Cheap & Lame KJ

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Partially agree with the last statement. But I can provide lines and lines of singers that refuse to stay at karaoke shows that start catering to dancers.

All entertainment should be advertised as to what to expect.

If it's a karaoke night...that's what people expect. They don't want the KJ playing music inbetween singers and making singers wait 15-20 minutes between each singer. If it's going to be KJ/DJ night then people can make up their minds as to whether they want to attend or not.

Advertising a "karaoke" night and then having the KJ turn into a DJ pi$$es the serious singers off. It's a great way to kill your business. But then again so is advertising you'll be doing both. I have heard this repeatedly from KJs from other forums crying about how they have to cater to the wishes of the crowds. No you don't. The night was a karaoke night. Now if you can't handle that do everyone a favor and quit. You're screwing it up for actual KJs.

I have been told that most of the singers that do remain are bad singers, not serious singers, drunk singers or ones that want to be the stars because even on a crap system they can still sound decent.

I don't claim to be a DJ and never have I hate to DJ. It's the reason I stopped doing weddings and parties.

My passion has always been promoting high quality karaoke as a viable form of entertainment.

Chasing singers away from your shows whether you think you are or are oblivious to that fact, kills your business.

The kicker question should be why do I have to play more and more dance music every karaoke night? The answer is...you're killing them.

djBe

Post by djBe »

I like both sides of the karaoke-DJ music argument, but lean with Wiseguy...versatility, done right, is always right. That said, someone like Big Dog - whose very reputation is built on karaoke only, carves a niche in his market as being the singers' KJ, nothing at all wrong with that.

There is one other element to this equation - video. Since KJs already have, or are connected to, multiple screens, why let those screens sit idly blue when they can be filled with movement and light? I have some great videos from the 80s as well as new hits from the likes of Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, etc - and everything in between. I even have rare 70s and 60s vids like Boots were Made For Walkin..Nacy Sinatra, whoa!

So long story short, I read my room and if they are starting to get ansty to dance or are getting sung out, I'll run a video or two. Then back to the karaoke.
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Tonight I got most of my singers up twice and barely got a couple up three times before the show ended. Played two "nonkaraoke songs" before starting the karaoke. Gave me time to enter five singers worth of songs into the que.