. There are 25 golfers setting at 5 tables pushed together. Now the golfers switched from going to the smoking bar to hang at the nonsmoking bar. So they are new and come every week and eat and drink. So the bar owner wants to cater to them some.

The pop drinkers walk around the bar to where the owner is sitting. They say to him...all the tables are taken.....like they mean he should tell the golfers to give them a table.

So right away he isn't happy. He tells them...they are spending a lot of money....She says...are you saying we're cheap?....He says no....they are spending a lot of money...

Then they come up to me.....Now the bar owner doesn't want to start karaoke for 2 singers that sing depressing songs that could chase away the golfers. They are the only singers so far....

She tells me she took an extra long nap so she could stay out till 11 oclock and she wants to start singing RIGHT NOW. I tell her they are the only people in the bar for karaoke right now. So they are out numbered....

So long story short they told me they would go to another karaoke show to sing.

The bar owner really doesn't care if they ever come back ....because they only drink 1 or 2 pops per night. So their business isn't really keeping the lights on.

Now later that night the bar owner tells me.....we have a great relationship but if all I can attract is cheap pop drinkers and he starts to rattle off their names.....he doesn't need my services...

I still have a job...but CHEAP POP drinkers could cost me my job.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

All the names he rattled off also happen to be the ones that complain the most..... :roll:
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

We started putting table top tents at one venue that reads "$10.00 minimum per table during karaoke". Works like a charm. Some water drinkers have complained every now and then but people have to spend money when they come out to sing.
I used to be a believer in the more people in your bar the more that will come and thats true to a point. However, you can't take up a table for three hours and not spend any money.
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

Bigdog wrote:All the names he rattled off also happen to be the ones that complain the most..... :roll:
It's not the host who attracts these people. Regardless of who's hosting, the complaining pop drinkers will still drink pop and complain. It's thier nature. 8)
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
http://www.diehardkaraoke.com
[email protected]
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The owner months ago warned them about all their depressing songs...

At this stage of the game if they quit coming he will be fine with it.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Charge a cover charge at the door and give each person a couple of markers that can each be redeemed for a regular drink and is equal to the amount of the cover charge. Only the freeloaders won't want to pay it.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I would never go to karaoke if they changed a cover and I don't care if they were giving me chips.

Second, I'm a pop drinker... :oops:

The problem isn't with water drinkers that I can tell....

It's just these ladies expect the world to revolve around them....It ain't gonna happen....

If my girlfriend ever gets the one outside....she'll probably rip her head clean off.... :shock:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:I would never go to karaoke if they changed a cover and I don't care if they were giving me chips.

So there you go. Thanks for affirming that this idea works. :)
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Question for BigDog: does your bar charge for your sodas as the markup for sodas is much more compared to beer. Plus you never know if these "Pop drinkers" are driving Beer drinkers home. Where I am the last bar they were at was held responsible if they sold alcohol to a drunk driver involved in an accident and the bar can be sued by the family of anyone killed by the drunk driver. So it is good for business to have designated drivers, them I would give free nonalcoholic drinks to all night.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:Question for BigDog: does your bar charge for your sodas as the markup for sodas is much more compared to beer. Plus you never know if these "Pop drinkers" are driving Beer drinkers home. Where I am the last bar they were at was held responsible if they sold alcohol to a drunk driver involved in an accident and the bar can be sued by the family of anyone killed by the drunk driver. So it is good for business to have designated drivers, them I would give free nonalcoholic drinks to all night.
Goof points, all!

I don't know about your side of the "pond" but over here, soda prices in Pubs are ridiculously high.

Coke that I can buy in a supermarket for 40 - 50 pence a can costs £1.50 in the Pub.

Even worse is the rubbish that they squirt out of the multi-drink dispensers that I worked out costs something in the range 6 - 8 pence for a pint and they charge £1.50 for it.

Bar managers absolutely LOVE soda drinkers over here, as long as they buy a few while they're in the premises.

Sandy.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:
Bigdog wrote:I would never go to karaoke if they changed a cover and I don't care if they were giving me chips.

So there you go. Thanks for affirming that this idea works. :)
The issue is bigger than me.

I have never heard of anyone ever charging a cover for karaoke. I'm not alone in not willing to paying a cover for karaoke.

Alcohol drinkers will think they are paying enough with their drinks.

Paying a cover for a DJ is rare. Bands yes....DJs and karaoke no.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DanG2006 wrote:Question for BigDog: does your bar charge for your sodas as the markup for sodas is much more compared to beer. Plus you never know if these "Pop drinkers" are driving Beer drinkers home. Where I am the last bar they were at was held responsible if they sold alcohol to a drunk driver involved in an accident and the bar can be sued by the family of anyone killed by the drunk driver. So it is good for business to have designated drivers, them I would give free nonalcoholic drinks to all night.
True about the liability....

The probelm is then every pop drinker suddenly becomes a designated free pop drinker.

I have told every bar owner if it was up to me....pop, water and beer would be the same price and then I don't care what you drink.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The problem is that even the beers aren't the same price. One is $2.00 while another is $2.50.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bars make the bulk of their profit from liquor. The markup on beer is typically 100 to 150 percent and canned or bottled soda is about the same. The markup on liquor is typically 500 to 600 percent.

Most beer and mixed drink drinkers will have at least 5 or 6 drinks over the course of the evening. And if they are in a group there will likely be rounds of shots purchased. These are the type of customers that allow the bar to operate and be able to hire karaoke.

Most "pop drinkers" will nurse 1 or 2 sodas for an entire evening. These are the freeloaders who just take up space and seating away from "real" paying customers. There has to be some way to make these people pay their fair share for the entertainment.

"The pop is going to cost $5.00 and there is a 2 drink minimum. Enjoy your evening."

If $10.00 is too much to spend for an evening of karaoke then stay home.

Designated drivers are the exception but there really are not enough of them in a bar at any given time to make much of a difference.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DanG2006 wrote:The problem is that even the beers aren't the same price. One is $2.00 while another is $2.50.

During the entertainment a minimum drink price is in effect....all drinks start at $2 (pop, bottled water & the cheap beer/special) and up...