How to connect monitor / TV to laptop / karaoke software?

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Leikindawg

How to connect monitor / TV to laptop / karaoke software?

Post by Leikindawg »

I am slowly trying to learn everything that needs to be done to run karaoke at a bar / home theatre setting. I was wondering what needs to be done to get the karaoke video to play on a seperate monitor. My first guess would be to connect hdmi on computer to hdmi port on tv / monitor, but then I assume the audience would see the entire laptop display. I assume something needs to be done like getting a vga cable and conencting it to a video converter or something, but just not sure. Any info would help, thanks!!!

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

First of all your laptop has to have the extended desktop feature (most do). With karaoke hosting software, this allows you to display the workstation on the laptop while displaying the karaoke on a separate TV or monitor.

Personally, I like converting the video signal to VHF and then use regular coaxial cable to connect to virtually any TV. All my laptops have s-video out which I run through an RF modulator (about $30 in any electronics store) to convert the signal. There are other converters that will convert VGA or HDMI to VHF. I'm sure someone here can make a recommendation.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Leikindawg

Post by Leikindawg »

Ok Im gonna look in to that I really appreciate it. Can you potentially hook up two seperate tv's/ monitors do that modulator or do you need a splitter or something also.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

That's another advantage of going with VHF. You can use a standard coaxial splitter available about anywhere.
Leikindawg

Post by Leikindawg »

My issue with that is that I dont have an svideo out on my laptop. Was considering using hdmi with an hdmi splitter. I feel like that would work though it is expensive.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The thing is that some bars will want you to plug into their TV's which would typically require you to patch into a coaxial junction. With HDMI you are limited to connecting only to TV's with an HDMI connection. I think what Bigdog does is to use two converters. One to convert VGA to s-video and an RF modulator to convert the s-video to VHF.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Does your laptop ONLY have an HDMI connection or does it have a standard VGA connector, as well?

What is the make and model of your laptop?

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I've never seen a laptop that didn't have VGA out.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Wiseguy,
apparently, it's becoming quite common in the "race" for the "Mine is the thinnest" stakes.

The HDMI connector is quite a bit thinner than the 15 pin high density VGA socket so can make a fair saving on thickness if done away with.

I only ask because I use a pretty cheap VGA to "S" and Composite convertor that is now commonplace at about $20.

However, I haven't seen an HDMI to TV convertor, although I assume there must be such.

Pretty much all modern TV's have both S and Composite connections, so makes life very easy.

Your UHF modulator is a good idea but I would imagine it'll become more and more unuseable as digital TV takes over. (I assume it's an analogue modulator?)

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I don't know about an HDMI to TV converter but there are cheap HDMI to VGA adapter cables available.

Every place where I have had to tap into the system to feed multiple televisions the hub (usually supplied by the cable company) has always been coaxial VHF. Even if all the TV's are HD. I don't see this changing in the immediate future.

The point I'm making is that the smartest move at this time is to end up with VHF coaxial regardless of how many adapter cables and/or converters it takes.
crazyface

Post by crazyface »

The HDMI to VGA Cables won't work. As it's something to do with the way the cable deals with the signal. HDMI cables suck all the sound though them as well as the video, so that you cannot put the sound through your amp and speakers. I thinks it's VGA to VGA, but I've had a problem with this as my speakers are buzzing when I connect the vga up to the TV.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

So now I guess I can assume that your laptop does NOT have a VGA connection. This HDMI to VGA and Audio Converter might do the trick.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Here are a couple of convertors available on Ebay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HDMI-to ... 4abb052022

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HDMI-1- ... 3f19d1b09b

I'm pretty sure you'll get the same items on Ebay (USA)

Sandy.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

crazyface wrote:The HDMI to VGA Cables won't work. As it's something to do with the way the cable deals with the signal. HDMI cables suck all the sound though them as well as the video, so that you cannot put the sound through your amp and speakers. I thinks it's VGA to VGA, but I've had a problem with this as my speakers are buzzing when I connect the vga up to the TV.
If you use the HDMI you can stop it selecting the sound through that from the playback devises settings.
If you are using Windows 7 right click the speaker icon on the taskbar and select playback device. (alternately go to control panel sound) make sure playback tab is selected, right click in the dialog and make sure both boxes are ticked for "Show disabled devices & Show Disconected devices" Then right click on HDMI output then select disable, this only disables the sound not the video. then right click on speakers and select set as default unless it is already selected as that, press apply and OK. You will now be able to have your video through the HDMI and the sound from the headphone socket plugged into your amp or mixer.
Leikindawg

Post by Leikindawg »

Wow this post blew up didnt even see that. Thanks so much everyone for the insight.

@mnementh It does have a VGA out, not an s-video out.

My computer is a dell inspiron 1564 with windows 7. I think HDMI with an HDMI splitter would work great as most bars now adays have nice TVs. But it might be wise to have a backup plan, like VGA to S-video.
@ mr.dj Are you sure that HDMI wont work? I dont have my sound system yet but was playing around with my trial version of MTU Hoster and connected to an external display (big flatscreen TV in my house) and I got video on the screen and sound coming out my computer