Salvage operation

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Wayne

Salvage operation

Post by Wayne »

The bar I'm working with began with a system that was put together by former KJs, who helped the owner get a system for in-house karaoke. The system they built for him was identical to theirs.

It was designed to be portable. There was no case for the components. This required the system to be totally set up and broken down each night there was karaoke entertainment.

The system included a 50+1 disc jukebox for background music, a JVC triple-tray DVD-CD-G-VCD player, a small head (designed for up to 6 mics and 2 outputs), a pair of Yamaha speakers, and a 13" tv-monitor for the stage.

Over time, and because of constant abuse, the system has deteriorated until it is almost entirely unusable. The current KJ uses the head for an amp, the JVC for background (the trays are intermittent now), and has a laptop karaoke system that she bought. The bar's library of discs is mostly gone.

The owner owns another bar, a small club. He purchased a system for that club, that was used for about 3 months, 1-night a week. It has sat in a corner for almost a year. I'm not certain that everything that was included in that system is there, but it looks like most of it is. There was a laptop that went with it, but that has disappeared.

I want to see if I can use elements of the second system, elements remaining of the first system (the speakers and tv-hookup, mostly, since the speakers are mounted on the wall, and the tv's are also wall-mounted with a cable system tying them together), and add what is necessary to make it a fully functional digital system. Below I will describe the components that exist, and I will be asking questions concerning their necessity, and concerning what must be added.

To give an idea of where I want to go with the design of this system, I would like to be able to use the bar's internet connection and website as a way to "broadcast" the show live, online. I know web cam(s) are necessary. What I am not sure of is what other hardware may be necessary to make it all functional. I also would like to know more about the legal aspects of such a broadcast, if any of you has knowledge that pertains to it. This is, of course, for reference. The owner may decide he doesn't want the streaming web video.

OK. On to the components. The system is contained in a Odyssey carpeted case. The case should have had a front and rear cover, but they are missing. There are 2 versions of this case I found online. One is CXP110W, and the other one is CXP112W. I am not sure how to identify which one it is, and with the equipment in it, I don't want to turn it upside down to see if it's on the bottom.

Contained in the top of the case is a Mackie 1402-VLZ3 mixer and the controls portion of the VoCoPro CDG-9000-Pro Professional CD / CD + Graphic Player system.

Below that, from the top of the case, are a Odessy Work Light 3000 unit, the drives unit of the VoCoPro CDG-9000-Pro player, a Zoom RFX-1100 Digital Reverb & Multi-Effects unit, and at the bottom of the case is a VoCoPro VP-600Pro amplifier.

The patch cords look like they have all been replaced with old cables. I *think* the sound guy at the other club probably took the new cables to use in his sound system (for live bands). I'm not certain of the condition of the cables that are there.

If there were any speakers with the system, they are not here. The Yamaha speakers from the old system still work, though the output seems to be uneven. I'm not sure if that's a fault in the old head or not.

My first question is, since I am not familiar with different karaoke systems, does the above description of the VoCoPro system sound like everything that should be there, other than the laptop? There were only 3 cables not plugged into anything. Two were the video outputs from the player. The third was a stereo audio cable that went from the 2 separate quarter-inch plugs in the mixer to a eighth-inch stereo plug. I assume this is the input cable from the laptop. There is a A-B switch that isn't mounted and contains multiple rca inputs on the back. I think this was used for the video outputs from the player.

I think I have made this post long enough. I will continue in a different post, after seeing what responses I get from this one.

Wayne

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Sounds like the bar owner could care less about the equipment. Who is going to watch it when you aren't there? I wouldn't put any of my money in that system.

Everything needs to be put under lock and key.

The only good news I heard was about the mixer and effects unit.

The player can be used as a secondary unit to play other peoples discs.

The speakers need checked to seee if they are both working correctly. You will probably need all new wiring.

The biggest problem is lack of music. If you use a computer, without the original discs as proof of ownership, you're illegal

Streaming the show would be illegal without the proper permisson from the song owners.

You have a lot of work ahead of you. Not counting a lot of money.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I wonder if 7Bamboo has the permission of the song owners for their webcast or Karaoke King for that matter? I know they webcast their stream.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Bigdog wrote:Sounds like the bar owner could care less about the equipment. Who is going to watch it when you aren't there? I wouldn't put any of my money in that system.
I could get into a long, involved discussion about this. Maybe later we can discuss these things in depth. For now, suffice it to say that the owner, like most every business owner I have ever known, delegates responsibility to those employed by them for that purpose. If they do not uphold that responsibility, then they are eventually replaced. This owner will keep someone much longer than they should be kept, just because he can't find someone else who wants the job. There are many reasons why someone would not want this job, and I will not go into that here.
Bigdog wrote:Everything needs to be put under lock and key.
Everything is under lock and key when it is not in use. It has never been about "others". It's always been about those whose job it is to use and maintain the system. They have access to the key, and they are the ones who are most responsible for the condition of the equipment. I am not trying to absolve the owner of anything. I am also not seeking to absolve the so-called KJs this place has had since he took the karaoke in-house.
Bigdog wrote:The only good news I heard was about the mixer and effects unit.

The player can be used as a secondary unit to play other peoples discs.

The speakers need checked to seee if they are both working correctly. You will probably need all new wiring.
The speakers are old, and one of them has been repaired (woofer replacement). The cables have been replaced multiple times. I would like to replace the cabled speaker system with a wireless/bluetooth speaker system. Then there would be no cables to break, and no reason to ever touch a speaker, mounted on the wall, unless there was an obvious problem with the output that is not related to the system.
Bigdog wrote:The biggest problem is lack of music. If you use a computer, without the original discs as proof of ownership, you're illegal
As far as the original library is concerned, all discs were originals. I couldn't even get the KJs back then to make backups and use them so the originals would stay intact. Additionally, some of the KJs that have been here have brought in discs that were burned copies of burned discs they had already. Some of the bar's original discs disappeared. Some were copied and the original just disappeared. The current KJ has copied all of the remaining library, including new discs that were purchased, onto the hard disc in her laptop. I also understand that another KJ friend of hers, who helped her get setup, copied his library (not sure if in part or in whole) onto her laptop. I have no idea what the legal standing is now for the bar's library, and I'm sure she considers everything on her laptop as "hers", whether she has a ligitimate claim or not.

Speaking of legitimacy, given that I can now purchase a unit that contains hundreds, or thousands, of titles, and that unit does not (as far as I know) ship with a set of discs to prove legitimacy, the lack of original discs cannot be the only way to prove it. I would think the company selling the unit with that library would have to include some form of legal document that lists the titles included, and whatever other information is necessary to determine the legitimate use.
Bigdog wrote:Streaming the show would be illegal without the proper permisson from the song owners.
I really need to get more information on this.
Bigdog wrote:You have a lot of work ahead of you. Not counting a lot of money.
I knew that going in. The money is secondary, because I am trying to help build a new system without having to buy everything new all over again.

Wayne
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Given my experience with bar owners ..they are all jerks.

I'm not crazy about the idea of any "employee" having access to the equipment. Most KJs don't have a clue about anything. That includes the dishwasher and toilet scrubber.

If a wall mounted speaker is damaged...that tells me the system was way over driven powerwise by someone.

After you do all the work it sounds like you won't even be guarenteed the job. And what's to prevent the same abuse from happening again. I would get lost quickly. Unless you are getting paid for your time.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Bigdog wrote:Given my experience with bar owners ..they are all jerks.
No disagreement here.
Bigdog wrote:I'm not crazy about the idea of any "employee" having access to the equipment. Most KJs don't have a clue about anything. That includes the dishwasher and toilet scrubber.
If the system is being run by professionals, then there should not be an employee having access. When the KJ is not a professional, and is an employee, there's not much you can do about it.
Bigdog wrote:If a wall mounted speaker is damaged...that tells me the system was way over driven powerwise by someone.
I know this is true, and I have witnessed it here. I have repeatedly told the owner over the years about the abuses. What, if anything, he tries to do about it, I have never known. There has never been any outward action, or reaction by the KJ, that showed me that anything was done.
Bigdog wrote:After you do all the work it sounds like you won't even be guarenteed the job. And what's to prevent the same abuse from happening again. I would get lost quickly. Unless you are getting paid for your time.
Fortunately for me, getting the job is not an issue. First, the owner does want to replace the current KJ. I believe that I would get the job if I asked him, just because of that. In addition, there is me. I have debated repeatedly with myself about whether or not I really want the issues that will come with this place. I need the money, but money is the reason he can't find someone. Nobody wants to accept what he wants to pay, and he believes he should be able to pay less because he owns the equipment.

I don't disagree, entirely, but I do know that you get what you pay for. I'm just not convinced that he has realized this yet.

My compensation for helping him rebuild his system is adequate. Whether or not I take (if offered), or ask for (if I decide I want to), the KJ position here will depend on how willing he is to make the system right, and how badly he wants to replace the current KJ.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

So, back on the topic of hardware. I have been looking at laptop systems, and also at other alternatives. In particular, I've been checking out the CAVS JB 199 II DJ Karaoke and Disc Computer System on CheapKaraoke.com. I like the fact that it is expandable. The 250 Gig HD default drive is more than adequate for what the system needs.

I also like the fact that I can attach a keyboard, mouse and monitor, effectively making it a computer, and removing the need for a separate laptop. What I would like to know is, has anyone had experience with this unit, and are there any issues or problems with it that I should be aware of?