Painting Bose 802's white

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
karanight

Painting Bose 802's white

Post by karanight »

I've got a room I want to fit out and I use Bose 802 speakers. Being black I don't think they'll suit this particular room so I thought I'd paint them white. I saw a photo of some white ones once but I don't know where I saw them. Has anyone any advice I can use to help me to accomplish this.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Like any paint job, it's the preparation that makes the difference between a good or bad job.

If you want a really good job, then you need to remove the drivers from the front either completely, or store them in the boxes.

Either way, unless they have 1/4 inch connections, carefully mark which wire goes where and desolder.

Then mask off the speaker apertures from the inside.

Assuming they're wood, rather than plastic, you'll need to rub them down to a fine finish in stages with finer and finer grades of sandpaper 'till you get a finish you're happy with.

Next you should thouroughly vacuum clean the room you intend to paint them in and let any residual dust settle down (good idea for this is a mister filled with water. It takes the dust out of the air).

Then just prior to painting, wipe the surfaces down with tack-rag or the American equivalent.

Spray carefully so as not to get runs and Robert's your Mother's Brother as we say over here (Bob's your Uncle), job done.

Or if you can't be arsed, just slap some white emulsion on them with a big brush :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have fun,
Sandy
karanight

Post by karanight »

mnementh wrote:
Or if you can't be arsed, just slap some white emulsion on them with a big brush :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have fun,
Sandy
Thats funny

Thanks for the reply.
I should have mentioned that they're plastic cabs and, I've got the time to do a good job. I'm prepared to get wooden cabs but I don't want to loose sound quality. Does anyone know if I'll loose sound quality with wooden cabs
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

karanight wrote:Thats funny

Thanks for the reply.
I should have mentioned that they're plastic cabs and, I've got the time to do a good job. I'm prepared to get wooden cabs but I don't want to loose sound quality. Does anyone know if I'll loose sound quality with wooden cabs
Hi again,
there shouldn't be a problem with plastic cabinets, other than possible poor adhesion of the paint.

Have a look to see if you can find paint primer specifically for plastic (Google is your friend). You need something that "flashes off" virtually instantly.

Rough up the surface a bit with medium/fine wet and dry paper (remember to take the drivers out first).

Spray with appropriate primer.

Quick rub down with VERY fine paper, then your white topcoat.

Should do the trick.

Sandy
karanight

Post by karanight »

Thanks for that.
I'll have a go and let you know my results. I won't be doing this till the new year but I can start searching for and getting the stuff I need :?
Life too short to be nasty
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

As your posting this question in a karaoke forum I'm wondering if you're using the Bose 801's for performing karaoke. They are not designed for live vocals and you may damage them. I have a friend who destroyed a set of Bose 901's this way. Just thought I should mention this.
karanight

Post by karanight »

Thanks for the thought.
These are Bose 802's not 801's. I've used the 802's for about 6 years for karaoke,and a friend of mines used them for a lot longer. We've never had a problem with the 802's
Always willing to learn though.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Wood has a better different sound than plastic.
karanight

Post by karanight »

I've never had any wooden ones but I'll look for a pair and compare sounds.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Something else to consider about adding paint.

Those speakers have been designed to sound as they do without the paint. Painting them COULD change the way they sound. It might muffle the response or change the sound in another way.
karanight

Post by karanight »

Your right, I've sent Bose an email to find out what kind of plastic they use to make em and for there advice
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Paint the room to match the speakers... :shock: :lol:
karanight

Post by karanight »

Yer and make it a venue for goths, but then when the lights are not on and i've got my disco lights on it'd make no difference except I don't think the landlord would think the same :twisted:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

karanight wrote:Your right, I've sent Bose an email to find out what kind of plastic they use to make em and for there advice
I'd be surprised if they tell you which plastic it is, especially if the speakers are still in production.

Probably just be ABS of some type or other.

While different materials do indeed give different sonic effects, Bose have been in the game for a long time now and are one of the most highly rated speaker makers around, so I wouldn't mess around with the boxes.

For paint, I'd look at automotive paints as they dry VERY quickly, so shouldn't have time to attack the plastic.

Once the primer is on, you are pretty much safe to use anything you want to finish the job.

Sandy
karanight

Post by karanight »

They are still in production but now they make the 802 mark 111. Pretty sure the cabs are the same and you're potbelly correct about them not telling me what I want to know, but its worth a try