Sony Karoake set-up - O&M Manual

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Jazzman

Sony Karoake set-up - O&M Manual

Post by Jazzman »

Hi all, I am new here.
I am looking for a Owner's Manual for a Sony "Edit-A-Vision" a CD Graphics Decoder , CGD-333.

I have been trying to get a copy of the manual so I could understand the wiring connection for graphics display. A friend gave me all of the components, including the Controller, Audio Disk Loader, Amp, rack mounted mixing board, rack light bar, VHS deck, Cassette Deck, Stage speakers, stage lights and it's controller. All of the gear is rack mounted.

I'm having a hard time running ithe gear. It looks like it is hooked up correctly, but the disk loader will get the correct CD start to play it (no sound) then return the disk back after about 20 sec. I am missing the monitor. I thik it needs to see all of the components before it works correctly........my guess.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. The components are 1983 vintage. It is a Propfessional set-up that was used in clubs. The owner had three of these.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jazzman 8)

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Welcome to the forum Jazzman! It sounds like you are working with some antiques. The phrase "Edit-A-Vision" appeared on the original DK Karaoke discs that were produced in the early 90's. The company has long since ceased to exist. I would imagine the decoder is actually a CDG-333 as opposed to CGD-333.

I have no experience with the decoder but I would suppose it outputs a composite video signal just like a typical karaoke disc player. Back in day when this system would have been in use televisions did not come with composite video inputs. In fact, most only had a coaxial cable connection. The common setup was to connect the composite video out of the player to an RF modulator that converted the signal to VHF and had a coaxial output.

This is where I figure the VHF deck you speak of comes into play. I'm guessing that it has connections for composite video input (a single RCA receptacle) and a coaxial output.

The reason the player keeps ejecting the disc is because it is unable to read it properly. This could be caused by a damaged or dirty disc. Worst case would be that the laser eye of the player is bad. I have had a couple of players that acted this way and it turned out to be a bad laser eye that would have cost more to fix than the machine was worth. I'm pretty sure that not having all the components connected is not causing this.

Good luck finding a manual for this system. I'm sure someone somewhere has one.
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

Thanks Wiseguy. Your right it is a CDG unit.

You know I was suspecting that, after I cleaned the discs, reactivated it and no luck with it last night. I felt the same as you do and think it is the laser eye. The unit goes into a search mode trying to read the disc, and then times out in 20 seconds(per the manual that I have for that one). I have a feeling that it is a dead piece of equipment. Who would be able to fix such a thing? And how much do you think it cost?

To be honest, I should part out the system if I could. There is a lot of gear that was handed over to me. I have a music studio and would have no problem using them or selling them. The other components are in good shape. You are also correct in the coaxial cable connection. It looked like the owner used these connections for TV, and VCR as well.

It is a shame though, The owner had three of these units for three clubs that he had.

Thanks again for the help. Oh Well!

Jazzman 8)
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

Well .......believe this one........So I'm taking the loader out of the rack case and I was going to start taking things apart thinking that the laser is bad and it would be too expensive to fix. Was just about ready to give up when I noticed a small screw and a slider plastic plate that shows an arrow up on it on the side of the loader. Well I get a screw driver, loosen the screw, slide the plastic slider up, tighten up the screw. Thinking to myself that there are a lot of locking devices on the unit, I'm thinking .....one last time. So I plug in all of the control cords again, power up the unit, put three discs in the unit, call up one of the cd's and the damn thing starts to play!!!!!!!!! What the............ Excited that nothing is wrong with the unit, I started to tear everything apart to do a deep clean of all of the gear. Then I will put it all back together, and puzzle over what I want to do with the large set-up. I don't want to run the gear myself. I just could not believe that the copy of the O&M manual that I was able to get did not show any of this. I think I only got a part of the manual, that's why.

What kind of options do I have? I only have 45 discs in the system? Do you think someone would buy a system like this?? All of the gear is in two rack cases, the bottom one rolls arround. When put together it stands 6 feet tall.

Jazzman 8)
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

That original disc set has 99 discs. So you only have half a set. Roughly 675 songs. There is always the possibility someone will buy it.

You have to remember there are no songs on that set newer than 1990.
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

Yeah your right, the loader only takes 60 CDs though. All is cleand up rewired and changed out cables. My next task is the can lighting and the controllers for the lighting.

The speakers are Sonic stage speakers. They can be placed on a stands or set on the floor, or on the floor on an angle to the band/singer, if you want to use it that way.

The system works fine now...........

Jazzman 8)