What did you guys think of Karaoke Battle USA??

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
spotlightjr

What did you guys think of Karaoke Battle USA??

Post by spotlightjr »

Hey, was curious what other hosts thought of the Karaoke Battle USA series. I was involved at a local level here in S Florida a few months back and was anticipating a great karaoke extravaganza. I was not really impressed with the first show and have somehow missed the other few weeks since.
2 out of the 4 finalists we sent from here to NEW YORK made the finals so I feel somewhat vindicated. The New York auditions air Friday, Sept 2nd at 9pm if anyone is interested

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

18-19 years ago Pioneer had a national karaoke contest. The finals were hosted by Sinbad in Vegas, on TV.... It went local, regional, half the country and finals. Each bar had to buy in at $250 for the promo package and T shirts and trinkets.

I had people accuse me of rigging the contest. I had people want to beat up judges. I had people get mad and not come back for 6 months.

It gave me a bad taste about karaoke contests. It also woke me up to the anger levels people felt when they or their friends didn't win. And the bar owners that wanted to fix the contest so a regular won....I don't operate that way...If you're going to have a contest that I'm doing....it will be fair or get someone else....that was before I stopped doing them forever...

I refuse to do any singing contests....I'll quit all my jobs first. It's not worth it to me...or the bar. To many karaoke whores just go from contest to contest. Never do become regulars...once the money is gone...so is everyone else...

So after all those nights/weeks you made one person happy and pi$$ed off everyone else....
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Bigdog wrote: To many karaoke whores just go from contest to contest. Never do become regulars...once the money is gone...so is everyone else...

So after all those nights/weeks you made one person happy and pi$$ed off everyone else....
I agree with you, these people just follow the money and your regulers don't stand a chance. Keep it fun and you won't upset anyone.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I agree with both of you. I don't do contests because it pisses off regulars who don't get to sing their normally alotted songs, the newbies that come disappear as soon as the winner is announced.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

When any bar owner gets the bright idea to do a karaoke contest....I explain my position and suggest a giveaway that allows everyone in the bar an equal opportunity to win. Such as just handing a ticket to everyone coming in the door. Then we will throughout the night pick tickets to win. Nobody can get mad. Every singer can still sing all night. There is no pressure to compete. Even the nonsingers have a chance to win. Fun for everyone.

If they don't like that idea and insist on a real karaoke contest....I explain my postition to not participate and give them the option to get a new KJ.
djBe

Post by djBe »

Judging is the key to karaoke contests, as long as the judging is totally separated from the KJ all will be ok for the KJ (usually).

Also, duration. As long as the contest is not longer than a couple of months.....eight weeks gives you seven finalists and figuring on two no shows, a field of five you can count on for the finals.

Karaoke contests blow...when I have to do them I do my best to get through them unscathed, I too offer other promotions to avoid them lol, but whenthere is no choice save for losing the gig (which are few and far between in my neck of the woods) i try to do them the best i can.
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083