(HELP!) What to do?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
MikoZuna

(HELP!) What to do?

Post by MikoZuna »

I recently started Hosting Karaoke shows ( about 5 weeks ago ) I come from a background both musically, as well as being a DJ for the better part of 15 years. So I know the crowd aspect, technical aspect, etc.

I find myself now in a constant uphill battle with the bar owner. The Company I work for came into this bar replacing the previous KJ who got shut down by the Sound Choice law suit. He had designed his companies shows, running 3 different nights, with 3 different kjs. and no the bar owner feels that this is the only way the show should be run. feeling he can maximize patrons, by having the different kjs getting their different groups of friends there.

This is his idea of marketing and advertising. He's provided a poster made by budweiser. that is it. NO print media, no website, not even a face book.

he demands his employees, and subsequently me, do all those things to drive his business. and of course when there is a low turn out, its ALL my fault.

I have been in the bar business a long time 20+ years, and went to him last week with some promotionial ideas, 90% of which were shot down, he did decide to move his ladies night to my thursday, but not offr anything major special wise, typical boring 2-4-1 ( clubs tha are busy in this area are doing sink or swims, or 3-4-1 within 2 miles from him )

he has no comprehention of make a little money off a lot of people concept.

every week i hear rumblings of him calling for my head to my boss, and today i heard it from another KJ who he's trying to get to leave his 5 day a week 1200$ club to come there.. hes been told numerous times that isnt happening, and by several people to trust me.. but he just will not.

how do i maintain m professionalism, when i know hes doing everything in his power to oust me? How do I get excited to be there, in order to get others pumped knowing im being plotted against?

i could use some input from some Karaoke vets..

Much Thanks,
Michael :cry:

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Do you really want to remain in such a hostile environment. To me I would rather cut my losses than remain worrying about what the bar owner wants or may want in the future. He doesn't get it. At my shows there has to be promotion or I won't even set up. That means at least an ad in the local paper on entertainment section day covering the week ahead. Posters are welcome as well. It's in my contract.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I'd walk.

This guy is a typical stupid bar owner. He has hired you to build his business but he wants to do everything in his stupid power to ruin all your efforts. It won't work and he won't change.

I'd find a job at the closet bar to him and build their business. :twisted:

If you have singers that will follow you down the street, take them and run. Give the next bar owner a deal he can't refuse with an already made crowd.

Stupid bar owners need to be taught a lesson on how to run a bar.

You will NEVER change this guy unless he learns a lesson by losing lots of money. So teach.... :twisted:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

One more thing...

He is a typical bar owner. Over time you will come to find that 99% of them are exactly the same. They do not know how to make money and they always do STUPID stuff to kill business.

I have never hesitated to walk out after they have done stupid stuff that wasn't good for either my personal safety or they were doing things that directly hurt my business reputation.

It all comes down to how you want to run your business and what you consider acceptable for you and your business.

Over the years I have walked out of many jobs. It will happen again. I don't take too much bar owner crap or stupidity. There is always another bar close by.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Miko...you have been a DJ for many years....

Have you ever encountered this stuff as a DJ?

After almost 18 years of karaoke it happens at almost every bar. I'm not kidding. I have been in probably 100 different bars and nothing changes. Some are worse than others but nothing changes as far as karaoke is concerned.
jr2423

Post by jr2423 »

Well, as I see it, these issues are not yours. They should be dealt with by the company manager/owner that you work for. That's the person you need to satisfy. The bar business is the owner's to make or break as he sees fit (regardless if they see blind to the obviousll).

Putting myself in your position, I would do what I do the best that I can and leave the rest to the company that hired me. And because I understand the frustrations involved, and as such I wouldn't let it get under my skin. These gigs usually don't pay enough for me to be concerned to any degree.

Purely philosophically speaking, I find that if I do what I do and let the others do what they do (right or wrong) and don't let the two inter mingle, I'm a pretty happy camper. If they want to replace me; So Be It. None of it is worth getting aggravated over.

So I guess it boils down to how much aggravation is worth the money you receive? And, is at least some of that aggravation self imposed?

Juts my thoughts, your mileage may differ. 8)
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
http://www.diehardkaraoke.com
[email protected]