MUST READ PRIVACY ISSUE.....

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Moonrider

Post by Moonrider »

mnementh wrote: If my calculations are correct, at 30 songs per CD, Sound Choice is also taking the urine in terms of how many discs there are per set.

As a recordable CD has 800Mb available, at even 10Mb per song, you should be able to get at least 80 tracks per disc.

Sandy
The discs are produced in the UK. The 30 songs per CD is a limitation of the mechanical licensing I believe.

Last week, I went to Philadelphia, but it was closed.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If you desire to shift the Content of any of the Original Media to more than one NonOriginal Medium (hard drive), you must acquire one or more additional original discs, so that you maintain a 1-
to-1 relationship between original discs and the non-original media (hard drive). For example, if you want to
store the Content of a disc on three hard drives, you must acquire and maintain three original discs.
:shock: 3 hard drives = 3 discs.

Non original medium is a hard drive. They are coming to you on a disc (CD) not a hard drive. You can make one hard drive copy. Not 2.

That means NO BACK UP HARD DRIVE WITHOUT ANOTHER DISC.

1-1 is one disc = one hard drive. 2 hard drives means 2 discs.

And it also means you're STUPID. :shock: Now you need to rent 2 sets of discs for $9,000 :roll:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:You can't be serious about using the discs and your CD drive. Your karaoke hosting program is looking for the song files on the hard drive and not the CD drive so you have rendered it useless.
With all due respect Wiseguy, my hosting program looks for files wherever I tell it to look.

Thre is no difference whether the files are on discs or hard drive.

For all the time it takes to log a CD, I see no problem with this at all.

I do however, agree that it's not an ideal situation but it would certainly ensure that you have the tracks available that you say you have.

After all, it's unlikely that more than a couple of files are likely to corrupt at any given time, so only one CD would have to be logged into the hoster database, allowing the hard drive files to be restored later.

Once restored to hard drive, it's a matter of seconds to "un log" the CD from the hoster program.

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I'm using an external disc drive to read discs through Sax & Dottys. :shock:

Load the disc and pick the songs to go in the queue.

There is however an issue involved.

If you have the discs and want or need to use them and you have a 1-1 copy on a hard drive you would have to delete the files first to use the discs legally. :shock: :lol:
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:You can't be serious about using the discs and your CD drive. Your karaoke hosting program is looking for the song files on the hard drive and not the CD drive so you have rendered it useless.

And then how stupid is it to have to set up for both a hard drive AND a disc system.

I say it is as stupid as a person would need to be to agree to the Sound Choice contract.
I was talking about your outside player not your computer. Surely you have a backup should your computer fail. With the discs you can play them as if they were CD+G in your player if your player reads MP3+G which a lot of the newer players do. If you have it on external hard drive then you would also be able to move your usb connection to the newer players.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

When you create the song database with your hosting software a direct link to the files is designated. If you select a song that is not where the database says it is you will get an error or at the very least no response. The program will not ask you for the disc the song is on. To use the disc you will need to manually look for every song. And I'm talking about the inevitable hard drive failure and not a couple of corrupt songs. Run a show with your CD drive and the MP3+G discs and see if you consider this an acceptable backup situation.

Dan, you are talking about having both a hard drive system AND a disc system in place which is nothing short of ridiculous. And the fact is that there are very few players that will play MP3+G files from disc. Many will play them from USB drives but that would be breaking the contract as being a second copy.

The bottom line is that it is asinine for this contract to not allow a backup hard drive. Only a fool would agree to this contract.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

It's a moot point for me as I have decided to go the SUperCDG route. I still would carry an outside player for singer's discs (originals only) and if for some reason my laptop decides to kick the bucket in the middle of the show.

How would you handle your computer giving up the ghost on you in the middle of the show? Announce show is over due to technical difficulties or just hook up the outside player and do the show from there.
Now I know that Bigdog carries a spare but what if both die on you? WAtcha gonna do?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I also carry a backup computer as everyone should. If both fail then I go home as that show certainly wasn't meant to be.

What do you do if your computer and your disc player both die on you?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DanG2006 wrote:It's a moot point for me as I have decided to go the SUperCDG route. I still would carry an outside player for singer's discs (originals only) and if for some reason my laptop decides to kick the bucket in the middle of the show.

How would you handle your computer giving up the ghost on you in the middle of the show? Announce show is over due to technical difficulties or just hook up the outside player and do the show from there.
Now I know that Bigdog carries a spare but what if both die on you? WAtcha gonna do?
Carrying a back up laptop and hard drives in one medium sized suit case is a heck of a lot easier than dragging the almost 1500 discs and extra players to a show. Not to mention leaving them in the vehicle incase you need them. My spare laptop is always beside me at every show. It's part of my suitcase trip at every show. I don't even consider leaving it in my vehicle especially during the show.

I can change a laptop or a hard drive in minutes. A hard drive could be changed while using songs from my other hard drive. Nobody would even notice it. Changing a laptop, which I had to do recently took about 10 minutes to get everything back together and rename the drives and redownload my database to the Sax & Dottys.

10 minutes of silence was soon forgotten. No manager asked me to take a pay cut. And I didn't offer. I simply announced I had a technical problem and would be back up in a few minutes. I had everything out and ready to go before I made that announcement. I said the computer is telling me I have a problem and need to reboot. Nobody knew I performed a complete computer swap out. Because everyone with a computer knows that's about how long a reboot takes. :shock:

No matter what happens, I'm never going back to discs even as a back up. My back up will always be a computer and a hard drive. My discs will remain safe in the house forever.

If worst comes to worst, my show will go on with every Sound Choice song being deleted.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I try to update about every 3 months because of free shipping. It's time again. :roll:

Should I buy Sound Choice discs or use another company?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

There's nothing new out on Sound Choice. They are in the business of reselling their old library. Shop elsewhere.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

They are putting out a new disc in November.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:They are putting out a new disc in November.
They have nothing listed under New Releases or Future Releases on their site.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I got word of this from Kurt himself.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I'm more worried about my name and other info being turned in to them for investigation.

Every KJ operating with hard drives should be concerned.