Newb overwhelmed with software options

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.

Karma or Compuhost?? And please feel free to say why you think so.

20%
Compuhost
60%
Siglos Professional
20%

Total votes: 5

How to Build a Home Karaoke System
teester

Newb overwhelmed with software options

Post by teester »

I'm trying to select a software for my home use with having friends over. I'd like to have a KJ quality software to keep up with several singers and their history maybe? but really would like one that I don't need to take a course on how to use it!

I've read your suggestions on various threads and have narrowed it down (I think) to Karma and Compuhost but I thought there would be more input with a poll so here goes... Oh and my niece recommends Siglos, she uses it in her shows so that's an option also.

Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I haven't used any of the software you mentioned. I use JustKaraoke from Tricerasoft. At $25 you can't beat it. It keeps singer rotation and history and is VERY easy to use.

Just my two cents.
Sabrina the Cat
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I vote JustKaraoke also. There is no easier to use software and it has all the features you will need.
soundtech

Post by soundtech »

i vote compuhost its the best out there just my two cents
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Tricerasoft Trikaraoke;

FOR; Free, Simple, Reads ZIP files directly.
Against; Poor search, User unfriendly, no "full screen" option, 2nd monitor requires manual positioning.

Sax & Dotty;

FOR; Reasonable price, Easy song database.
Against; Tied to one PC ONLY, Needs Winamp + Plugins, no "full screen" option, 2nd monitor requires manual positioning.

JustKaraoke:

FOR; Great price, Reads ZIP files directly, Singer history, User definable buttons.
Against; Poor background music handling, Rotation handling awkward, No "full screen" option, 2nd monitor requires manual positioning.

Karma;

FOR; Reads ZIP files directly, Singer history, User definable buttons, Excellent rotation handling, Automatic "full screen", Automatic 2nd screen operation.
Against, Cost, CPU intensive.

Compuhost;
Haven't tried it so other than that it's damned expensive, can't comment.

I've made my point more than once on this but for cost, it's JustKaraoke but for overall performance and usability versus cost, it HAS to be Karma.

Sandy
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

For home use I definitely vote for JustKAraoke if you want rotation features. While Compuhost, Karma and Siglos Professional are good programs, they are overkill for home parties. OUt of the four only Compuhost has a decent fill player. Ihave never noticed having to adjust the second screen or move it when the second screen was present.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I noticed nobody voted for Siglos. Is it because the interface is so darn ugly? At least that is the reason I didn't vote for it. The biggest benefit of Siglos is that it will play outside discs. Out of the ones mentioned it is the only one mentioned.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:I noticed nobody voted for Siglos. Is it because the interface is so darn ugly? At least that is the reason I didn't vote for it. The biggest benefit of Siglos is that it will play outside discs. Out of the ones mentioned it is the only one mentioned.
I should have included Siglos in my summary above.

I have tried it and it is utter rubbish.

All over the place with multiple windows and about as user friendly as a sharp stick in the eyeball.

Even if it was free, I wouldbn't touch it with a bargepole and coming from a Scotsman, that's some statement... :lol: 8)

sandy
teester

Post by teester »

Re Siglos, Sandy I tried the free download and didn't like it either. I had some CDG's I had ripped using Mediaplayer but it wouldn't play them, probably because I don't know what I'm doing as far as ripping CDG's! Also one of the many screens kept popping up while I was doing other things which was very annoying.

As DanG said, the interface wasn't appealing eihter. Looked rather cheap but that could be a plus for simplicity I suppose.

Re Karma, they were helpful when I corresponded with them and the interface was really nice looking to my untrained eye FWIW.

Compuhost seems to be the most complete system I've looked at with the filler music app built in. One would think that all of software vendors would at least offer the option to order it with the player, ripper and whatever else you may need software wise to have a complete system. That would make it more appealing to the novice like myself. I would rather buy something ready to go out of the box without having to decide on a ripper etc to make it work.

Thanks for your input! Now I need to decide on a ripper...
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

If you go with Compuhost it comes with a ripper in the setup program. It is one of the better rippers out there as it works with most drives. The only ripper better than it is PowerKaraoke's CD+G Burner. The only thing you need to add is Fast Tracks Basic. You then take a csv file from Compuhost and import it into fasttracks. The ripper will use Fast Tracks to name the files and add your songs directly into Compuhost's Database for you. It will also take out the lead vocals of a Multiplex song so you don't have to remember that the song about to play needs to be devocalized.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

teester wrote:Re Karma, they were helpful when I corresponded with them and the interface was really nice looking to my untrained eye FWIW.

Compuhost seems to be the most complete system I've looked at with the filler music app built in. One would think that all of software vendors would at least offer the option to order it with the player, ripper and whatever else you may need software wise to have a complete system.

Thanks for your input! Now I need to decide on a ripper...
Hi Teester,
not quite sure what you mean by "filler music app built in" but Karma does indeed have the option to play "filler" tracks.

When you populate the search database, you have the option to select "Karaoke" or "DJ", or indeed a user selectable name.

Near the top of the left "pane" of Karma, you will see a small arrow. Clicking on this arrow will show the various database options you have generated and switch between them.

For "filler" tracks, simply drag your selection across to the playlist and the "Autoplay" (AP) checkbox will automatically tick itself and the track will autostart after the song before it finishes. Easy Peasy!

Sandy
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

What he might be meaning is that he has chosen music ahead of time, which is what I do, to be ready should there not being any singers without bumping out singers. Only Compuhost, Siglos, RoxBox and JustKAraoke have this as far as I know. The rest you have to pick as you go.
teester

Post by teester »

Didn't know Karma could play filler music but had read that Compuhost did. And thanks DanG for your comment about the ripping ability of Compuhost. I was leaning in that direction but didn't know it was built in.

Sandy my comment about the filler music app "being built in" was referring to the main karaoke software having the ability to do certain things like ripping CDG's and playing filler music versus having to buy/use other programs to do the same. It's sort of like buying a car. I want the radio and air conditioning already installed so I just start it up and drive!

Karma said it had no plans to add a ripper since there were so many available. I just felt better buying a program with everything I need already installed. Another note about Karma, their web site doesn't have a features page like Compuhost that I saw detailing all it's features etc.

Anyway, I just ordered Compuhost and can't wait to get started!!! :D
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Just to be clear. While CDGrip comes with Compuhost, It isn't actually part of the program itself. It has the ability to add the info from ripping(name and location of files) to the database of Compuhost. It has two ways of naming, one is to work with their Fast Tracks songbook creator program and the other is an online database called CDDB. I prefer the Fast Tracks database over CDDB.
mikey

Post by mikey »

First off, I am NOT affiliated with any software vendor. Just a KJ that has tried all of them, with Compuhost being the only exception).

The sleeper KJ software would have to be AutoKDJ. Program runs inside Winamp as a series of plugins, and is entirely FREE. But don't confuse free for poor quality. It has all the features of the best KJ software out there, and then some. AutoKDJ uses the power of Winamp's library to make song searches very fast. Filler music happens automatically, find songs quickly with search as you type, has an AWESOME networked kiosk program (called AutoKFE) that auto-populates singers into the queue of the host machine (the base program runs without the kiosk as well if that's your setup), manages rotation flawlessly (and if you don't like how it manages rotation, you can adjust that as well).

http://www.autokdj.com

Download it and try it out. You got nothing to lose since it's free. Uninstalls easily if you don't like it. Post back here and I'll answer any questions about the program.

Karma is good as well, but they don't have a kiosk solution.

mikey