USB drivers for On-Key Karaoke mic unit - Model WK-202

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wdh

USB drivers for On-Key Karaoke mic unit - Model WK-202

Post by wdh »

Hi Forum:

New user, first post. Tried doing a search first but I kept getting this nasty Cracker-Tracker error message.

I have an On-Key Karaoke microphone unit Model WK-202. It still works and I'd like to push more songs on it through the USB connection. The software CD that came with this unit is long gone.

The URL onkeysongs.com is printed right on the back of the unit. The site doesn't 404, it just doesn't load. There must be orphaned DNS records out there on the web that are still pointing to it or something.

Another affiliate was onkeykaraoke.com, owned by IVL Technologies, who manufactured this karaoke mic. Under a consumer products tab on that site there is a disclaimer right at the top that says they no longer support Oncore Karaoke Systems. (Much less On-"Key", right?)

They do show a list of past consumer products with linked pdf files, but this On-Key WK-202 model is not listed. The first model they DO show, an Oncore OHK-01, is identical in appearance but internal specs may be different. I don't know.

Various combinations of Google search terms containing On-Key, USB, drivers, WK-202, karaoke, etc. turn up nothing.

Does anyone here have a driver for this archived somewhere??

Thank you all.

-Dave

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Google was your first mistake...

fun but site to download songs is dead., July 12, 2010
By retsaM nogarD "avid game player and futurama fan" (falls church, va, usa) - See all my reviewsThis review is from: On-Key Karaoke Player Professional System (Electronics)
july 11 2010 was the last day to download songs from site.
site died july 12 2010.
so, the only songs are the ones it comes with.

Looks like you are out of luck.....

Which means the item must not have been too popular or they lost money on the music aspect. It wasn't worth staying in business.

Maybe a computer guru could find a way to add more songs...but it will cost you for their time whether they succeed or not.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi there.
does your mike have a chip socket on it?

Some Onkey mike systems had this feature;

http://www.modelflight.com.au/on_key_karaoke.htm

If so, then all you should need is a card reader and means of getting the songs into the correct format.

Sandy
wdh

Post by wdh »

Thanks for the replies, folks. How come you don't like Google, Dog?

I'm pretty sure I can use Cakewalk to create midis with lyrics in the proper format but I can't get WinXP to recognize the USB device to see what format the existing midis are in.

I've found the pdf manual for this device online. It makes reference to an application called "Karaoke Manager". I'm going to imagine that application carried the necessary drivers. Unfortunately, "Karaoke Manager" is a very generic application name that yields thousands upon thousands of hits.

If the manual made reference to the actual name of the msi installer or the executable that was on the CD I'd search for that.

Sandy, I had found that page before through various search terms on Google. This device doesn't have a card slot, only an A/V out jack and a mini-usb connector.

I'm hoping someone on the forum might have had one of these and knew where a device driver could be found. I don't need the Karaoke Manager application, just the device driver.

If someone has a similar device that they would be willing to connect to their computer, could you please open Device Manager, select Properties for that device, click Driver tab, click Driver Details button and then post the name or names of the *.sys or *.dll driver files?

I'm asking a lot but I will be forever in your debt if that information brings me a solution.

-Dave

Bumping for Great Justice.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Dave,
when you say you can't get XP to recognize the device, does XP actually "know" that you've connected a USB device?

i.e. do you get the usual "beep" and "new hardware detected" dialogue?

If so, what happens then?

Sandy
wdh

Post by wdh »

Hi Sandy:

Oh yeah, I get the usual two-tone chime when I plug it in. It's not recognized and the "Found New Hardware" wizard opens.

It asks if I want to let Windows connect to Windows Update to check for drivers which is my only real option. It asks for an install CD if I have one which I don't. Windows then connects, searches, comes up with nothing, and finally states that it cannot install this hardware.

It's behaving exactly as I expect it would.

I guess I'm hoping that usb hardware between karaoke device manufacturers might have something in common and searching for a known driver file name might yield better results than searching in the way I described in the first post.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Dave,
sorry to say that I've had a good hunt aropund but can't find anything to help you out.

I've even tried newsgroup and torrent searches but while I get lots of "hits" for onkey karaoke manager, in practise I find no solution.

Sadly it might be easier in the long run to get yourself a simple Karaoke system, instead.

Best of luck.

Sandy.
P.S. if you DO get lucky and find something, please DO come back and let the forum know.
wdh

Post by wdh »

Sandy, I found it.

I decided to do a search on the hardware ID of the unknown USB device. This is found in Device Manager, Properties of unknown device, Details tab, then select Hardware IDs in the dropdown. In this case the first of two hardware IDs was USB\Vid_0d60&Pid_0002&Rev_0001.

A Google search on that hardware ID came back with one single hit to a page on www.yourpcdrivers.com. (Yay Google!)

That page held a link to an application that, once installed, would scan your machine's hardware and provide recommendations on finding and updating any device drivers.

I was skeptical but I downloaded it and installed it.

I launched the installed application and initiated the scan. In about a minute it returned the list. The unknown usb device was listed at the top of the page with a recommended driver by IVL Technologies that included a link to that driver.

That linked page listed a driver named "handheld karaoke", with a link to the executable Handheld_Karaoke_v6.0.2.exe.

It was a self-extracting WinZip file that contained two applications, one was Karaoke Manager and the other was a device driver.

It worked. I can plug in the Karaoke Mic and launch the Karaoke Manager application to connect to it.

The Karaoke Manager app (dated May 22, 2003) still looks to connect to a site that's no longer in existence but I expected that.

I was anticipating that once I had the proper driver installed I could browse the contents of the karaoke mic in Windows Explorer as if it were a logical drive. It's not. It's another usb peripheral that only Karaoke Manager understands.

I think they were following Apple's lead when they designed this one.

I learned two things, forum.

One: You can find drivers by hardware ID.
Two: Don't try to resurrect the functionality of an old On-Key Karaoke Mic.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Congrats, Dave.

Just proves that with perseverance, you CAN get things to work.

Sandy.