Sax & Dottys issue.

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
Bigdog

Sax & Dottys issue.

Post by Bigdog »

I have had a problem with error messages and it's not being able to find files. Tonight I sent the computer back in time and checked all the drive letters Etc. Nothing fixed anything. :evil:

Sax & Dottys offers a Remote Assistance feature. Has anyone ever use the RA from them?

Is that the way to get my problem fixed fast? It's only a karaoke laptop so there is no personal info on the computer.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Are your files on the PC or an external drive?

A KJ friend started connecting his USB gear out of sequence and the database couldn't find his songs as the drive letter changed.

There is a method to "lock" an external drive to a specific letter, that's pretty easy to do and if you Google for it, you'll get it no problem.

Sandy
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

All my stuff stays wired up so that isn't the issue.

I think the program files got corrupted somehow.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:All my stuff stays wired up so that isn't the issue.

I think the program files got corrupted somehow.
Actually, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will always be assigned letters in the same sequence when your PC boots up.

Having said that, as long as you haven't changed any of your PC hardware, you should be able to just re-install with the same activation code that you obtained originally.

But do remember to disconnect all your USB devices before you re-install as that might amend your configuration ID.

As a quick check, copy some tracks onto your "C" drive and reset your database to there.

If all is OK with S&D, you shouldn't get any error messages.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I switched to my BACK UP laptop (if you don't have a back up computer you're in trouble) using the same hard drives. I made sure the drive letters were correct. IMPORTED THE DRIVES TO THE DATABASE AND DID KARAOKE with the back up laptop. :D

My work horse laptop is in the living room. I hope to have them remotely get into it Monday and fix the problem.

They just sent me an email after I sent them the error registry. They told me to reimport the database.

I can't get to that point. :evil: I keep getting stopped with an error message that says send us the error registry. :roll: I can only close the program with the task manager after it gets to that point. It will not allow any other functions.

I did a system restore and that didn't work. :evil:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Vista to the rescue... :shock: :? :D

Sax & Dottys support suggested to uninstall and reinstall the program. :cry:

I went to the control panel to remove the program. I right clicked on the show presenter file to delete it. 3 options popped up in the drop down.

1 uninstall
2 I can't remember now.. :oops: :roll:
3 REPAIR... :?:

:idea: I have nothing to lose so I picked repair. It didn't seem like anything happened so I restarted the computer and tried the program again. I was able to import the songs without any error messages and they play like they should. What a great feature...Thanks Bill 8)

Why didn't system restore fix the problem??? :roll: :x :?
MikoZuna

Post by MikoZuna »

system restore saves some of the current settings for 3rd party aplications. choosing the repair option essentially allowed you to rewrite the system files to S&D. thus doing a "quick reinstall" whatever had gotten lost or currupted was written back in..
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Out of the blue my computer did the same error thing again. I was searching for a song during someones song and the computer ejected the song playing and started the next on in the queue.

I had to do the repair thing again at home. I was affraid to do it at the show just incase that wasn't the real problem. I swapped computers at the show. Took close to 10 minutes to unhook and rehook and reinstall the database. I had to do it twice because I forgot to delete the database before I reinstalled it... :oops: Took a few extra minutes.

I don't have an explanation of why it started acting goofy again. I was 2 hours into the show when the error messages started to pop up. Nothing unusual happened like a power failure.

The error is in the Sax & Dottys program. Not my external hard drives. I know this because the repair takes place in Sax & Dottys and the external hard drives aren't connected to the computer now.

Really weird.

Next time I'll do the repair thing at the show...it only take seconds for the repair to take place. That would cut down on the swap time if it does it right.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:The error is in the Sax & Dottys program. Not my external hard drives. I know this because the repair takes place in Sax & Dottys and the external hard drives aren't connected to the computer now.

Next time I'll do the repair thing at the show...it only take seconds for the repair to take place. That would cut down on the swap time if it does it right.
And what will you do if the "repair" fails at the show?

I used to quite like S&D but have come to actively hate it.

It certainly sounds like a dtabase management problem, internal to the program.

Personally, I'd recommend having a second program on your PC to take over in the event of a failure of the first.

At $24, JustKaraoke would be a sensible backup, at minimal cost outlay.

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Actually, JustKaraoke is now $34.95 but still the best value in hosting software and more stable than any Winamp based application.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I always have my back up laptop with me. :wink:

As far as a different program...I don't know if it would run my converted laser video songs....
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

It depends on what video format it is in. I believe there are video formats that Justkaraoke will play.