Sports Bar Statistics

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Sports Bar Statistics

Post by Bigdog »

You all probably know my stance on sports bars and karaoke during televised sporting events.

If the football game is an early start (1PM) everyone starts drinkingat 8AM. So buy the end of the game at 4PM they are toast. You can forget about them being there for karaoke that starts at 9PM.

If the game is a 4PM start they start drinking at 12. So by 9 they are toast and I pray for the home team to lose so everyone goes home to cry in their beds. This keeps the karaoke crowds more normal.

If the game starts at 8PM and ends at 11PM they have been drinking since 4PM. If they stay for karaoke and the home team wins, they want to celebrate and could get rowdy. I pray for the home team to lose so they leave to cry in private.

Now this info came from the bar owner.

Since he has been leaving the game take priority over the karaoke, the karaoke singers stay away and come later or not at all.

He told me he lost $500 the last time the game started late. Because the karaoke crowd wasn't there.

This is an imortant statistic.

That means catering to the sports crowd isn't the best business decision for maximizing earnings.

Karaoke still rocks the cash register. He has a computer system so he can pull up the sales figures hour by hour. Now it could mean the football crowd slowed down their spending because they drank more earlier. I assume he is taking his figures at 9 and after which would be the normal karaoke hours. Still if the karaoke singers which would normally start drinking at 9PM aren't there the sales are down.

So the bar owner has to decide who is more important when you have a regularly scheduled entertainment besides a sporting event. Now there isn't a 8PM football game every karaoke night, but $500 lost is $500 lost. That can't be made up. Is the sports crowd worth losing $500?

This reflects how the karaoke singers feel about the sports interruption. Which also backs up my feelings and beliefs about how damaging it is to hold up the scheduled karaoke show for a nonkaraoke distraction.

The sprots crowds CAN NOT alone support a sports bar. Things like karaoke, DJs and bands still bring in a more steady income.

Sports bars keyhole their crowds and eliminate many of the people they could attract if they were just a regular bar that COULD put the game on TV during the entertainment with the volumn down.

Sports crowds are to fickle. If the teams are winning they are great loyal fans. If the teams are losing they SUCK.

The best scenario is for the game to be early and not during karaoke to maximize the bars income from both groups.