connection cables from laptop to power amp

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
intrudermcm

connection cables from laptop to power amp

Post by intrudermcm »

Hi All I am new to this kind of tech and I don't have a clue what to get to hook my laptop to my power amp along with all the rest of the things you have to install and connect. any help will be great. I only do Karaoke for personal use and for just plain fun but I have read some of the post about this but its hard to understand somtimes, I know I sound lost but thats why I need all the help I can get. Thanks a bunch for any and all help

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What kind of power amp? Name and model number.

Do you have microphones and other things to connect too?
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I assume your amp comes with a user manual?

The first step would be to have a look through that, as they usually have basic configuration set ups in them.

However, the laptop connection is unlikely to be in there and you really just need to identify which amp input connectors you want to use with the laptop as a source.

Most amps will have any or all of the following input types;

1) RCA phono sockets (think standard audio equipment cables)

2) 1/4" jack sockets (think guitar connecting cables or microphones)

3) XLR sockets (think professional audio and many wired microphones)

Of these, by far and away the easiest tp connect a laptop with is option 1), the RCA phono inputs.

You'll need to get a stereo 3.5mm jack to twin RCA phono plug cable of suitable length.

These are readily available on Ebay at a couple of Dollars. The other two options, not so easy to source.

A word of caution, by the way, prior to connecting your laptop.

DO REMEMBER to go into the audio setup of the laptop and turn off the standard Windows audio option or you'll have all the annoying bings and beeps of the laptop blaring through your speakers while the PC boots up and opens programs, etc.

Please note that this will NOT affect any music source from your laptop, e.g. Winamp, Karaoke player, etc.

Have fun,
Sandy
intrudermcm

Post by intrudermcm »

I have a 12 channell Trainer power amp w/mixer and it has both types of connectors, like the 1/4 and 3 prong like for hi impedince and low. My mics are 1/4 jack types and I have cordless ones as well w/ 1/4 jacks. My amp is an old one I used to use with our band a long long time ago, I'm of the grand old age of baby boomers, so the power amp is old but still good.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

O.K. Still not really enough info, Re. model of amp but enough to get by.

Assuming you DON'T have phono sockets, then you need some means of converting the 3.5mm audio output from the laptop to either 1/4" jack or 3 pin XLR and IMHO the XLR's are too much hastle and too difficult to find.

Have a look here;

3.5mm to twin 14" jack sockets

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack ... 3ca3ed90c1

You can plug this into your laptop audio out and simply use ordinary 1/4" jack to jack cables to connect to your amp.

However, this will leave a fairly large and easily bumped against means of damaging your audio out connector on the laptop's motherboard and consequently big bucks for a repair.

OR;

3.5mm to RCA cable

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack ... 4ce33c8975

Note that these are easily obtainable up to 10m+

Then 2 of these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phono-Socket-to-1 ... 3ca1ebba59

Please note these are on the UK version of Ebay.

Alternatively, if you know someone that's handy with a soldering bolt, then simply get a 3.5mm jack plug and wire it to a pair of 1/4" jack plugs.

Have fun,
Sandy
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

to add to what Sandy posted: the soundcards built into laptops are not always that great. I use a usb soundcard that eliminates a humm that I was getting out of the laptop into my mixer. instead of the 3.5 to RCA I use an RCA cable (such as you would for a CD+G or player).
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Radio Shack has the headphone to RCA wire. They may have headphone to 1/4". I use an RCA to RCA connector and run RCA to 1/4" to the mixer.
intrudermcm

Post by intrudermcm »

Thanks Sandy,Dan,Bigdog I'll get the cords and sound card as ya'll have suggested and give it a shot . Again thank a bunch for the advise, it nice to be able to ask and get this kind of help when you don't know how and what to do. Larry