Definition of Karaoke

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Definition of Karaoke

Post by Bigdog »

http://www.answers.com/topic/karaoke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaoke

In these explanations they say nothing about "distractions" being any part of karaoke. :shock:

spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

Yeah... and televisions used to be only black and white. :)
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

That comparison doesn't even make sense. :roll:

TVs still do one thing and only one thing..... Deliver a picture. Nothing more nothing less. Still uses all the basic parts.

Karaoke used to be people reading printed words and singing to recorded music. Karaoke today still does one thing and only one thing. People singing along with recorded music and reading words on a TV instead of paper.

Karaoke didn't turn into a kitchen sink full of distractions. And TVs aren't blenders. Incompetent KJs turned karaoke into something other than karaoke. Not the singers. They never asked for anything but being able to sing as many times in a night as possible. The 40 year old definition of karaoke hasn't changed one bit to include distractions of any kind.

KJs that think they are providing what the crowds want...sold out to the crowd and shoved one up the singers _______ :roll: :oops: :shock: :cry:

I don't need singers at my karaoke show, I have plenty of dancers.... I'm an entertainer...only for a little while longer. Then you can be replaced by a real DJ or a jukebox. Killing your/our karaoke livelyhood in the process.
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

You obviously live a very boring and mundane life, Bigdog. You must be an only child. Change is inevitable in any walk of life. Refusing to accept it is adolescent behavior which you also have an unlimited supply of.
Even though I grew up attending the types of shows you so rigidly defend I now find them growing stale. Furthermore, my clintele feels the same way.
People want and expect more. They want an energetic and friendly host. Somehow I don't see that happening at your show. sitting behind a table and calling up singers like cattle. perhaps you throw in a corny joke every now and then.to keep their interest. You've stated many times how you have no filler music between singers and that the next singers are waiting to take the mic for the next song. That also means no time for applause. No time for emcee alittle and get your crowd going.
Pardon me, but that sounds pretty boring and if I've gotta chance to go out with my bride for the evening it wouldn't be to go to your show an watch you go by the rules of your "KJ FOR DUMMIES" book.
If I liked karaoke I'd be searching for something a little different. Not a ton of difference, just enough to make it FUN! Light shows, fog, props, theme nights, mystery song, gender-bender, etc are really fun things that I implement at my shows. recording singers, live-stream, bartender challenge, etc. They are fun as hell, Bigdog. You should comw down and see it. It might even change your infantile minded dribble regarding change.
Good luck, doggy. I think your gonna need it
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Spotlight,
I ran such a show last weds night like bigdogs and have had nothing but compliments over how I did from several people.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My shows are fun and novel... :shock:

When you attract higher than average talent...minus the screaming drunks acting like idiots and seeing how much they can shock an audience with the amount of swear words in one song.....it is a lot of fun.

If I was in a resort town my show would be a lot different. I have to work with what I have. I'm trying to build crowds that have day jobs and are not on vacation.

No KJ in my area has a show like mine. They entertain and attract the screamers and drunks. That makes my show stand out above the rest.

Most KJs can not understand or do a karaoke show like mine. So I really don't expect other KJs to believe me or know what I'm talking about.

There is a lot of time for applause....I have rarely seen applause last more than 10-15 seconds...and as the applause fades away the next song starts. How much more singing time should I waste? My singers complain now about not getting to sing enough. My rotations are big and this actually keeps some singers away from my show. I'm a victim of my own success.

Maybe most KJs are used to wasting valuable singing time between screamers to give the rest of the crowds ears a break. I'm giving the crowd another good singer...so why prolong it with stupid filler music or dance sets for the non karaoke crowd? If I wanted to do Vegas karaoke I would. I don't think there is a big market for it in a non resort setting. Karaoke is not about people acting like jerks. At least that's how I look at it. I'm promoting only one thing. Professional karaoke for the more discriminating karaoke singers. Nobody else does it. My competition caters to everyone else. I work more than them. So now it comes down to who makes more money. I do. I charge more. I have way less crowd trouble.

I'm a real KJ professional and the field is narrowing very fast. If you want to let the crowds (mainly filled with people that don't want to sing and could care less about karaoke) control your show...do it.

I put on a show purely for singers, as karaoke has always been about. My crowds also have repeat nonsingers that come nightly just to listen and be entertained.

Your type of shows will be the death of karaoke actually being about people singing. When singers stop coming to have their time wasted with nonkaraoke distractions there is no karaoke show. It's happening in other parts of the country. "KJs" crying about not being able to get jobs and having to work for peanuts. If they wouldn't have let the nonsingers decide the way the KARAOKE show should have been run there wouldn't be a problem. They are fighting crappy KJs killing the pay scale and DJs that are now doing what the KJs used to do...playing dance music all night instead of letting people sing..Who needs a KJ to play dance (DJ) music all night? That's why there are DJs.

Those same out of work KJs will tell you they catered to the nonsingers by playing distractions. They shot themselves in the foot and now they want to cry about being out of a KARAOKE job. :cry: :cry: :cry:

What good is a plumber that only lays brick? He's still calls himself a plumber and can't get plumbing work. Wonder why??? I doesn't take an Einstein to figure it out. Do you want a plumber to lay your block or a bricklayer??? Who you gonna call????

I have karaoke singers that want to sing all night...where do you think they go??? They take their singing a little more seriously...I cater to them. And...big surprise.. :shock: ..they love it.

My competition has singers that want to scream and swear all night and they cater to them and the dancers. It's working out perfectly for me. They give me their good singers and I give them my crap. :shock: WIN, WIN... :lol: :shock:

Until I'm dead I promise I will never play filler music or dance music at my karaoke show. I'll remain loyal to the many good dedicated karaoke singers. I'm still a professional KJ. Nothing else.

Dan....Just because some other no brain KJ ruined the karaoke crowd on a scheduled karaoke night by catering to the dancers doesn't mean you have to go along with it. If you do an all karaoke show the dancers will leave and be replaced with....KARAOKE SINGERS. WOW what an idea...singers at karaoke..... :shock: :roll:

all karaoke show or unemployment (because you helped to kill real karaoke with distractions)...??? This choice is getting smaller by the day as more and more so called KJ/DJs succumb to the dancers.

ATTENTION KARAOKE SINGERS. ...I still provide karaoke at all of my shows, with no exceptions...ever. Now that's exciting... :shock: :roll: