Would You use this or would it be death to Karaoke companies

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.

Would this kill karaoke Hosting companies?

yes
25%
no
75%

Total votes: 4

DanG2006

Would You use this or would it be death to Karaoke companies

Post by DanG2006 »

Chartbuster on another forum is putting out feelers about streaming their karaoke content to individuals. I personally believe that this would take us Hosts out of the picture if this is done. What is to stop bar owners, who we know aren't that bright unless they come to the idea of saving money, buying their equipment, a desktop computer with video out, and hiring a bar employee to run the show?

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

KJs that suck are killing the business and nobody worries about that. :shock: Much more than any other thing you can point to like... piracy.

They will only attract losers anyway. Screaming drunks don't care how they sound and stupid bar owners don't know the difference.

What would it cost? What about the songs they won't have/don't have in their library?

Does that mean it would eliminate the need to have the songs on your hard drive?

Do they have permission to format shift their songs?

Are they granting you permission they don't have for public performance?

They could do it with a jukebox with a microphone attached to it.

Are they going to charge per song. Nobody pays to sing karaoke.

Too many things to worry about.

The only thing that will hurt my business is good KJs and that isn't a concern either.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
mnementh

Re: Would You use this or would it be death to Karaoke compa

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:What is to stop bar owners, who we know aren't that bright unless they come to the idea of saving money, buying their equipment, a desktop computer with video out, and hiring a bar employee to run the show?
To be honest, not a damn thing!

However, as Bigdog has said, it's one thing to put the kit together but a whole other ball game to get someone that can walk the walk in front of a crowd.

I've seen plenty of Karaoke's that have disappeared, simply because there was no "Chemistry" from the KJ.

If you can't get the crowd motivated, the best kit in the World won't make a show.

However, while this is happening, real KJ's are going to go to the wall and the dross will inherit the Earth.

Very sad!

Sandy
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:KJs that suck are killing the business and nobody worries about that. :shock: Much more than any other thing you can point to like... piracy.

They will only attract losers anyway. Screaming drunks don't care how they sound and stupid bar owners don't know the difference.

What would it cost? What about the songs they won't have/don't have in their library?

Does that mean it would eliminate the need to have the songs on your hard drive?

Do they have permission to format shift their songs?

Are they granting you permission they don't have for public performance?

They could do it with a jukebox with a microphone attached to it.

Are they going to charge per song. Nobody pays to sing karaoke.

Too many things to worry about.

The only thing that will hurt my business is good KJs and that isn't a concern either.
You don't own the songs. In fact with this plan every KJ will have access to all the top five manu's songs for a fee that is either monthly or yearly.
They are not on YOUR hard drive. But streamed to your computer via wifi or internet connection. I can just see in the middle of a song the internet connection failing. Death to a show in my opinion.
And I can also see the reaction bar owners will give when you tell them that you need internet connection to run your show.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:And I can also see the reaction bar owners will give when you tell them that you need internet connection to run your show.
Wouldn't be an issue as you can have a USB wireless network connection now, so you can have Net access anywhere.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Every night you'll have 25 hackers in the parking lot stealing the songs you paid for. Way easier than getting them from anyone else on the internet with no way to track their movements.

May as well give them your house and car keys too. Don't forget your Social Security and pin numbers.

SMARTEST WAY TO KILL THE KARAOKE SONG COMPANIES I'VE HEARD YET. THEY MUST WANT TO DIE AND BLAME US.

I BOUGHT MY MUSIC ONCE. I WILL NOT BE BLACKMAILED EITHER.

I WILL NEVER BUY IT OR RE-BUY IT AGAIN. PERIOD< END OF STORY.

I'll do all oldies karaoke shows with Pioneer music. Less hastle. No screaming drunks wanting M & M. Less chances for trouble. No extra money outlays. No need for updates. There isn't that much new music being sung at my show. Some songs are hot for a while and fade away. Unless you get the Goodbye Earl type of song that won't die. :roll:

If these companies keep it up we will all stop buying their music. Who cares!!!??? I'm starting to care less and less about their survival anyway. I won't like not being able to get some different songs, but I won't kill myself over it either. But they could be commiting suicide.

Here's my story, it's sad but true...

about some karaoke disc companies I once knew...

they sold some songs and played around...

now they collect unemployment/T.A.R.P. bailout doughhh.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:I BOUGHT MY MUSIC ONCE. I WILL NOT BE BLACKMAILED EITHER.

I WILL NEVER BUY IT OR RE-BUY IT AGAIN. PERIOD< END OF STORY.
This is exactly the attitude that everyone should have.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The streaming media idea is not going to work. Who in their right mind is going to place every show at the mercy of a quality and constant internet connection?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Think about it...you will be buying the same songs for the same jobs...week after week.

In a year how many times will you have paid for the same 100 songs????

Anyone would have to be goofy or pretty stupid. It's cheaper than my music library...but then again you won't own anything either.

KJs that want to start out cheap like all of them...can have their cheap systems and no money for nice music library. Just rent it week after week.

It would work if they use cable for the down loads, but if they use Verizon...nobody will be singing.

I bought a new Verizon phone and it took 20-30 minutes to download the initial setup/upgrade. It would have been 5 minutes if they used cable. They wasted my time.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

It won't kill the hosting companies...just the disc companies. :lol:

Hackers will still be hackers. Pirates will still be pirates. Drug smugglers will still be smuggling drugs. So what and how will anything change????
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I might be interested in "buying" downloads.

Personally though, I would still want to buy the discs to have as a backup or physical proof of ownership.

With a download, if they or you don't keep the records of every download purchase forever, you could still be screwed, legally.

I would never agree to "rent" the downloaded song for a one-time usage.

If I can't get a song someone wants, oh well. I will never be able to keep everyone happy anyway.

If you start doing this, your nightly fee will need to increase. Do you have singers willing to pay you to sing? I have bar owners complaining because people don't want to pay $5 cover charge for listening to a band.

I have never seen anyone locally charge singers to sing. I would never even try it.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

update, Chartbuster has abandoned the idea of streaming karaoke for professional use and just made it available for home use only with zero chance of it being turned into pro use due to poor quality of transfering the video portion over to tv's. Yes it can be done but it won't help KJ's.

Instead they have joined with Compuhost and are producing a hard drive solution where you buy credits to unlock the library on that drive using Compuhost. The Hard drive contains locked versions of Chartbuster's Entire library.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

With the current state of the economy and the continued downfall of ours and other nations economies...karaoke (entertainment in general) won't be much of an issue shortly...

I'm noticing smaller attendance at all my jobs. I can clearly tell the beginning of the month from the end of the month. Even right after payday the crowds aren't like they used to be...
jr2423

Re: Would You use this or would it be death to Karaoke compa

Post by jr2423 »

DanG2006 wrote:... I personally believe that this would take us Hosts out of the picture if this is done...
Not a good host.

Do you think you would loose your position as a host?
Why?
Are you not good enough?

What I'm saying here is that a good host who is recognized as such by the hiring establisment shouldn't feel threatened. If a host is doing their job, and the revenue continues to flow, the management ain't gonna change what works; unless they're an idiot like the manager BigDog had to deal with a couple of months back. Speaking of which, was there ever any closure to that whole situation; I haven't hear anything lately.
JR & Michele LaPorte
DHK DJ Service
Peoria, AZ
http://www.diehardkaraoke.com
[email protected]
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Well after several other KJs and dueling pianos not working...he decided to do karaoke on friday and saturday like we were doing. Except I'm not there.

I picked up a friday right away. I might have a saturday lined up. But I'm also liking the 3 days off thing too. decisions decisions...