Laptop karaoke

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

alkalinesi wrote:OK guys, I appreciate all the input and help you guys have been. And I'm going to try and narrow this down. From what I understand, you dont NEED a laptop with an s video out? So what about this? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+S ... Id=9988402

Then to connect to my HDMI TV. I was thinking this. http://sewelldirect.com/Component-VGA-t ... r-720p.asp

And if all that works, then I'll have to just hook up the mixer amp to the computer. I guess I'll need some kind of wire that splits. I'll prob have to use the headphone out from laptop and get a a wire that converts to the red and white(rca audio) to hook into amp. Then all of that should work, right? And in the future if I want to hook up a second TV i can just get a bigger VGA splitter.

STOP....STOP, STOP, STOP.... :shock:

Don't go rushing into any laptop or desktop until you figure out if the karaoke hosting program you want to use will work with the operating system you decide to run.

There are many problems with compatability and Windows 7 64 bit may not run any hosting programs yet.
:shock:

Xerox hasn't even figured out how to get my copier to scan with Vista 64 bit yet. :roll:

The latest and greatest ain't always.

alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

well i was gonna run justkaraoke. how am i supposed to know if a computer wont run a system? is it like trial by error? this stuff is complicated.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It's not trial and error. Virtually all software creators post minimum requirements for running their programs. The computer you linked to should have no problem with JustKaraoke.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I agree with wiseguy. JustKaraoke should run fine on that computer.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

another question i had guys was how do you tell if a laptop supports duel screens? duel screen means that my karaoke software screen will stay on laptop screen while just the regualr karaoke screen will stay on tv, correct?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Correct. Unlike winamp, JustKaraoke looks for the second screen at startup. If it isn't there (you must connect it and power it up before powering up your laptop) it will give a warning that it did not find it.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

ok cool thanks Dan, and do you know how to tell if a new laptop supports duel screen? would it be under the specs?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

You would have to go into the properties of the display. Not sure how to do it in windows 7 though since my computer has xp pro.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

oh ok so I guess I would have to go try out the laptop before I buy.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

alkalinesi wrote:oh ok so I guess I would have to go try out the laptop before I buy.
Correct.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

do you know how to tell if a new laptop supports duel screen? would it be under the specs?
Dual display is commonly referred to as "extended desktop". Just email the vendor and ask them if it has this feature.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I don't know if that is a feature put in every computer automatically.

I've had new desk tops & laptops that didn't have it.

If you're in the store looking at display models by all means phsically check them to be sure. It's not the first thing people usually look for in a computer.

Is S-video still a big deal or has something else come along beside HD.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

I dont think S-video is a big deal anymore. My TV has a VGA hookup so I can just hook up through there correct?
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

hey guys i had another question, sorry for so many. i think i pretty much have the basics of what ill need if i did laptop. well i do have a desktop already downstairs so i wanted to weigh my options with that. it has a headphone jack where i can hook up my mixing amp, or i can use a usb sound card correct? then to get duel displays(from my understanding desktops dont have duel displays), i can just get an external usb video card that has a vga out so i can run to my LCD tv. to me this seems like all i need but you guys know the ins and outs, im sure im missing something. thanks again.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You might be able to buy a new video card with duel display (Extended Desktop) in it and just put it in your computer.

How good is the sound card in the computer?