Laptop karaoke

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

im not really sure how great it is. i mean it sounds great when i use the jukebox. the desktop is a HP pavilion slimline.

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Check the computer specs and see the model number of your sound card and see if it's at the top of the list or the bottom as far as quality.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

hey bigdog, i couldnt find the sound cards serial number but I did find the specs. if you want, you can take a look. http://www.epinions.com/specs/Hewlett_P ... DRAM_500GB

Thanks
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

alkalinesi wrote:hey bigdog, i couldnt find the sound cards serial number but I did find the specs. if you want, you can take a look. http://www.epinions.com/specs/Hewlett_P ... DRAM_500GB

Thanks
This is your card.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/prod ... ProdID=141

Go to the HP site and see if you can build a (pretend) computer. When you come to picking a sound card see where this one is one the list...like good, better, best...
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

so i went on HP website to build off of the slimline and the only option i get says "intergrated sound." my desktop is about a year old but I have no idea how to tell. I dont even see my present audio card in the options in the higher model computers.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

alkalinesi wrote:so i went on HP website to build off of the slimline and the only option i get says "intergrated sound." my desktop is about a year old but I have no idea how to tell. I dont even see my present audio card in the options in the higher model computers.
Every manufacturer keeps upgrading their stuff so what was the best last year sucks this year.... :lol:

You should be fine. Testing will let you know.

Just to say a cheap sound card would be a weak link. A cheap mixer would be a weak link. Cheap speakers are a weak link. Having the best of every other componant with one weak link screws everything up.

The same with EQ. Every piece of equipment you add or change will change the EQ settings somewhat. It's always a constant ajustment away from sounding optimal.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

So I went into my display settings on my desktop and went to monitors. It shows two monitors, one im using is highlighted but it does show a second. does that mean i have duel display(where i can run justkarake but the program dosent show on the 2nd tv) and what kind of hook up do i need? just a vga splitter?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

look on the back of your computer. if it shows two monitors it should work for you. There should be either an hdmi out or a circle with holes in it near your vga out. if the circle is there you have s-video. this is not to be confused with your mouse port.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

dan my comp doesnt have an s video or hdmi. it just has the vga. it also has a digital audio out that use for my 7.1 surround sound, then a microphone input, then a speaker in and out. where would i plug in my mixing amp?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Can you open your desktop up and install stuff? If so then the dual dispays should work for you. It looks like you might have the option of adding another video card. or this would work:
http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_d ... 25,106,169
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

Yea I'm not good with computers to be taking it apart. But I was looking at the USB video card hook ups like the one you linked, I think I'll go that route.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

When you look in the display....in the control panel...open the settings tab.

You should see a window with 2 monitors. Usually #1 will be in the foreground bigger than #2. Click on #2 it should tell you if it's active or not. But you can change that.

The big thing is if it's there or not. If you can not click on it to change anything you need a different video card.

Having 25 outputs VGA, RCA, or s-video won't give you duel display. You need to be able to drag the karaoke screen over to the extended display screen. This happens inside your computer not by adding another monitor.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

when i get to the duel screens the first one is bigger and highlighted blue. i move the curser over to second one it says not active. but i can click on it and it does get highlighted. when im on the 1st screen it says generic PnP monitor on NVIDIA geforce 7100. then when i click on 2nd monitor it says (default monitor)on NVIDIA geforce 7100. im not a computer whiz but it looks like it supports duel display right?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:When you look in the display....in the control panel...open the settings tab.

You should see a window with 2 monitors. Usually #1 will be in the foreground bigger than #2. Click on #2 it should tell you if it's active or not. But you can change that.

The big thing is if it's there or not. If you can not click on it to change anything you need a different video card.

Having 25 outputs VGA, RCA, or s-video won't give you duel display. You need to be able to drag the karaoke screen over to the extended display screen. This happens inside your computer not by adding another monitor.
Bigdog, you can't move the lyrics screen over unless there is another monitor out port. The link I gave him does that.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

alkalinesi wrote:when i get to the duel screens the first one is bigger and highlighted blue. i move the curser over to second one it says not active. but i can click on it and it does get highlighted. when im on the 1st screen it says generic PnP monitor on NVIDIA geforce 7100. then when i click on 2nd monitor it says (default monitor)on NVIDIA geforce 7100. im not a computer whiz but it looks like it supports duel display right?
Yes you are right. If you get the video out that I linked to The second display will switch over to that.