FREE MP3+G Songbook Creator Software

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
C. Staley

Post by C. Staley »

WHOOPS!

Here is the CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE POST..... since I cannot edit it...

1) If you have already downloaded and installed this program, then you ONLY need TWO files below. You MUST place these files in the same folder as the files you have already installed. The default folder location is: C:/book

http://dkusa.com/FreeBookLink/Mp3gBook.exe
http://dkusa.com/FreeBookLink/mp3g1.exe

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi, Mr/Ms Staley (A first name would be nice, by the way :) )

I'll have another look at your program tonight, when I get home.

One quick question, however.

How does your "duplicate remover" work out what is and what is not a duplicate?

I ask this as many file field separators exist, e.g. - , _-_ and afew others.

Also, very minor naming errors such as capitilisation differences will throw off a standard "dupe" search.

I appreciate your efforts in such a short time, nonetheless.

Keep up the good work.

Sandy
C. Staley

Post by C. Staley »

mnementh wrote:Hi, Mr/Ms Staley (A first name would be nice, by the way :) )

I'll have another look at your program tonight, when I get home.

One quick question, however.

How does your "duplicate remover" work out what is and what is not a duplicate?

I ask this as many file field separators exist, e.g. - , _-_ and afew others.

Also, very minor naming errors such as capitilisation differences will throw off a standard "dupe" search.

I appreciate your efforts in such a short time, nonetheless.

Keep up the good work.

Sandy
First name is Chip (and that is my "real" name, not a nickname)

There are some choices for the naming conventions as you'll see when the program starts. Sorry, but I don't think that seperators that contain underscores are valid... if you run it, look for the file called: ERROR.TXT which is just a text file of the file names it couldn't figure out.

Duplicates are based on the SAME ARTIST and the SAME Song TiTLE which is not case sensitive.

These two below would be a DUPLICATE:
DK002-11 - Ross, Diana - Ain't No Mountain High Enough.zip
SGB165-02 - ROSS, DIANA - AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH.ZIP

However this would NOT be a duplicate:
DK002-11 - Ross, Diana - Ain't No Mountain High Enough.zip
DK52-16 - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrel - Ain't No Mountain High Enough.zip

The discID AND the file extension is ignored. The test is only on the name and title.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Chip,
A good start in the right direction.

For a song book, this is a welcome addition.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting enough time to improve my Excel dupe finder just now, so I don't know when I'll get my VBA code to find and kill actual files.

Very impressive programming, by the way.

What do you use for your software, Visual Basic, C++?

Sandy
C. Staley

Post by C. Staley »

Thanks....

And you probably wouldn't believe what I used..... TWO versions of Visual basic:

VB 6.0 because of the file-naming/handling characteristics and VB 3.0 because of the "direct writes" that I can do without SQL...
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

Hey guys, this is kinda off topic but I didn't wanna start another thread. I'm not very experienced with Karaoke, and I only do home karaoke. But couple months ago I made a book using tricerasoft book creater. I have about 150 page sleeves front and back in a binder. Recently I downloaded more songs and put them into the song book software. My question is, when you guys update your books, do you re-print your whole book? Or is there some tip of doing this? Not really familiar with this, wasn't sure if there was an insiders trick or I just have to print out everything again, which is a pain, because I went through a cartridge and a half of ink in one session. Thanks.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

alkalinesi wrote:Hey guys, this is kinda off topic but I didn't wanna start another thread. I'm not very experienced with Karaoke, and I only do home karaoke. But couple months ago I made a book using tricerasoft book creater. I have about 150 page sleeves front and back in a binder. Recently I downloaded more songs and put them into the song book software. My question is, when you guys update your books, do you re-print your whole book? Or is there some tip of doing this? Not really familiar with this, wasn't sure if there was an insiders trick or I just have to print out everything again, which is a pain, because I went through a cartridge and a half of ink in one session. Thanks.
Hi there.
I suppose it's down to how many pages/how much it would cost, whether or not you immediately re-do your book(s).

If you have 150 pages and a reasonable number of books on offer at a "gig", then it might well be a real pain to keep them completely up to date.

When I add songs to my books, I put them in a separate section at the back and have a page at the front in large font indicating "New songs at back of book".

I then maintain this update section until I feel it's getting unwieldy and only then do a re-run of the entire book.

I hope that made sense!!! :lol:

Sandy
alkalinesi

Post by alkalinesi »

mnementh wrote: Hi there.
I suppose it's down to how many pages/how much it would cost, whether or not you immediately re-do your book(s).

If you have 150 pages and a reasonable number of books on offer at a "gig", then it might well be a real pain to keep them completely up to date.

When I add songs to my books, I put them in a separate section at the back and have a page at the front in large font indicating "New songs at back of book".

I then maintain this update section until I feel it's getting unwieldy and only then do a re-run of the entire book.

I hope that made sense!!! :lol:

Sandy
Thanks a lot, they made perfect sense. I was thinking of doing something like that for the time being but wasnt sure if it was "proper thing to do." The only thing I have to figure out is how to get JUST the new songs so I can print just those pages. I'm sure the program can do it, just have to figure it out. Thanks a lot though.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I do this...

Instead of adding the new pages to every existing song book which keeps growing..I use an update book. If not my book would now be over 3 inches thick.

The update book gets bigger not the regular song book.

Now with that said my next song book with all the songs will have to be a 3 column version. So My regular song books don't get to be 3 inches thick. This is getting too expensive the bigger they get.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

alkalinesi wrote:Hey guys, this is kinda off topic but I didn't wanna start another thread. I'm not very experienced with Karaoke, and I only do home karaoke. But couple months ago I made a book using tricerasoft book creater. I have about 150 page sleeves front and back in a binder. Recently I downloaded more songs and put them into the song book software. My question is, when you guys update your books, do you re-print your whole book? Or is there some tip of doing this? Not really familiar with this, wasn't sure if there was an insiders trick or I just have to print out everything again, which is a pain, because I went through a cartridge and a half of ink in one session. Thanks.
For me it depended on how many songs I picked up. The last few purchases of songs have been over 1000 songs so I made a whole new book everytime. If it's less than four pages back to back, I would make update pages. Now that I am going to a "Song Request Station", I won't bother remaking my books. If they want to browse from their seats they can use their smartphones or IPADS.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

alkalinesi wrote:Thanks a lot, they made perfect sense. I was thinking of doing something like that for the time being but wasnt sure if it was "proper thing to do." The only thing I have to figure out is how to get JUST the new songs so I can print just those pages. I'm sure the program can do it, just have to figure it out. Thanks a lot though.
Hi again.
You said you "downloaded" your songs, I believe.

It should be a simple matter of isolating only those tracks into, say a TrackUpdate folder.

Then generate your additional list from that folder, rather than your main folder.

Easy Peasy :o

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I use KJ Pro and create two songbook databases. One is the main songbook and the other is updates. I can print these out separately. In my songbooks I have the main section, a tabbed divider page, and then a new release section. Once a year I merge them and start over.
C. Staley

Post by C. Staley »

You can use the freebook software to make an update book as long as your updates are in a folder off the main branch on your drive and you start the search with that folder.

Most people have their folders setup like this:

C:/All Songs/all hits
C:/All Songs/backstage
C:/All Songs/chartbuster
C:/All Songs/dkkaraoke

and so on. So all you need to do so make an update book is to temporarily isolate the new tracks in a folder that is NOT off the "All Songs" folder:

C:/Update/October
C:/Update/November
C:/Update/December

Use Freebook and start the search here: C:/Update/
This will get all everything in and below the "update" folder without looking at anything else.
djmusickaraoke69

Post by djmusickaraoke69 »

Do you believe there is any concern with it removing non duplicate songs when you use the progra?. I ran this program on a friends karaoke drive and found that out of the 124,000 MP3+Gs that were on it over half were duplicates but they were all from different karaoke manufacturers and then i became concerned that the tool removed non duplicate songs.
djmusickaraoke69

Post by djmusickaraoke69 »

Does it run through the enitre list of songs again as it removes duplicates and counts up the songs it is removing as it goes? Cause at current it is saying 85,000 of the 124,000 songs are duplicates and that can't be right or do i need to wait for it to finish?