Virtual DJ Studio

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
vbevans

Virtual DJ Studio

Post by vbevans »

Hi all,
New to the forum. I've been using Virtual DJ Studio for a couple of years. Love the interface, but it's got a couple of bugs in it when playing zipped files. The company pres/developer was quick to answer my questions when I was kicking tires, but after I bought and discovered the bugs I can't get a response for assistance. Any of you have experience with this program or the "gentleman" who developed it? Thanks.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Most problems have something to do with a conflict between the OS or the hardware. Has it been a problem from installation or did it pop up from nowhere?
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
mnementh

Re: Virtual DJ Studio

Post by mnementh »

vbevans wrote:Hi all,
New to the forum. I've been using Virtual DJ Studio for a couple of years. Love the interface, but it's got a couple of bugs in it when playing zipped files. The company pres/developer was quick to answer my questions when I was kicking tires, but after I bought and discovered the bugs I can't get a response for assistance. Any of you have experience with this program or the "gentleman" who developed it? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

Given your post, the first and very obvious question is;

do you really need to use zipped files? :wink:

If the problem you are having is ONLY with ZIP files, then unzipping 'em is the easy cure.

I know it doesn't solve your specific query but I'm a great beliver in simple solutions to simple questions. 8)

You'll only need about 30% more space on your drive for the unzipped versions of your files.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My program Sax & Dottys has been working fine for months and all of a sudden it does goofy stuff. Like mid show the program stopped seeing one of my hard drives. I didn't do anything different. But something happened.

I don't think there is any program or computer that will work perfectly all the time. My computer never sees the internet. That's keeping incidents low. But nothing is 100%. I don't know if it was a program problem or a hard drive problem. Every peice of software and hardware has it's own querks. They all have to work flawlessly. That ain't gonna happen.

But there are also problems with hardware and software that only causes fluke problems whenever everything lines up just right. I'm not saying there isn't a programming problem but lots of stuff like an electrical glitch like a spike or drop that aren't noticable to the naked eye can do things.

I have a problem on startup once in a while with Vista not seeing my external hard drives. I have to shut the hard drives off and on and restart the computer and it sees them. Not everytime just once in a while.

I have a reverb unit the from time to time stops working because of a small spike or drop in current. It will stop mid show every once in a while. There is no indication that anything happened except the reverb isn't in the mix. The lights are all on and they didn't flash or flicker. The only fix is to power the unit off and on.

Does you problem fix itself if you reboot? Or restart the program?
vbevans

Post by vbevans »

Bigdog wrote:Most problems have something to do with a conflict between the OS or the hardware. Has it been a problem from installation or did it pop up from nowhere?
Unfortunately, the problem has existed from the start. The songs that exhibit the problem can be played just fine by running them unzipped, so I can work around the problem. It would be nice, however, to get the support I paid for when I bought the program, else why not just use an illegal copy. I was just hoping some of you might know or know of the guy. Thanks.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:My program Sax & Dottys has been working fine for months and all of a sudden it does goofy stuff. Like mid show the program stopped seeing one of my hard drives. I didn't do anything different. But something happened.
Is the drive a USB external?

If so, it might be that you have plugged the drive in out of order, or unplugged/plugged in another USB device. This would immediately shuffle your drive letters.

The PC gives the drive a letter basically first in the queue that is available.

A fellow KJ had this problem and didn't realise that he had plugged in a network dongle BEFORE he plugged in his external USB drive (he usually inserted them in the opposite order).

The result was that the drive letters were transposed and his Karaoke software database referenced the wrong letter drive.

This is actually easy to resolve as you can "lock" the drive letter to a particular drive and it will ALWAYS show as that letter.

Sandy
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

If you don't use the same USB port for an external, it will come up as a different drive letter.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My system is set up so that NOTHING is ever unplugged from the computer. I can open my case and everything is done. Just start the computer and wait for it to load. So using a different USB port isn't the problem. My external drive boxes have cooling fans built in. Maybe a firmware/software issue. It doesn't do it often but but it does happen too often for my liking. The drive letter isn't changed the computer tells me it doesn't recognise the new device and it wants to know if I want it to search for the drivers.

It coud be because someone put a quarter in the dartboard that shares my power outlet. :roll:

It could be because the moon is coming up and the sun is in Capricorn and Jupiter aligns with Mars. :lol:

This is how stupid and unpredictable the problem is.

I can fix the problem by simply turning the power switch on the drive box off and on and rebooting. And it acts like nothing ever happened.

The VDJ thing sounds like a combatability problem. Or the files that won't play right aren't matched to the rest of the files because of how they were ripped or named or something really stupid. 99% of the time the simplest thing ends up being the cause.

Are you running Vista? Run the VDJ like it's in XP. You can do that. Maybe it didn't load right. Or there was a tiny glitch when you imported the songs into the database. Clear them and reimport. Unplug the computer from the power source and redo it. There are many things to try. One of them just may be stupid enough to work.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:If you don't use the same USB port for an external, it will come up as a different drive letter.
Not strictly correct.

It doesn't matter which port you use but the order in which the USB peripherals are plugged in does.

PC's assign drive letters strictly on a "first come first assigned" basis.

It is easily possible to "force" a drive letter to a specific drive, fortunately.

Sandy