Laptop karaoke

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
alkalinesi

Laptop karaoke

Post by alkalinesi »

Hey guys I'm new here. I made a previous post about hooking up RSQ player and mixing amp but I was rethinking everything after being on these forums. I decided it would be easier to do everything from a laptop. Now this is just for home use and I dont have tons of money. I have a RSQ DAT-888 mixing amp. My question is if I buy a small cheap laptop like a $300 toshiba laptop, will I be able to hook it up to my TV and my amp? And will it be easy to rip cdg's to the hardrive and play the songs easily. Im just trying to think of the best method for home karaoke without being too complicated.
and also would netbooks work too? like what kind of things does the computer have to have to have all this work? thanks

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I got my laptop for $300 shipped from usedlaptops.com. It's the second one I got from them and I am extremely happy with it.
I wouldn't go netbook as t is too small and does not have the right video out for karaoke. I would go with a regular laptop. You don't need the newest model out there to do what you want.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

it does not have the TV-out that most good for karaoke laptops does. Here is the one I have now:
http://www.usedlaptops.com/allinventory/IBM_t42USA.html

Only difference is that it has 512 more ram than mine does.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

but cant you use the VGA? i thought they made cables for that.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Yes but I don't know if it will work the way you want. The idea of dual displays is to have the control program on the laptop screen while the lyrics screen is on the TV freeing you u p to work with the program while a singer is singing. Not every computer supports dual display. The one I linked to does.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Do not buy a laptop that doesn't have the duel display capability. You have to look inside the display to see if it does. No duel display no karaoke TV monitor. This is the most important this to do.

You can use the external video output from any computer to put the words on the TV screen. You will need an adapter to convert the signal to either S-video, RCA and or coax.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:Yes but I don't know if it will work the way you want. The idea of dual displays is to have the control program on the laptop screen while the lyrics screen is on the TV freeing you u p to work with the program while a singer is singing. Not every computer supports dual display. The one I linked to does.
In terms of laptops, I know of NO laptop that DOESN'T support dual display, other than possibly "Netbooks" that are deliberately made very small.

Simply check for an external VGA connector (15 pin high density "D" socket) on your laptop and if it's there (almost certainly), then the laptop WILL support dual display.

It might, perhaps, NOT have a TV out on it but that can be taken care of with a convertor, or you can simply use another PC monitor, instead.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My new HP mini laptop has it. I could do karaoke from it.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

So what's the verdict guys? Will I be safe getting any laptop? I'm comfortable spending around $300.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

If you're comfortable with $300 then I suggest you consider the link I gave you. I guarantee it will run JustKaraoke and several other programs that will run karaoke.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The laptop is the unit that will be delivering the sound through the sound card. If it has a cheap sound card the sound will not be as good.

Cheap always sounds cheap.

Bottom line is...there are not a lot of ways to do cheap karaoke and expect it to sound good. How much are you willing to compromise your sound.

I know it's for your living room but still you have to listen to it.

I personally don't let the price dictate the sound quality. I don't have the most expensive system in the world but it sounds really good. And all of my customers agree.

In the music business you get what you pay for. Buy cheap and count on buying it again later. You will want/need to replace stuff later. Either because it didn't last or it just sounds crappy.

This is the reason everyone gets sucked in to buying from the sites that advertise "karaoke equipment." There is no such thing, but if the price looks good they will sell it to unsuspecting people like you.

I know it's not what you want to hear but these are the facts. Buying the best you can afford at the time might not be what you really wanted or end up with in the future. If you eventually replace everything with better stuff are you really ahead of the money game?

Look at your local music stores for good used equipment. I bought the system in my living room used. A KJ went out of business and I got all of his stuff. I needed to do a few upgrades but the sound is just like my other system now. Used equipment is about half of the new price as a rule of thumb. I spent about $5000 on the used system. And that included most of the Pioneer laser discs and other music.

Everytime I go to the music store my first stop is to look at the used equipment. Another music store has rental stuff they unload every so often too.
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

OK thanks a lot bigdog. I certainly agree with about buying the good stuff first. It just sucks I searched all over the web on how to build home karaoke machines and couldnt find anything til I found that company I bought from. Then I find this forum. You live you learn I guess.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

You can always upgrade the audio card. I use a USB sound card for my computer and it sounds better than the stock one built in. IF you got the s version of the amplifier you can connect via usb to the computer and circumvent the audio card on the laptop.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What's cheaper...buying a good external hard drive or buying a better computer with the best sound card they have?

Technically if you buy the right computer the first time it should last forever in a home karaoke environment. You won't have to worry about updates and upgrades. Keep it off the internet and you just eliminated a bunch of problems. My karaoke computers will never see the internet.

I bought new Dell computers and the 5 year extended warranty. Only on the one I use all the time. The other is a back up so I just used the warranty it came with. But they are indentical and the internal parts could be swapped at any time.