VOICE CANCELLATION

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
neorican

VOICE CANCELLATION

Post by neorican »

It seems that there are some sites , one of which is listed below that provides Voice cancellation----
Is this good for just personal home use ? If it removes vocals from your cd's as indicated , is there some way that graphics gets inserted' or is it that you must know the song by heart and essentially just sub your voice in place--

Sure would appreciate some info on this--

http://www.make-your-own-karaoke.com/ka ... awodoFwTHw

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ralph

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Vocal elimination has been around a long time. It was on many disc players call one touch. On some songs it worked perfectly. On 99% it removed so much of the music it wasn't worth it to even play them.

These things used to work on removing the frequencies that most vocals used. But many times the instrumentation was on those same frequencies. I don't know if this one does it the same way.

I'm guessing that it is just for making a musical track. No words and word sweeps will be there. It's a whole different process. It's not as easy as you would think or none of us would be buying discs.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

As Bigdog has said above, some vocal removers are better than others.

The standard assumption is that while the background music is stereo and has different components going to left and right channels, vocals tend to be centered "on stage" and equal signals go to left & right channels.

Most vocal removers simply take the signal through a circuit that subtracts left from right, or vica versa.

As the vocals to L & R are identical, subtracting one from the other "removes" the vocal but as the backing music signals are different, in theory, they are largely unaffected.

Unfortunately, this simplistic method can result in some peculiar effects on the audio and vocals tend NOT to be reliably diminished to inaudability.

Sandy
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

There is no such animal as a vocal eliminator. Just Vocal reducers that reduce the volume of the vocals and the music instrumentation that falls within the frequencies of the vocals. Not worth buying in my opinion.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It eliminated the frequencies the vocals were on. Not reduced. That's why half the music disappeared.
teester

Post by teester »

Well that sucks! What can you do when you want to sing something that isn't out yet???
neorican

Post by neorican »

If You're not a professional and you are just doing fun type home type karaoke, I think that it's pretty good.

It gives you a nice feel in that the background is the real band --- Yes , you do get some vocals coming through in spots , but it's not bad, and if you are recording yourself , Ya kind of can't hear the remaining vocals --

And of course , its great if you cant get the CDG music at a reasonable price.

Thanks,,,,,,ralph
teester

Post by teester »

So is there nothing reasonably priced to do a pretty good job? I purchased Compuhost and was hoping it would do it but it wasn't a necessity.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What is needed is a "One Touch" karaoke song creating software that would do all the required steps automatically. Load a song, hit the convert button and the finished karaoke version is created in a zipped MP3 format.

The person that developes that will make millions. :shock: :D

Every song available instantly converted to a karaoke version with the push of a button.

How many years will it take?
teester

Post by teester »

Bigdog if YOU can listen to the music and hear the vocals then it should be possible for software to be able to remove it. A likely candidate may be noise canceling technology used in headphones.

Someone will eventually do it I'm confident but someone with the ability to do it will just have to take on the task. Lots of things are doable but won't be until someone attempts it, likely with a few failures ie Edison and his electric lamp. Think of Ted Turners colorized B&W film. I would imagine that was a herculean task compared to voice removal!

Once it's invented it will be duplicated and become cheap like most everything else is.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It can be real simple.

Let's say the original recording was done with 8 tracks.

Lead guitar would be on one.

Rhythm guitar on track 2.

Lead vocals would be on a track and so on.

If CDs were sold so you could hear and control the individual tracks then you could just turn down the volume of the lead vocals and you could then sing along.

Since CDs are sold with the mix consolidated and blended into stereo you can only do right and left pan. If you had the original 8track recording on the CD it wouldn't be a problem.

You can use programs to make your own karaoke songs but it is a very time consuming process.

My suggestion would be to have a sofisticated program to do all the needed steps automatically. Just put in the disc, hit the convert button and a karaoke CD+G would come out. With music and word sweeps and no lead singer.
karaokeeasy

Post by karaokeeasy »

You can try using this online voice removal website
http://www.vocalremover.net

:D
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

karaokeeasy wrote:You can try using this online voice removal website
http://www.vocalremover.net

:D
Doing exactly what I said in Post #3 above 8)

Sandy
Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958

Song not out yet? No problem!

Post by Billy Bob Joe Bob 1958 »

teester wrote:Well that sucks! What can you do when you want to sing something that isn't out yet???
I run from a laptop.

If someone requests a song I don't have, I quickly go to tricerasoft.com and see if it's there. If it is? I buy it, download it, load it and play it. (Takes five minutes.)

If it isn't there, I ask the singer if they know the song well enough to sing WITHOUT lyrics. If so? I check to see if it's on Playlist.com, then I just load and play the track. (It's really great for new music and obscure stuff.)

Question...other than Tricerasoft, does anyone know of any GOOD places to buy songs online?