Man Cave System

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
esmith

Man Cave System

Post by esmith »

I'm building a system for my husband's man cave. We acquired a sizable collection of karaoke cds and I've set up an unused desktop computer with software to rip the cds onto the hard drive and run the 'shows'. We have a set of spare monitors we can hook up One to run the desktop and one for the singer to sing from. We plan to hook one tv in the area for the audience to view.
My question is what additional pieces of hardware will I need? We plan to acquire a pair of wireless microphones and some speakers. Do we need an amplifier/mixer and or a karaoke player or can I run everything off the desktop computer?
Thanks for helping a novice any advice is appreciated.

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

If you are ripping to hard drive why would you need an outside player?
All you need now is a mixer/amp and passive speakers or a mixer and powered speakers. Personally for home use I would go the powered speakers route as you don't have to think about matching your amp to the speakers as the amp is built into the speakers.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You might consider a compressor to protect the speakers from someone screaming into the microphone.

And a reverb/effects unit to make you really sound professional.

nice ploy..making him think it's all for him.. :lol:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Your system will consist of a player (in this instance you're going with a software player), a mixer and amp or a powered mixer, PA speakers, and microphones.

Your "hosting" software will have digital key control negating the need for having this as a hardware feature.

For your purposes I would recommend a powered mixer with built in effects like reverb. Note these effects are typically used only on the microphones.

PA speakers as opposed to any type of home stereo speakers or surround sound system.

You will need to match the speakers to the powered mixer for a well balanced system.

Any of us here could recommend specific components as we all have our favorites but I think this would only serve to confuse you.

My advice is to go to a music store (the kind that sells gear to DJs and bands) and have a professional put together a system for you that is based on your individual requirements.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I would add to that...don't buy anything they says it's a karaoke component. i.e. karaoke speaker or karaoke mixer or karaoke anything else except a karaoke disc player. Just buy equipment that is for a PA (public address) system. Like a band would use. Don't fall for the karaoke equipment ploy...it's a lie... there is no such thing.

You want a live music PA system.