Laptop karaoke

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

An external sound card is just one more thing to worry about breaking down.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

With a home karaoke system you are better off using a desktop rather than a laptop. Much easier to upgrade and repair.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

well i actually have a desktop computer downstairs. but i use it for my jukebox. but if i can use it for jukebox and karaoke that would be great. but ill prob need splitters. and i also already have another sound system hooked up to comp.

I have the touchscreen hooked up to the VGA and a onkto 7.1 surround hooked up through coaxil. so how would I hook the amp up to the comp(headphone jack?) and I guess ill need to get a VGA splitter right? but whats the max tvs you can support?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

with the desktop you need to add another video card that either supports tv-out or vga out. either way it will allow you to do dual displays.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Newer computers already have stereo outputs built in to the sound card. If yours doesn't take the headphone out to the mixer. I run my laptop sound from the headphones to the mixer. You also might run into a ground loop noise problem. A conflict between the computer and the sound system. It can be fixed if we get to that point.

Take the outputs to some kind of mixer inputs. Don't blow your surround speakers with live vocals.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

well how many tv's can you hook up through computer? i have the touchscreen which is the main monitor so i guess ill use that has the hub where I select the songs and such and then I have a 40" tv couple feet away where I'll use for the lyrics and everybody to watch. But will I be able to eventually get a smaller monitor for the singer? basically can I have the touchscreen and a 40" tv and like a 22" tv all running at once? is it possible?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You need something to convert the TV signal out.

I'm going to assume you have a video out on your computer.

What kind is it?

RCA...S-video...coax...VGA

I like the VGA out because the ends screw in to make a good connection.

Then you can get a VGA to RCA & S-video converter.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

it has a digital coax thats connected to the surround sound and it has the VGA where the screen attached to. but i have no idea if it supports duel screens and im not sure how i could tell.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

If it doesn't have a S-Video out then it doesn't support dual screens or if you use a splitter your singers will see what you see on your computer screen.
You would need a second PCI video card.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:If it doesn't have a S-Video out then it doesn't support dual screens or if you use a splitter your singers will see what you see on your computer screen.
With all due respect and tongue firmly in cheek DanG, RUBBISH :lol:

I know of NO modern laptop that DOESN'T support dual screen.

If he has an external VGA socket on the back or side of his laptop then it WILL almost certainly have dual screen capability.

Most laptops these days will immediately detect the connection of a 2nd screen and in the case of Vista and I presume Win 7, will automatically configure it. XP needs manual configuration but it's pretty easy.

The only issue that might arise is that sometimes the external VGA can be switched off, usually with one of the function keys.

To check for dual screen capability, right click anywhere on the desktop and then click the PROPERTIES option in the popup menu.

Select the SETTINGS tab and you should see a representation of your monitor settings.

If there is no 2nd monitor showing, then you'll need to check, as I mentioned above, that the external VGA has been enabled.

Odds on that it has.

However, if you want to connect to a TV and have no TV out capability, you will need a VGA tp TV converter that you can readily get for $30 or so.

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:
DanG2006 wrote:If it doesn't have a S-Video out then it doesn't support dual screens or if you use a splitter your singers will see what you see on your computer screen.

If he has an external VGA socket on the back or side of his laptop then it WILL almost certainly have dual screen capability.

Most laptops these days will immediately detect the connection of a 2nd screen and in the case of Vista and I presume Win 7, will automatically configure it. XP needs manual configuration but it's pretty easy.

The only issue that might arise is that sometimes the external VGA can be switched off, usually with one of the function keys.

To check for dual screen capability, right click anywhere on the desktop and then click the PROPERTIES option in the popup menu.

Select the SETTINGS tab and you should see a representation of your monitor settings.

If there is no 2nd monitor showing, then you'll need to check, as I mentioned above, that the external VGA has been enabled.

Odds on that it has.

However, if you want to connect to a TV and have no TV out capability, you will need a VGA tp TV converter that you can readily get for $30 or so.

Sandy
If you read the above posts more closely you will see that they are talking about a desktop computer.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:
mnementh wrote:

Odds on that it has.

Sandy
If you read the above posts more closely you will see that they are talking about a desktop computer.
In which case, I unreservably apologise to DanG and will now go and sulk in the corner, while eating my large portion of humble pie. :oops:

Sandy
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

OK guys, I appreciate all the input and help you guys have been. And I'm going to try and narrow this down. From what I understand, you dont NEED a laptop with an s video out? So what about this? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+S ... Id=9988402

Then to connect to my HDMI TV. I was thinking this. http://sewelldirect.com/Component-VGA-t ... r-720p.asp

And if all that works, then I'll have to just hook up the mixer amp to the computer. I guess I'll need some kind of wire that splits. I'll prob have to use the headphone out from laptop and get a a wire that converts to the red and white(rca audio) to hook into amp. Then all of that should work, right? And in the future if I want to hook up a second TV i can just get a bigger VGA splitter.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

That should work. I prefer the s-video out over VGA but that's my preference. A lot of LCD TV's have VGA in's so a VGA to VGA might work.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

Oh yea now that i remember, my tv does have a VGA hookup so hopefully that works, thanks.