help to choose a Mixer, Wireless Microphone, and speakers

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
blodg8

help to choose a Mixer, Wireless Microphone, and speakers

Post by blodg8 »

Hi all,

I'm currently using a Denon AVR-3803 for my home entertainment and i would like to pick up a new pair of speakers for home Karaoke.

my budget for the pair of speakers are $350 or so. I was looking at the BMB CS450V. size does matter for the place i have. i'm thinking of similar size of the BMB would be good.

Next, the mixer i was looking at bmb dx3000 for both music and vocal mixer. i'm thinking of using my Denon to power the speakers (is this efficiency and enough power?)

last, the wireless microphone. Some people said to stay away from frequency 699-802 Mhz range because it will get banned soon. so, what model and brand of wireless microphone should I get. My budget for the mircophone is $250. I would like two microphone would be good. I was looking at Nissindo LX9292 or BMB (but too expensive). Any suggestion guys?

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

1st look into a powered mixer instead of the denon as it isn't meant for live vocals.
2nd and I highly reckomend these speakers as they kick butt for their size look into Podium Pro. www.onlyfactorydirect.com is where you can get them. the money you save on these will give you a budget for the mixer/amp.
3rd- I am looking into purchasing for myself a VocoPro IR-9000 and you won't have to worry about frequency. On ebay they are going for $249.99. this is a dual rechargable microphone set that is rackmountable and has separate outputs for each mike. It uses infrared technology rather than UHF or VHF.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
blodg8

Post by blodg8 »

Hey Dan, thanks for the response. One thing I was reading was that some people from other forum never heard of this Podium brand before. Is this a new company making speakers?

If i'm look into the powered mixer, how much watt should i get and which one is good? Vocpro or BMB? Any suggestion?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I use to have a vocopro da3700 pro and I was happy with it. As to the Podium Pro's they are new. They are small but powerful. I have the 8 inch speakers and they crank. The bass is amazing for the size of the cabinets. I had to turn down my system, they were that powerful. I run a 230 watts per side max amplifier and the specs on the speakers is 400 watts max @ 8 ohm. They sound a thousand times better than the speakers they replaced.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-Stag ... 1172526.gc

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=630193

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=630193

Your Denon is only 100 watts.

You are going to have issues with "live" (microphones) sound that a home theater system wasn't made to handle. Especially at 100 watts. You need head room that amplifier just doesn't have.

These mixers have the needed power and headroom. They also have all the vocal effects you will want and need built in. ECHO that comes on these so called karaoke PA systems sounds stupid.

These systems are matched to work together without blowing things up.

I use corded microphones in my house. Cheap cordless microphones turn into a waste of money. Especially when one of your drunk friends drops it and it breaks.

If you want to make your home singing experience to be a good one forget the home theater aspect. Live karaoke isn't home theater. The bigger of these 3 systems isn't much over your budget. You will be a whole lot happier in the long run. They come with everything you need to start singing as soon as it's unpacked.

The last 2 systems are bigger & better systems than 99% of the currently working KJs. FOR REAL. :shock:
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Almost forgat about the stagepass systems had a 300 version and loved it. The 500 is much better with onboard compression. It would take care of your mixer/amp and speakers needs in one fell swoop.
teester

Post by teester »

I'm getting the Peavey Impulse 1015's in Black for $459 ea. including 25' cables with a Peavey powered mixer, XR8600 600W per channel, two channels. The setup sounds pretty awesome compared to all the stuff I've listened to. Has several inputs with a 7 band Eq for each output channel.

I tried out Mackie SRM450's, the midrange sounds sounded muffled on those.

QSC K12's were pretty good but were $799 each!

I was told Behringers were cheap crap by a store that was selling them!'

As for microphone's, one guy recommended Audio Technica ATM410. It's a corded unit for about $100. Haven't tried it out yet though.

One thing for sure, if you have top amps and mixers but cheap speakers or microphones, it's not going to sound good!
teester

Post by teester »

DanG2006 wrote:Almost forgat about the stagepass systems had a 300 version and loved it. The 500 is much better with onboard compression. It would take care of your mixer/amp and speakers needs in one fell swoop.
I just read where Compuhost has a built in compressor function. Dan don't you use Compuhost? If so have you used the compressor?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

teester wrote:
DanG2006 wrote:Almost forgat about the stagepass systems had a 300 version and loved it. The 500 is much better with onboard compression. It would take care of your mixer/amp and speakers needs in one fell swoop.
I just read where Compuhost has a built in compressor function. Dan don't you use Compuhost? If so have you used the compressor?

Never heard about it but then again I quit using Compuhost when it left me behind with it's requirements. I refuse to change laptops because the software requires more video ram. Besides the software I have chosen to replace it with allows for a kiosk that drops requests from a different computer into the que.

having compression in the software of the computer doesn't help what it is intended for.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

teester wrote:I'm getting the Peavey Impulse 1015's in Black for $459 ea. including 25' cables with a Peavey powered mixer, XR8600 600W per channel, two channels. The setup sounds pretty awesome compared to all the stuff I've listened to. Has several inputs with a 7 band Eq for each output channel.

I tried out Mackie SRM450's, the midrange sounds sounded muffled on those.

QSC K12's were pretty good but were $799 each!

I was told Behringers were cheap crap by a store that was selling them!'

As for microphone's, one guy recommended Audio Technica ATM410. It's a corded unit for about $100. Haven't tried it out yet though.

One thing for sure, if you have top amps and mixers but cheap speakers or microphones, it's not going to sound good!
Plastic housing speakers have a different sound than wooden speaker boxes. Wood sounds warmer. It's why the best speakers use 13 ply plywood.

The music store owner let me take a pair of JBL Ions home to play with. I took them back the very next day. They can keep them.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

My next purchase is going to be a set of wireless Microphones to replace my Sennheiser which has a frequency inside of the banned range. Looking at the VocPro UHF-5800. was looking at the Ir-9000 but am worried about possible LOS issues. I also have a hatred towards rechargables as the last set wouldn't hold their charge for even 1 hour.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DanG2006 wrote:My next purchase is going to be a set of wireless Microphones to replace my Sennheiser which has a frequency inside of the banned range. Looking at the VocPro UHF-5800. was looking at the Ir-9000 but am worried about possible LOS issues. I also have a hatred towards rechargables as the last set wouldn't hold their charge for even 1 hour.
Spend the money to get microphones with true diversity receivers.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

do they make them in dual mikes?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The AKG WMS 40 PRO DUAL mics have been mentioned here before. These are very good quality for the price. I bought them for home use but I would not hesitate to use them at my shows.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I may just check it out.